Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How's This For Stupid?

Author Topic: How's This For Stupid?
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-07-2001 12:04 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My father in law works in a stone quarry & related this story of last week. A new Ford F250 crosses the scale & comes into the yard to be loaded. The driver tells the loader operator to "fill her up". Company policy is to load pick ups to no more than 2000 lbs. That much crushed granite is a moderate heap in the middle. The Ford driver says he put the 2 foot high extensions on the sides and the dual wheels on for extra capacity and insists on more. He is sent to the office to sign a waiver and returns with a load order to "load per drivers directions". The truck is loaded to the top plus some. The scale indicates that the load is a little over 16000 lbs, not including the vehicle..A couple hours later on the way home the Ford is spotted dead in the road with the middle of the chassis touching the ground, it folded just behind the cab.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-07-2001 12:37 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone that was that stupid had it coming.......

It is a wonder that F250 did not roll on its side when turning a corner.

I remember when I rented a 26,000 GVW Ryder truck to pick up a load of metal theater seats in Seattle about 15 years back. Driving a top-heavy rig requires extra caution, that I can tell you. I could feel the truck "fighting" itself while going around city corners. It was a case of 60 miles of "White Knuckle" driving....

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2001 01:29 AM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it does sound kinda dumb. On the other hand, Bill, you did mention

F O R D .....

which also means:

Found On Road Dead
Fix Or Repair Daily

In this case the FORD is probably dead meat, but there could be hope for the driver. Just read of some promising medical research where stem cells can be manipulated to go into the brain and regenerate replacements for cells that have died.

As Gene Wilder said in "Young Frankenstein,"

IT... COULD... WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-07-2001 01:59 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Joe.... I have a Ford F-250.....Good rig. It does not have Firestones on it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-07-2001 10:04 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me of the time I took my roommate's old car to pick up some things across town. (An old Toyota Corolla liftback.)

I was out on the highway , going about 60 MPH, and I noticed the steering wheel was fighting me every time I took a turn. I'd try to turn and it wanted to go straight. I'd be IN a turn and try to straighten out and it wanted to keep turning.

I got home and told him that he ought to get the front end aligned because the car won't steer right. He told me that the FRONT end of the car was in PERFECT alignment. It's just that the frame had rusted completely through and the only thing holding the back end onto the front end was the body panels!

I asked him, "Why didn't you TELL me I was driving a "Herbie-mobile"!?" He said, "Well, you didn't ask..."

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-07-2001 11:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Joe, Don't forget that it also stands for "First On Race Day" as well. As I always say I'll take a Ford any day over a Chebie man.
Mark @ GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: