Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Made Them Want to Leave

Author Topic: Made Them Want to Leave
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-04-2001 11:40 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not too long ago a couple was observed making a dash to the balcony which was closed. The manager asked me to go out and ask them to return downstairs. They vehemently refused. They were very nasty. We turned the lights on so they wouldn't trip and go over the rail and the manager asked if I could make them want to leave. After removing all the port glass I wound the 2nd and 3rd reels (we use 6000ft) to the crookedest & most out of balance reels we have. Theese reels on supply make a nice scraaaaape-clank on each revolution and shake so badly on rewind that they must be held on. This combined with open proj. doors and a well worn print & they were back where they should have been in an hour. Noise in the balcony has to at extreme levels to be heard downstairs. I guess we shouldn't have but sometimes you need to make a point.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2001 12:20 AM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it a Young Couple or an old one?

The 7-11 stores used to have a lot of trouble with teenagers congregating, and a very successful solution was reported to be playing music by Mantovani in the stores.

The Teenagers went off Screaming into the night and were never seen again.

One of these days I might show up at the Byrd. Will you let ME sit in the balcony? That is, if I haven't been Thrown Out after playing the Wurlitzer. Front row is my favorite place, and often has the best view of the screen. Why don't you fix it up and make nice Loge seats for which can charging extra?

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2001 12:44 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, next time just tell them to go ahead and stay, but to try not to scream when the foot long rat comes out to investigate.

Once they are seated, race around the back rows with a broom, whacking at the seats.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2001 11:26 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhhh, for a theatre WITH an actual balcony!
I would have to INSIST that I be allowed to sit there (we never did much as kids because that's where the smokers sat). Of course, I'd be more than willing to politely "tip" (bribe?) the hard working projectionist for the pleasure........

Gordon Hedges III
Jealous of everyone not me

- posted 06-05-2001 12:12 PM      Profile for Gordon Hedges III   Email Gordon Hedges III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only balcony theatre I remember was in Denver, Colorado. But I forgot the name of it. Joe or Brad, can you tell me what United Artist Theatre that was on Colorado Boulevard? I was told that it was closed and torn down. Sad to hear, because I enjoyed that and the United Artist Continental (back when it was one screen).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-05-2001 06:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was The Cooper. Later UA bought it and changed the name to... get this: The United Artists. Wow. What a name! People still called it the Cooper, though. It was torn down and turned into a Barnes & Noble. Wouldn't you rather have a book store that serves coffee (what the hell?) than a great movie theater?

The Esquire used to have a balcony, as did a few others in Denver. They put a wall up in the balcony at the Esquire so they now have two "auditoriums". The whole place is really slimy (not to mention the worst seats I have ever sat in). I wouldn't recommend a visit.

Gordon Hedges III
Jealous of everyone not me

- posted 06-06-2001 03:03 AM      Profile for Gordon Hedges III   Email Gordon Hedges III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I was right... The United Artist Theatre.

Thanks, Joe. Balcony theatres are hard to come by nowadays, since everyone seems to want the new style of STADIUM SEATING. At our theatre, we actually have a small ledge with just two seats for wheelchair seating at the upper level of our largest stadium seating auditorium. The cool thing about those seats, the arm rest in the middle lifts up to make a comfortable "Love Seat".

Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2001 04:19 AM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll glout on this one. My theatre has a great balcony. The original theatre was a playhouse built in 1926 and converted into an 8 screen movie theatre in 1996. We're the only ones in Metro Detroit for a first or second run house that has one.

Uptown Birmingham 8
Birmingham, Michigan

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-06-2001 08:11 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they ask, they will often be told to go ahead, but if they don't they are asked to return downstairs. Balcony IS open most Sat. nites and other times as needed. The insurance company requests that it be used as seldom as possible. They were 30ish, real assholes, yuppies. The balcony has stadium seating. Friends, celebrities, etc., people with babies are also allowed up.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2001 09:29 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe mentioned that they tore the Cooper theatre down and built a "coffee serving - Barnes & Noble" bookstore in it's place.

Here in Nashville we have a gorgeous art-deco theatre that has been converted into a bookstore. It's called "Book Star", and when they remodeled the place into the bookstore, they left most of the theatre intact. The top of the screen peeks out over the top of the magazine racks, and the projection booth has been turned into the childrens book area. It's a beautiful theatre inside and out.

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Nashville, Tennessee
(Drive-In Theatre - Start-Up)

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2001 10:43 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Barry, the old Belle Meade Theatre, right? I've been in that Bookstar 4 or 5 times and I thought it was really cool that left a lot of the signs of the place being a theatre intact. Do you know when that theatre originally opened and closed (as a theatre?)

BTW, thanks for posting the picture. It wasn't there when I first made my reply. It's a really neat-looking building.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2001 04:08 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Just to let you know. The Esquire installed all new seats two years ago. I am sure that it won't be enough to get you to go there.

It was much more fun as a single screen theatre.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-06-2001 06:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New seats? I'm on my way! As you know, I live for art theaters. The more messed up the subject of the film is, the more "brilliant" I think it is. It also helps when there is not a word of English in the movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: