Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Where were you 20 years ago? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Where were you 20 years ago?
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-08-2001 06:11 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I remember walking to the bus depot as a 15 year old to pick up this new print of some film called 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark' and carrying (with many unscheduled stops to recover) all six reels of it in two trunks back to the theatre. I ran it on 2000's and was surprised that this PG film had such violence in it. I watched it in the auditorium that night and was glued to the screen for all 112 minutes of it. It has been my favorite film ever since.

It's a shame Paramount don't seem to want to re-release it for its 20th anniversary, but it looks like the dvd at least will be out soon.

Anyway...thanks Steven for the greatest film ever made.

For those who need reminding how good this film is, go to www.indy20.com and download the trailer.

------------------------

"It's not the years, honey...it's the mileage" - Indiana Jones

|  IP: Logged

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2001 08:57 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm... 20 years ago. Well I was in nappies.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-08-2001 09:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 years ago? I was showing Raiders in 70mm at the K-B Cinema and many other K-B theatres in the DC metropolitan area....Wasn't that the summer for Superman II as well? If so, see to recall getting the Chicken Pox from one of our lovely patrons!

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2001 12:24 PM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 years ago I was teaching high school biology by day and running the booth at the old E.M.Loews Merrimack Park drive-in at night.Talk about getting tired! All in all it was fun.(carbon archs and all) The drive-in was in Methuen Ma.about five minutes from my house.

------------------

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-08-2001 01:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 years ago this week we were showing Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor in "Stir Crazy." Coming attractions: "Excalibur," "The Cannonball Run" and "The Legend of the Lone Ranger." Sheesh, it's amazing we're still here today!

We didn't get the above-mentioned "Raiders" until Labor Day weekend of that year! Thanks to all the megaplexes (which require more prints), it's actually easier for us small towns to get a print now than it was then. If Raiders had come out this weekend, we'd probably play it on 7/27 or 8/3, if not on the break.

Ray Faultless
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2001 02:14 PM      Profile for Ray Faultless   Email Ray Faultless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 years ago, I was at Swank Motion Pictures in New York.Shipping out over 100 prints per day, inspecting returned prints, editing R rated movies into PGs for high schools,repairing sprocket damage on prints back from jails where a cop was shot. They would reverse over and over that scene. Lots of fun. I loved and miss my years at Swank.

------------------

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2001 05:26 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost 21 years ago I was born. So, 20 years ago I was probably laying in a crib drooling on my blankie...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-08-2001 05:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 years ago I was standing in a very long line at the Century 21 to see Raiders of the Lost Ark in 70mm. Awesome! That was a long time ago. Ah, to be 70 again!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2001 06:21 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 years ago I'd never been to a movie in an indoor theatre (since my parents didn't do that). 20 years ago , July 1981, I was struggling through my last year of little league (actually "Dixie Youth" league) baseball in Cherokee County, Alabama. My father was my baseball coach, and he was also my 7th grade math teacher during the 1980-1981 school year. I was a lousy baseball player and always had been and would be, and my father thought by practicing me long and hard, I'd be better. I got one hit in my 3 summers of hell -- oops, little league, in the summers of 1979, 1980, and 1981.

I was 12, just about to turn 13 on August 13, 1981. A few days after my birthday, I had to have my appendix removed.

1981 was a very bad year for me, since there were other bad things. This "20 years ago" thread really brought back some bad memories.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-08-2001 07:25 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 years ago, i was running changeovers at the Clover Cinema, Cloverdale, CA, on Brenkert 60's with Magnarcs, running such titles as 'Raiders', 'Superman II', 'Cannonball Run', 'On The Right Track', 'Legend Of The Lone Ranger', 'Clash Of The Titans', and the rerelease of 'Empire Strikes Back' Those were definitely the days...

Aaron

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-08-2001 07:46 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
July 1981....Great summer in New York. I was working on putting together a Multi media show for the South Street Seaport in New York City. The area was in the process of being renovated by the Rouse Company. The show was being written by Rusty Russell and we were in the production stages. Story Boards were being drawn at this time. The building where the theatre was to be built was landmarked on the outside and we were digging inside. As the construction company dug out the inside of the building they came across the hull of a ship that had sunk before the landfill extended the island of Manhattan into the East River. Well this stopped construction for the next 14 months while they poked and probed the site.

This became a 120 Slide machines, 35 and 16mm film. Talking heads apearing in windows, lightning flashes and bows breaking on the "Seaport Adventure". Show lasted five years 7 days, show every hour on the hour from 12 noon to midnight. Good Year.

PS to Evans I also had a son 15 years old in the Pony leagues and I was his manager. He didn't do math as well as you...but he could hit.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2001 08:26 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 years ago I was working in a twin cinema with Bauer U3s and Specco platters and earning a lot more than I am now.One of the films and one of my favourites was Raiders actually I liked all of the raiders films but never had the opertunity to see it in 70mm.Also worked the odd shift at the two drive ins in town which were owned by the same company.I used to with another collegue rotate between the twin and a single screen,which used to break the bordom of running with platters and automation as the single was a change over theatre using Bauer B11s on 2000' spls.Back then you had to be licensed,things have changed over the last 20 yrs.The two drive ins in that town were closed in 85 the single theatre closed not long after, it used to be a news reel theatre in the early days then changed to screening feature movies up un till it closed about 87 I think,
(I'm not sure of the actual year) it only seated 250 people and was used to screen 3D when Jaws 3, Coming at you, Friday 13th 3 and the re release of the House of Wax, how many of you remember those and the twin was changed to 7 screen theatre in 89 and the 2 Bauer U3s are still running.

Steve

Robert Golding
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2001 03:27 AM      Profile for Robert Golding   Email Robert Golding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 yrs ago I was doing the same thing I'm doing now. I didn't have grey hair and didn't have any children. I presently have 5 wonderful and active children. Some people just start the family a little late in life.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-09-2001 11:08 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
An 11 year old running carbon arc changeovers in a college auditorium and xenon changeovers at the local twin. Scary, huh?

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 07-09-2001 12:26 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOoooh I can't wait until I can tell people that I was running some old movie 20 years ago --

Unfortunately I was three 20 years ago... so I wasn't running much of anything. Although I'm pretty sure I knew how the remote control worked for the tv.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: