Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Jurassic part 3 aspect ratio (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Jurassic part 3 aspect ratio
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2001 10:00 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, does anyone know if this is to be released in scope. I ask this because our preview print of Mummy Returns had a scope version of the JP3 trailer attached. The first 2 were in flat but of course we have a change of director now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Brown
Bradford Student Cinema www.Bradfordstudentcinema.co.uk

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-16-2001 12:33 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
According to countingdown.com:

quote:
Dan from DansJP3Page has confirmed with director Joe Johnston that the aspect ratio of "Jurassic Park 3" will be 1.85:1. The same widescreen look that is presented on the orginal "Jurassic Park" and "The Lost World". Johnston comments saying:
The best reason for 1.85:1 is the subject matter: Big, tall dinosaurs. They'd have to kneel down to get into a 2.35 frame.

I say: So, then, why not IMAX? Bean counter weenies.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-16-2001 01:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's a lot of bull. The probable reason they're using 1.85:1 is because it's easier (cheaper?) to make the video transfer.

I hate this kind of stuff ("The dinosaurs would have to squat down to fit..."). I hate patronizing talk like that when a real question is asked.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-16-2001 05:20 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the camera man could stand farther away!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-16-2001 06:45 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is logic to using 1.85 aspect in keeping things that u want to look tall look tall. Example the batman movies were done in flat because they wanted the buildings to look tall. Now look at Judge Dredd, I know bad movie but this is just an example, Look at the buildings in some of the city scenes and they just do not look tall enough. So there is some logic in the choices of producing a film... THey could have used super35mm wich would not cause a cost factor other than sqeezing the image at the optical printer.

Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2001 09:10 PM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>'Dinosaurs would have to squat down to fit'<

John Wayne riding a horse always looked good in CinemaScope and he never had to squat down to keep his head in the frame.

Michael.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2001 07:57 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To make the 2.35:1 trailer they must have cropped the original 1.85:1 height. Interesting..

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 06-17-2001 04:01 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,
Is there any chance of 70mm blow ups like the origional JP?
Thanks,

Erick

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-17-2001 05:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't heard of any 70mm prints of Jurassic Park are you sure
where did it play?

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2001 05:17 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason is flat is that the other two were flat.....making it easy to reuse some of the same footage.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-17-2001 05:33 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I know is that Universal put all there attention into the DTS system for this movie. Had not heard about any 70mm prints being issued.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-17-2001 07:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There were never any 70mm prints of the Jurassic Park series made. (Erick - Did you see it at GCC Northpark by any chance?)

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2001 07:19 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So thats why i can't get the scope trailer focused sharp!

I thought a trip to the optician might be in order!

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 06-17-2001 10:31 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,
Right on the nose!!! I was never really that sure of it being released in 70mm.If you think back to the long gone days of the Best Modern Theater that Dallas had to offer,I have a group picture of a few friends in front of that little black billboard with white letters outside of the theater that sez: 70mm 6 channelTHX DTS Now showing J.P. and the show times that are somewhat obscured.
However,I trust that you know best!!!
You know; now that I think about it,
I dont remember that board ever not stating 70mm . I guess it was just a reference to the capabilities of the theater.I really miss the
North Park 1&2.
Erick

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-17-2001 10:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If that board read 70mm, then it must've been a managerial mistake. 99.9% of the time the board was correct though.

We did get people thinking that we did have a 70mm print, but I would attribute that to the show prints and the newly installed dts system. I don't ever remember seeing it being advertised as 70mm.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: