Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cell phones (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cell phones
Mike Judge
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2001 03:43 AM      Profile for Mike Judge   Email Mike Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, we all know how annoying these can be, especially in our industry. But I'm willing to bet that on our desks, most of us have one. What kind? Do you have a preference? I've always had a Motorola and probably won't switch. I currently have a Motorola Timeport with Sprint service. I know all about the advantages and disadvantages, but you thoughts please.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-04-2001 03:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Motorola PCS phone with Sprint and all I can say is I am thinking of writing a review on it.

I've never had such bad cell phone service. It seems that all of my friends that have Sprint have the same problems that I do:

• Calls randomly cutting in and out
  • Calls randomly dying (almost always in the first 5 seconds of a new "billed minute"
  • Calls that never connect, yet are billed.
  • Audio randomly becoming distorted to the point of not being able to understand the person on the other end of the phone.
  • Incredibly HARSH frequency response! Definite ear fatigue after short sessions.
  • Sometimes voice mail answers the call without ringing the phone.
  • Voice mail messages commonly arrive 3 days later.
  • Cannot play back messages from a local phone and successfully stop the infernal beeping of the phone alerting me to a message. Only calling in from the actual cell phone will stop the torture. (I'm going to hurt the next guy who calls and says "hey, I guess I'll call you later" on my cellular voice mail!)

I was MUCH happier with my Primeco service. Who are they now? Cingular or something like that? Anyone know if their service is still good? Sprint sucks!

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2001 04:54 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok.

Nokia 5190 with a sim chip. Voicestream provider. Works Great. Follows the Highways well except from Rochester to Buffalo (grr) and has east coast free long distance. My bills are not that bad, and work calls are reimbursed. Overall great service and great battery life. Now if I could just find a good belt clip that wouldn't break in thirty minutes my life wold be set. And Brad you are right. Sprint was my last carrier. I just loved when I used to get voice mail a day and a half later from my area director. And he thought that I was just ignoring him.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2001 10:13 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Nokia phone with Sprint PCS that I bought 3 years ago. It works great for me. One thing to be pointed out here is that Sprint was a late comer to wireless, but they have built the first all digital market from scratch. With that said, as a result there network is much smaller in size comapred to SWBELL (Now Cingular) and GTE, PRIMECO, (Now Verizon) who all already had a big cellular infastructure in place and just needed to upgrade instead of starting all over. I will agree with Brad on the point that when I first signed up for service I had alot of the same problems, but as Towers were put up and service areas extended, I have not had very many problems with them at all.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 06-04-2001 10:30 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Motorola Star Tac with an AT&T plan. I have never had a problem with the phone or with service. It works Coast to Coast.

I also purchased the Hands free unit with the ear attachment for my car.I am usingthe unit from Sharper Image Catalogue. It is fabulous and easy to use.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2001 11:41 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't have one - don't need one. The further away from a telephone I am the better I feel. Besides, people know where I'm at all the time and most of those places have published phone numbers. Call me.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-04-2001 02:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nokia 5185 with service from VeriZon... Seems to work fine for me service-wise... One of these days I will figure out how to access the damned voice mail box as i keep getting voice messages and cannot listen to them

Aaron

Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2001 05:05 PM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nokia 5190. Like the phone. Getting really tired of VoiceStream. They have this habit of billing me for getting my messages from my VM via a land-line. It's supposed to be free, but three times now my bill has included air time for retrieving VM, even when using a land-line. If you're with VoiceStream, read you bill carefully.

overall, i like the phone and the sound quality is good along the I-5 corridor (OR, CA, WA). Really hoping they get the coast covered soon.

i also have a pager, that way the phone doesn't have to be on all the time and only three people have the pager number, so when it buzzes, i know i want to talk to them.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2001 09:46 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont remember the brand, but i bought a cell phone recently for only a couple dollars.

The thing is, I couldnt get it to work just right.
I could touch buttons and they would play cute little songs, but i could never dail out.

I opened it up to see if there was a wire loose, but i found that there were no wires, but only a bunch of gum!?!

wierd

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-04-2001 11:08 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using a Qualcomm QCP2700. It's old and big with the optional battery, but it has reallly long standby & talk times. One thing I wonder about on those cutesy folding phones is how many flexes the cable between the sections will take before one of the conductors breaks.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2001 12:41 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using a Nokia 5190 with VoiceStream PrePay service. I love this phone, great reception, plays music, and when you're bored there are games!!! The only problem I hear from some friends is once the phone gets older the battery gets loose which can cause you to lose calls. I've had mine since Christmas and its already starting to loosen.

I love VoiceStream, if you have any problems they are open 24/7 and the service is great...even for a prepay (I have used other services, which were never quick to help for prepays).

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-05-2001 07:20 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I've got one of those "cutesy folding phones"!

It's the Motorola Star-Tac. I got it when the Nokia that I had conked out. I haven't had trouble with equipment since... and I am pretty hard on stuff like this. It gets tossed into a tool case or dropped on the floor pretty regularly.
Its batteries will last for about a day and a half on standby. If I make a lot of calls during the day I may end up recharging the battery, though. But then ANYBODY with half a brain would know to get an extra battery for their phone, wouldn't they?

As far as service, it's Alltel. They aren't great but they don't suck TOO badly, either. I'd say they only have slight negative air pressure. I have the national roaming plan. I haven't had trouble connecting from just about anywhere I go, except when I'm on the highway, up in the mountains or out in the boonies. But that's to be expected.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-05-2001 09:55 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Nokia 6188 with service by Telus Canada and in Ontario it is great but when I am in Buffalo- ROchester it sucks
We are supposed to have Roaming service with Sprint in that area but the phone will only find a credit card service of Verizon.
So in NY state it is DOA.
It seems to be something in the phone since other friend with different phones and telus service have no problems

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2001 04:09 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a Nokia 5190 for about 2 years now through Pac Bell (now cingular) wireless. As for the phone itself, I have nothing but praise for it. Good audio quality, not too bulky, sturdy (the phone has survived several of my tantrums involving my hurling it onto the linoleum floor)

as for the SERVICE -
absolute without a doubt THE most AWFUL service I have *EVER* had with a cellular (since buying my first nokia bag phone in 1991)

*Dropped calls - even with full signal strength and not physically moving at all. A MAJOR annoyance expecially if you are calling tech support and have just finished waiting on hold for 45 minutes for a technician.

* System Busy
*EVERY* night between the hours of 9 and 2am it is DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to place or recieve a call. I'll just get a 'System Busy' along with a fast busy tone. ARRRRGH! What if i am on the highway and have an emergency?! I am not going to re-dial my phone for upwards of 15 to 25 minutes just to call 911!!!! and why can't anyone leave me a voice mail? anyone calling me will get *doo doo doo.. all circuits are busy please try again later*

*voicemails not arriving* Brad mentioned this, and he's right. sometimes it takes HOURS to get a new voice mail. and other times voicemail will show up because the damn phone never rang!

It's really awful.. and ya know, it's not just cingular. Nextel phones do the same thing, at&t phones do the same thing.. Come to think of it, I never noticed this kind of erratic service until all of the cell phones have become digital/GSM phones. This kind of thing was RARE with old analog phones. I thought that as time progresses, technology was supposed to get better, not decline! uugh!. If it wasn't for the fact that I screwed up and gave my cell number as my sole contact number to a lot of friends and collegues, i would have abandoned cellular phones a long time ago and stuck to my trusty motorola single numeric line pager.

*whew* i feel better now
-sean

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2001 06:14 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If its that bad give VoiceStream a try. I have used multible services in the past including Cell One (Now Cingular), Sprint, and AT&T. VoiceStream is by far the best. I never have to worry about dropped calls (unless I'm out of the service area) and people leaving voicemail always come thru.

There service is great, I've called for different reasons many times and I've never had to hold more then 5 or 10 minutes (and that was only once during peak hours). I like it so much I just bought my friend a celly using VoiceStream for his birthday.

Hey, I'm a free Ad!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: