Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Good rep. titles for dinner theatre?

Author Topic: Good rep. titles for dinner theatre?
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2001 12:31 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now work in a dinner theatre as a part time projectionist, and we show second run pictures (like now we are showing bridget jones diary and the dish) and older classics. So far on the old ones, we've run Casablanca, Citizen Kane (both of which did so-so attendance) and now Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (which hardly anyone has showed up for). Now I know since its a dinner theatre, the dinner part excludes some of the moviegoers. Anyways, can anyone suggest some titles that might do well, or some titles (older ones) that youve run that you know are good prints out there? Thanks for your help!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-12-2001 02:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ravenous makes a great feature for a dinner theater. Make sure to do a promotion with the kitchen and serve Major Knox stew.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-12-2001 11:44 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover would probably not be a great idea, but maybe The Princess Bride or Charlie's Angels...something fun but not too taxing on the brain so as not to make the movie incomprehendable while you are chewing.

Smokey And The Bandit maybe...no wait...where on earth would you get a print of THAT from?

------------------
"If you think THIS is fantastic...wait until you see the full effect with the HIMP!"
- Chief Inspector Clouseau.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2001 12:02 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha John, gee, I wonder I suggested for a kid's program theyre testing now something like Clash of the Titans, Adventures of Robin Hood, etc. We'll see how well Willy Wonka does starting tomorrow.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2001 12:16 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Titus, Silence of the Lambs, Eating Raoul.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-13-2001 08:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, want to pack those kids in? Try these:

The Goonies (WB)
The Sandlot (Fox)
Toy Story 1&2 (BV)

...and of course the best kids movie of all time: Southpark!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2001 10:58 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goonies! Of course, how could I forget.... thanks. I did mention some Disney titles, so we'll see what happens there. The print of Willy Wonka came in the other day, surprisingly it was a re-strike, although Ive heard that alot of people are getting an old faded/worn print, so that was a nice surprise.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-13-2001 11:40 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tell you right now that getting Disney to let you play any of there movies that are past the second run deadline is impossable. Now when atlantis goes second run there will be no problem.

What you may need to do is a survey with the customers. Ask them what types of movies would they enjoy watching while eating. Give them a choice of catagories like drama comedy sci-fi etc. It is hard to sell a classic in this type of setting. Remember the type of food you are serving is what is going to keep people coming back not the movies. If the food is no good nothing will draw people in. In our area we have had two cinema grill type theaters and both failed in less than a year. The common thing I always heard was the food was no good.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: