Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Lithium-Ion vs NiMH Batteries

Author Topic: Lithium-Ion vs NiMH Batteries
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-30-2001 04:49 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought a replacement cell phone after drowning the old one. The battery supplied is 600mAH capacity which is proving to be not enough. Alternates are 900mAH in Lithium Ion at $65.00 or a 900mAH NiMH at
$29.00. What will be the difference between these two with reguard to number of times it can be recharged, general life etc.? The lower price sure would be nice if the differences are little.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Judge
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 05:36 PM      Profile for Mike Judge   Email Mike Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lithium Ion batteries usually have a longer life, and can be topped off at any point, where as with the others it's recommended that you 'drain' the battery before recharging, giving it greater life. In my previous phones I would always get a lithium battery, I've had better results with the lithiums.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 05:54 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have the Nokia 6160 with NiMH and I got an extra battery and one of those charger where you can place the phone and the extra battery. I couldn't justify the $100.00 (at that time) expense of the Lithium Ion battery. When I got a different job and went out and bought the exact same phone. I got a refurbished one and it came with the Lithium battery as a bonus. The whole phone cost $100.00. Now I live with just one battery and the simple charger. Even my yak on the phone, business partner with the 1,100 minute plan gets by with just one Lithium battery.

So when given the choice, buy the better battery.

Always buy the better tool.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-30-2001 06:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lithium Ion is much better. NiMH's aren't quite as good. And NiCD's are even worse!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: