Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Midnight Movies

Author Topic: Midnight Movies
Matt Elzie
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2001 07:14 AM      Profile for Matt Elzie   Email Matt Elzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking to start doing midnight movies at the theater I work at, and, subsequently, am also looking for a distributor with a good library of titles. Can anyone recommend one (or more)?
Movie suggestions and tips for running midnight showings are also more than welcome.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2001 09:27 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run midnight shows at our theatre but they are the prints that we run for the rest of the day. One of our theatres in Kent, Ohio (home of the infamous Kent State University), does run some old titles when they can snare them. Such films as "Clockwork Orange", "Rockey Horror", "Planet of the Apes", mostly old cult stuff. Our booker is Don Woodward of Woodward Booking in McKeesport, Pennsylvania.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-31-2001 11:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have customers that run midnight movies and for a service tech they are a pain as you can't start till 2 or 3 in the morning on service work.
Mark @ GTS

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-31-2001 12:06 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt: Check out the thread 'Cult Movies' in Film Handlers' Forum for some more info re: midnight shows.

Prints are available from Kit Parker, Swank, Criterion, and in some cases regular distributors, but beware that the print quality can be VERY spotty, especially the more popular titles. Some of the titles have had new (within the last three years) prints made as part of their 'anniversary' revival ( Warner and Columbia come to mind) but you can also try obtaining a collectors' print of a rare title (after making all booking arrangements for same title with the distributor and agreeing to the collector's handling terms)...

I have noticed that in many places the 'midnight movie' just doesn't do it business-wise anymore, plus you have to deal with all the unpleasantries that go along with such screenings in this day and age...

Good Luck!
-Aaron

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2001 12:17 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron Sisemore said:
"I have noticed that in many places the 'midnight movie' just doesn't do it business-wise anymore . . ."

In some places I'd say your probably right, but that is not a proven trend. In our company we run midnights in at least three seperate locations and business has been strong in all places. I know in the suburban Pittsburgh market, midnights do very well, sometimes even selling out 200-300 seat auditoriums (not often, but they do). At our Kent, Ohio theatre we do extremely well at that time of night. If your in a college town, you would be stupid not to be running midnights.

Just my two cents. Now drink!

Matt Elzie
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2001 06:08 AM      Profile for Matt Elzie   Email Matt Elzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the input, guys. It's been helpful. By the way, Aaron, I called Kit Parker Films, thinking that they would be ideal since they are located in Sand City, which is within easy driving distance of Santa Cruz. My thinking was that I could save on shipping by simply picking up prints myself. Turns out, Kit Parker is retiring, and the company is on sort of a hiatus at the moment. Ah well, Murphey's Law, I guess.
I did manage to scrape together a couple of films already though, and we are running our first midnight tonight (Gremlins; definately not my first choice, but who knows?). I'll post again soon, and let you guys know how it turned out.
Again, thanks for the help. -Matt

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-03-2001 01:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad as it may seem, Kit Parker Films closing is actually very good news! Never have I received even one print that was in acceptable condition from them, and I've been sent a lot of them for repertory and college circuit.

Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2001 10:44 PM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, in our area, midnight films are extremely lucrative. Our two shows for the weekend have beaten some of our lesser films for the entire weekend (not that we do poor business either). Just depends on the demographics.

Matt Elzie
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2001 06:59 AM      Profile for Matt Elzie   Email Matt Elzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suprisingly, Gremlins did decent business, considering we had only a week to advertise it. My thinking is that now with some better advertising and exposure, we'll pick up more of a crowd for the rest of the month. Next week we're showing Blazing Saddles, and after that it's Batman, Enter the Dragon, and The Shining. People are already asking if they can buy tickets for the last three (The Shining in particular), so I think we will do alright.
Anybody have any tips on maximizing the sound presentation for some of these older prints? Gremlins was Dolby Type-A, and that worked fine once we cranked it up enough, but for some of the really old ones we are looking to show, I have no idea what to expect. Suggestions?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-04-2001 07:48 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt -- let me know if you want to borrow a trailer for "The Shining." This film did great business for us when we ran it as part of the WB 75th fest a few years ago.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-04-2001 02:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Anybody have any tips on maximizing the sound presentation for some of these older prints?<<

Check the leaders on the prints, if they are the originals. NEVER trust the labels on the cans. Some of the 'anniversary' reissue prints have remastered soundtracks in Dolby A or SR, but are still basically center channel only. Others, especially the older (pre-1987) titles are either mono or Dolby A, and should be played accordingly.

Aaron

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-04-2001 08:17 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the shinning and enter the dragon are both mono.
Batman is dolby A not sure about sr but if it was it was a duel inventory of prints at the time.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-04-2001 11:14 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Midnights? Ugh! Too many drunks puking, the druggies O.D.ing, vandalism, slashed seats, it ain't worth it.

Matt Elzie
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2001 05:32 AM      Profile for Matt Elzie   Email Matt Elzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We actually inform customers that if they act innaprapriately, we will: "throw your asses out the god damn door." We have several people in the theater watching the show, and acting as security, which the audience is also informed of. We make good on our promises, and, so far, we haven't had any trouble. Granted, we've only done two shows as of yet, but hopefully the tactic will work in the future as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: