Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » All day sites (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: All day sites
Mike Judge
Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2001 08:45 PM      Profile for Mike Judge   Email Mike Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, aside from Film-Tech, what other sites do you find yourself being sucked into for extended periods of time? I'm curious becaue lately my variety of surfing has not been what is used to be. I enjoy cinematour.com and also imdb.com but I need more. What sucks you in?

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2001 09:31 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All day suckers? I regularly check a few webcams to see what is going on in the world. One set is at:
http://www.tf1.fr/livecam/france_se.htm

The day isn't complete without a visit to the wacko news at:
http://www.rense.com/

(Hint, sometimes the stuff isn't as wacko as other times, but most of the time I don my tinfoil helmet and enjoy.)

For the other side of 70mm, there is always:
http://www.geocities.com/meta8mm/index.html

One of my own sites in need of an update:
http://www.electricrailroad.com/

A one time link for steam buffs:
http://www.spikesys.com/Trains/loco_bot.html

There are dozens of others, but some of those might entertain for a while.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2001 01:37 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.drive-ins.com

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-18-2001 02:54 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebay, Ebay, EBAY!!

Besides the aforementioned auction site, I spend a bit of time at the following as well:
http://www.tibpriors.org
http://www.billboard.com
http://www.swingshift.net
http://www.triodeelectronics.com

Aaron

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2001 05:45 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
homtheaterforum.com and dvdtalk.com
See what's keeping people out of the theaters!

I'll also plug my favorite dead formats:
cedmagic.com and 8trackheaven.com

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-18-2001 06:35 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The OverClocked ReMix
This is a site where people remix (from scratch in most cases) videogame and anime music. I have contributed about have a dozen or so tracks. I, of course, expect everyone to be EXTREMELY interested in this link!

Film-Tech
This is a crazy site where some people post a message or two on a forum. They talk about moving pictures and other crazy cool stuff.

DSL Reports
Great site to test your line speed, regardless of whether you use DSL, Cable, dial up modem, T1, or anything else. Pretty accurate! Just go to "Tools" on the left, and then scroll down and click "Speed Test"

My latest results are 2968kbps down and 2664kbps up (full duplex). What kind of results is everyone else getting?

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2001 07:38 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1332 down and 1413 up from the university connection.

Apparently the connection Rocks!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-18-2001 06:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of connection do you have, Michael? T1?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2001 06:45 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
woo-hoo
21K down
39K up
I'm below the "ugh" line

We're smokin!

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-18-2001 07:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, you suck.

(And I say this as one who will soon be turning up two more T1s at work...)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-18-2001 08:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott!

I'd be interested to see the speed results from your SDSL connection and also your multiple T1 connections at work. I also wanna know what Pytlak is getting off of his Roadrunner cable modem.

Once I get better income, I think I'll pay the extra $20 and go for the 10meg connection. I'm not sure what good it would be, as not many sites can dish out info that fast. But it would be fun to brag about.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-18-2001 08:59 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, though, that having multiple T1 lines won't increase the maximum rate of transfer over what could be achieved with a single T1. What it does do is provide redundancy and the ability to do some load-balancing and traffic analysis in order to distribute traffic over multiple paths. In other words, the maximum speed isn't improved, but the overall performance of the network is better.

The best comparison would be to having a desktop computer with multiple processors. The extra processors don't improve the speed at which any one task can be performed, but they allow for better overall performance of multiple tasks being done simultaneously. The same applies for bandwidth.

Les Daniels
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2001 01:14 AM      Profile for Les Daniels   Email Les Daniels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Scott...although in a Unix multiprocessor environment single threads (no, not film ) can be spread across processors. Windows, a single thread cannot be split amongst processors.

** Speed 1211(down)/192(up) kbps ** LA CA
** Speed 694(down)/186(up) kbps ** SJC CA

That's with Bellsouth DSL in Georgia. I'm ashamed of the 694 Kbps *shudder*.

PS: Damn you Joe, and your full duplex line. I would love to be able to upload faster.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-19-2001 01:30 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, yes I know about what you are explaining, I guess I should have stated myself better. I am curious as to what the average T1 line would register on DSL Reports. When you set a new one up, test the line speed before anyone starts to use it. Compare it to the line that is already being used. I wonder how much normal traffic would affect the result?

You CAN upload faster, Les, you just have to fork over more $$$ per month to Bellsouth. With Qwest DSL I was paying $30 a month (plus $18 for ISP charges totalling $48 a month) for 640 down and 270 up. If I wanted to pay more I could increase the speed up to 7mbps receive and 1Mbps send. I don't know how much that costs, but I can imaging that the answer would be in the hundreds per month. Now I am paying $45 a month for 3mbps bi-directional. No additional ISP charges apply. This is not DSL or Cable modem, but a fiber optic line to my house. It hits the junction where it is delivered to my wall via Cat5e cable. I don't even have a modem. Here is a picture of how it comes into the house (goes from here directly to a computer, switch, hub, or router):

I knew you'd want to see this exciting picture! What crazy stuff will they think of next?!

By the way Scott, Wide Open West gave me a static IP!

Les Daniels
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2001 01:52 AM      Profile for Les Daniels   Email Les Daniels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, no more spending money on bandwidth. I have to be happy with my DSL

Joe, I just get over you having bidirectional and then you have to throw in that you have a static ip too? I'm going to smack you. I don't know when this century AT&T or Bellsouth will be getting around to throwing fiber up to the house (it's used on the roads for cable and phone). Probably not too soon with the DSL market just now emerging.

That's absolutely cool about the incoming line into your house, although it does raise security concerns. Obviously you must be on some type of WAN architecture then.

I will run a line test tomorrow at work to see the average capabilities of a single T1 line. Then I'll try the OC-3

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: