Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movie "theater" reviews (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Movie "theater" reviews
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-30-2001 01:52 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been getting this request a lot lately to open up a forum specifically for reporting presentation quality in theaters. (No, it's not just Evans submitting the idea over and over. These emails are actually coming from different people). The general idea is to open up a forum that encourages people to report good and bad experiences with specific theaters, including specifics such as auditorium number and sound formats (THX, DTS, mono, etc) whenever possible. It would be a sort of public TAP program.

Now there are two things that can happen here. First is positive. Theaters who put on a great presentation will be reported here as a quality place to see a movie. It will let people (at least those who read this site) know where their best chances are of having a good experience at a particular theater. It will also quietly let the people behind the scenes at a particular theater get a pat on the back. Any studios lurking about will also see the reports from the field as well as the district offices for these theaters.

On the flip side, such a forum could undoubtedly be a blunt and harsh instrument to those theaters who do a poor job of putting on a show. Are we worried about hurting people's feelings who do a sloppy job? Or would it be more politically appropriate to not post such a forum to keep these theaters running along quietly?

In the end, would theaters reading bad reviews of their location take the extra effort to improve? Would this just anger people and accomplish nothing? Will people take the time to report GOOD experiences? Will people NOT post reports on THEIR OWN theaters? Would this possibly assist the studios and the TAP program in their quest for presentation excellence? Could this assist companies like Kodak and the printing labs of patterns with particular releases? And so forth, and so on...

Other things to consider would be how such a forum should be organized. Should this be done per theater complex, or by movie title? (I am leaning more towards movie title, for it would be potentially interesting to see how the print condition decreases over time. Also, there are several hundred theaters in the US alone!)

I've toyed with the idea for months now since the first time it was brought up and I've decided to just let the members vote it out. Please respond here on the forum (email responses will not be counted) as to your opinion, for or against such a forum, along with your reasoning. The majority vote will be the deciding factor.

This should be interesting.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-30-2001 02:14 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea but I agree that it could quickly turn into a flame fest.

Maybe there could be some sort of posting guidelines? I'm sure the UBB program isn't set up for this but I have an idea to spitball:

There could be categories for each aspect of the presentation... framing, focus, sound, etc. Each one would have a rating from 1 to 10. If it was set up as a form with check boxes or entry boxes for for each category. Not only would this keep things on an objective level but it would give a way to calculate average ratings on each theatre.

Of course there'd have to be a text box for people to type in general comments and stuff.

Mike Judge
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 05:42 AM      Profile for Mike Judge   Email Mike Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't think that a theatre with a bad presentation would be reading this site. I like the idea, with Randy's ideas, it could be a very good thing.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-30-2001 08:13 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of like the idea. I would prefer that it be organized by theatre name, in order to facilitate discussion about whether each theatre mentioned _usually_ has presentation problems or if it only occasionally makes mistakes. Every theatre has good and bad shows, and so it's a good idea to not limit discussion to the context of a particular title.

Also, posting guidelines would need to be enforced. Certain information should be required or strongly encouraged, such as the date and time of attendance, auditorium number, and film title. It should also be required or encouraged that users state any affiliations which may affect their reviews (e.g. employement at the same theatre or chain or employment at a competitor in the same market, etc.).

In general, though, I do like the concept.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 08:35 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Randy cut to the chase on the first post! Good goin' guy!

Reviews are subjective, forcing posters to use a form would instill at least a small amount of objectivity. The next problem to tackle would be further standardizing the ratings. Like "film done right," I suspect "reviewing done right" would take a lot more effort than most people are willing to provide.

Brad, you wrote: "It will let people (at least those who read this site) know where their best chances are of having a good experience at a particular theater." unless you somehow linked to Yahoo movie times and gave Scott a nervous breakdown increasing server capability, this would seem to be more wishful thinking than any real usefulness. The idea of putting these reports in front of the public and district offices might have a small positive effect, but one must temper such optimism with the fact that bean counters haven't loosened purse strings or returned full time projectionists to many theatres, even though we have regularly complained about those issues here.

I would find the forum amusing for the possible flames that might occur. Where some people see art in slice-n-dice movies, I see art in well-crafted flames that take the anger of a shitty experience and flip it against the perpetrator.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 08:53 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Auditorium number could be problematic, Scott. Some theatres are built in a crazy quilt pattern. Example: Miami Lakes has an auditorium off the lobby on the right, a long hall with a side hall on the left containing two auditoriums, two side hallways on the right with two auditoriums each, and auditoriums off the main hallway. No rational numbering system is possible, much less one that an outside observer would understand intuitively. When the point 2 position is manned, no one is allowed down the halls to count auditoriums or guess at what number they might be.

One issue that would be tricky to address would be the possibility of a reviewer coming across illegal activity. While those interested in presentation might not focus on the problem, it is there, it does affect the theatre and distributor, and there are legal implications to reporting it. I've done more than my fair share of theatre audits, and if I went in on blind checks with the idea of looking for problems, I'm sure I'd find doormen passing in friends, ticket scams, intentional misrings at concession, auditorium swappers, and other theft in addition to the presentation issues Evans mentions.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 09:07 AM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see theaters organized by state, then by chain/owner if possible. The way prints get moved around the megaplex going by title would be tough.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-30-2001 09:31 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there are already two sites that I know of that rate movie theatres. Digital City is a forum-type discussion for a limited number of cities and SRAT's Movie Theater Reviews is a form-type system.

Digital City reviews are hard to find (here's a sample) and you will see a lot of "I liked the movie" type of review mixed with reviews of the complex. I wouldn't go the forum route, as it would encourage off-topic discussion. SRAT's form system looks decent, but I don't think it's been updated in a couple of years. Also, his form sends an email that he has to convert.

I thought about doing something like this on my site a while back, but (ideally) it would have involved going to a live database instead of an offline database producing static pages. Too much work and not enough time.

Maybe Brad can get Evans to share some of his Perl knowledge to come up with a live version of his Decatur/Huntsville database. If the site's running on Apache, I think there's support of MySQL and PHP databases built in (or there are mods available).

Regarding auditorium numbers, I've always used the standard of ... Looking at the front door, start on your left with #1 and go clockwise around the perimeter of the complex until you're back at the front door.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-30-2001 10:00 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhh, after a little more digging, I found out that SRAT died and one of his friends is trying to keep up the page as a tribute. It hasn't seen any new reviews posted since 1998.

But if you look, you can get the jist of it.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 11:35 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This could be interesting as long as people didnt flame or be too harse on a particular theatre. People need to remember that a theatre might have its good and bad days.

------------------
------------------
Michael Brown
Bradford Student Cinema
www.Bradfordstudentcinema.co.uk

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 12:47 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've been getting this request a lot lately to open up a forum specifically for reporting presentation quality in theaters. (No, it's not just Evans submitting the idea over and over. These emails are actually coming from different people).

Actually, I don't think I've ever actually requested a forum for theatre reviews, although the link to my site, which contains reviews, is in my signature, which appears on most of my posts.

Getting people to be objective is the most difficult part of letting people post reviews. I know this because at times, I've found it a bit difficult to be objective at times, but I've made myself do it.

Since most of the people on this forum work at a movie theatre, I'm not sure that having staff members of theatres rate their own theatres or rate other (possible competing) theatres is a good idea, and may lead to personal problems on these forums. I have a tendency to believe that this might be a very bad idea. If I knew there were staff members of the theatres in my area here, I probably would not criticize their presentation here on the forums simply to avoid personal problems with people. I'd let them come to the reviews on my site rather than bringing my reviews to the forums if that were the case.

I think reviews of theatres should be done by customers of theatres, or a third party specializing in such reviews. This third party should not work for or be associated with any particular theatre or theatre company. The reviews should be in two categories: technical and non-technical. Technical reviews are by people who have enough knowledge to look for a wide range of technical problems when watching a presentation. Nontechnical reviews are done by the average customer who has no idea how film works. The two types of reviews would likely address different aspects of a theatre's environment and presentation. Mine are of the tchnial variety, which most of the comment cards that Regal received from customers are probably of the non-technical variety. I've never seen an existing "theatre review" sytem that addresses all the issues I feel are important, so I do it my own way.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 04:47 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it would be a great idea. If someone bad judges a cinema, i don't think they will care because they really don't care about their presentation if they make it look like sh*t. So WHY WOULD they care now. I am sure people would complain a lot but they just don't care.
Demetris Thoupis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-30-2001 06:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe there ought to be a way to rate the "audience" too. There are times in my theatre where I'm sure most of the crowd has an awful experience due to seat kickers, talkers, crying babies, fidgeting kids, aisle-runners, Pepsi spillers, candy throwers, cell phone talkers, frequent bathroom goers, candy wrapper rattlers, popcorn crunchers, chewing tobacco spitters, lighted-digital-watch time checkers, etc. It's impossible to monitor everyone all the time.

And there are plenty of other nights where everyone has a great time.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 06-30-2001 10:30 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do like the idea. I would also opt for listing by state, chain and/or independent theatres as opposed to films playing. Some theatres not only move the films from one auditorium to another but they have been known to swap the numbers on the auditoriums as well.

I think all registered members should be allowed to post their critical notes. I like the Idea of a form that could be printed out with the critical questions so we are all working toward the same end.
Personal opinions can always be added.

This forum can be a good thing as long as we do not make it personal to the owner or the employees.

Everyone here shares a common love for film. We all want it to be shown in the correct format with the proper sound.

I would probably be more critical of first run houses than I would of the theatres with the under belly runs.

Many of the low grossing auditoriums do not generate the monies to maintain equipment the way the large chains do. However if they run a clean theatre with proper presentation they can survive.

My vote would be to proceed with the new forum.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2001 06:17 AM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"This forum can be a good thing as long as we do not make it personal to the owner or the employees."

That's nice, but how much of a theaters problems are employee, management, or owner related!?

From experience, bad management and cheap owners are the biggest reasons for bad shows.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: