Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Private Screenings

Author Topic: Private Screenings
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2001 08:18 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Hi all

I have a few questions about private screenings of films in theatrettes.

1. Do your cinemas allow this?

2. Is it expensive? Is it popular?

3. Is this a growing area of your business?

Thanks Peter

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 12:33 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming you mean theater rentals? Such as after hours (or before). We usually do a couple a month (birthdays parties, schools, etc.). In my opinion they are definatly worth doing, expecially if it is a group of kids who's parents give them money for snacks. This can be a big money maker in the concession area for some theaters.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 03:15 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah and most theatre owners, like john and dave & dave dont report the box office grosses anyways fpr the rentals so ita all profit to them

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 03:55 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds ok. Those big movie studios won't care much about the loss of a little revenue. They're generous to a tee.

But what if the film you are interested in is foreign and a few years old?

Is it easy (and cheap) for the theatre to get a hold of a 35mm print?

cheers Peter

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 11:23 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my theatre, I do a monthly bank show for their senior citizen customers, and we get older, non-release films from the Classics division of the various studios. Costs on those print rentals can range from 100 bucks to 500 bucks. As a theatre manager, you pretty much have to at least double that cost (with no free vending, otherwise the cost again increases) to make a profit.

For example, we let them order movies in the 150 dollar range, provide donuts and coffee for the seniors, and make the tickets for the 2 showings before we open. We charge them around 600 for the show.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 06-26-2001 09:58 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote said: "Yeah and most theatre owners, like john and dave & dave dont report the box office grosses anyways for the rentals so its all profit to them"

If a theatre manager or owner rents his theatre out, to show a film that is exhibiting he has an obligation to inform the film distributor and to pay them for its showing. The film is only on loan to the theatre and most of the time, if there is a special occasion for a private showing, a deal can be struck with the film distributor.

Running private shows and not reporting the income is illegal.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2001 08:33 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a church youth group rent four films such as Prince of Egypt and Apollo 13 for showing this past New Years. Becides the film rentals, we sold about 700 dollars worth of concession. So it worked out really well.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2001 04:09 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,
It depends on your definition of a screening. At the cinema I am working, the exhibitor is also the distributor for most film companies in my country. A screening refers to a special preview of the film seen only by the distributors (the boses) and by the projectionists. No one else. YES they do allow them. We preview films that will be released after one or two months in the US although we release them long afterwards. I've seen Tomb Raider about 2 weeks before the official opening and I also have many other examples.
See Ya all
Demetris Thoupis

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2001 11:59 AM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The majority of our business is in private screenings, so we charge a rental fee for the use of the theatre, the equipment, the projectionist and an usher. The film's origin is entirely up to the exhibitor unless they specifically request that we make the arrangements for the print. If tickets are sold they must use our box office and give us a cut.

As a rough estimate for what a whole private screening costs, I usually tell clients to be prepared to shell out $1000 for the day (our fees plus exhibition rights.)

This is a popular arrangement for directors who wish to screen dailies, gala openings, private parties, and film classes.

We assign all liability for revenue reporting to the person renting the theatre, and they must provide proof that they have rights before I'll screen the print.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2001 11:58 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally show the new releases for my floor staff at midnight on the release date of the film (just in case the studios sent microscopic cameras in the can with the print )
This keeps them happy, and we can have fun criticizing the movie out loud & laughing really hard cause there's no one else in the place (except for the cleaning service, but they're in the lobby cleaning up & they don't speak english anyway...)

Our corporate management doesn't mind this, but a week ago, one of my projectionists decided to show Legally Blonde without asking our General Manager first, and the GM banned our showings for a few days. That was until I talked to him one of his better days, and he reinstated the showings.

But I'll probably keep doing these until I find greener multiplexes of employment, cause (let's face it) sitting in a theater with 200 other people who are chomping popcorn, slurping on empty cokes, and talking on cell phones isn't what I call seeing a movie!

------------------
I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: