Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » crouching tiger etc.

Author Topic: crouching tiger etc.
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-20-2001 01:46 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We opened this thing 2 weeks ago. Aside from the photography why would anybody want to see this crap. The flying? sequences just look like people dangling from ropes, they should have left the cables in, it couldn't have been worse and would have saved money.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-20-2001 01:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like this is a film review. Feel free to bring that movie in that forum back to the top.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-20-2001 03:06 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to remember... The "Kung-Fu" movie is a very valid genre in the Asian culture. It would be right up there with the "Robin Hood" or "King Arthur" stories of Western culture.

Consequently, there are some very strict "rules" about things like plot lines and character development.... Strength, honor and courage, for example. Other things like "reality" aren't so important. It all goes to the principle of "Suspension of Disbelief". For example, when you see Robin Hood shoot an arrow and it splits the bullseye, right down the shaft of another arrow you say to yourself, "Allright!!!". You don't stop to think that this is a physical impossibility.

It's all about cultural differences. This movie is a "crossover" from the Asian culture. When Asian people go see a movie like this, they have the same attitudes toward it that you would have when you go see a "Robin Hood" movie. They WANT to see characters doing superhuman stunts, even if they KNOW that stuff like that could never happen in real life.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2001 07:04 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to blow your comparison out of the water Randy, but I have seen marksmen who have split an arrow in the bullseye. They were metal shaft arrows though, so it only went halfway through the other one.

I get what you were trying to say though .

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-20-2001 09:45 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too have seen arrows split like that.

Usually, the arrow will go about half way down the shaft and then split out the side of the one already in the target. It will go flying off in a random direction. If you follow the rules of archery competitions you'll know that in order for a shot to count, the arrow has to embed itself into the target. Thus, if one arrow splits the shaft of another, it doesn't count unless it goes completely down into the target or flies off in another direction and hits the target.

(Being brought up in Pennsylvania, I have spent a lot of time shooting "projectiles" at things. )

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: