Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How Do You Live Your Dash

Author Topic: How Do You Live Your Dash
Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 05-30-2001 01:55 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning...to the end.

He noted that first came her date of birth
And spoke the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years. (1934 -2001)

For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth...
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own;
The cars...the house...the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard...
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left,
That can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
To consider what's true and real,
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
And more often wear a smile.
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy's being read
With your life's actions to rehash...
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash?

Author Unknown

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2001 03:37 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sufis are mystics that make a study of human nature. This removes certain boundaries. Perhaps a story is in order. The original to this story is a shorter version by Shah, in "Commanding Self" which teaches slightly different concepts. This version uses only the shell of that story to teach things that fit a different group.

A young sufi once counseled a poor divorced woman with four young children against making a bad moral decision. Upon seeing how she had been helped, she gave the sufi two silver dollars as a reward, which was a large sum for her. The sufi turned over the coins thoughtfully, then placed them in his pocket, saying that when he had fully completed his task, he would use both coins.

Years passed and the sufi became a revered teacher of the esoteric arts. He chose his students well, and yet there was one of his students who would never fully grasp the foolishness of his own vanity in trying to outdo others at whatever task was at hand, nor would he countenance the notion that all things had their place in time.

After having taught this student what he could, the sufi eventually turned him away from the group, suggesting a career in business. The student was distraught at his loss of stature within the group and begged the sufi to reconsider, and allow him to discover what he could do to further his education.

The older sufi, knowing that only life experience could wear down the student's blocks, replied that there was only one lesson that the student needed to learn before he could continue his studies, but that he could not be taught it for many years, and when he did, it would cost him $498, which was far beyond the student's means. He then gave the student one of the two silver dollars that had been paid to him by the woman, to keep with him always as a reminder of the lesson to be learned.

The ex-student made his way in the world and prospered, eventually becoming a wealthy merchant; but during the years that passed he was always reminded by the weight of the coin of the important lesson that the now aging sufi would eventually teach him.

So, it came as a shock to the ex-student when he suddenly received word that the great sufi had died, and he had been specifically honored by that man to attend his graveside ceremony along with a curiously chosen group of only six others; two students, the ex-student's trade competitor, a popular wealthy preacher, the corrupt mayor of the town, the scoundrel of an undertaker, and a lawyer. Instructions were given in a written note that he must remain silent except after the first of the two students had spoken, and that each of the other attendees had been given similar strict instructions on when to speak and when to remain silent.

Noting that his business competitor, the mayor and a preacher would be at the gathering, the ex-student determined to wear his finest suit and all the accouterments that showed his wealth and stature in the community, including a wallet full of large denomination bills. He thought "After all, there is great value in appearances, and showing myself in a good light in front of these great men can only have positive effects!"

At the appointed time, the student drove his fine new car to the cemetery and walked to the grave, where the two plainly dressed students and the glum looking undertaker in his mourning garb were waiting. Soon his competitor arrived in an even nicer car, and then the rich preacher in a yet more luxurious car. Finally the chauffeur driven mayor's car arrived with the mayor, along with the lawyer, who had convinced the mayor to transport him to the service, rather than hiring a cab. The student thought, at the arrival of each automobile, "Some day I will arrive like that! Then I will know I have achieved all there is to achieve."

Once all were at the graveside, the first student announced; "The master has asked that each person say a few words and place a token of esteem in the coffin, then allow the next person to do the same. I found the master to be a good teacher." The student then placed a silver dollar in the coffin.

The ex-student was puzzled, but then rallied to the occasion and said "The master was more than a good teacher. I have profited from his advice greatly, and I only wish he could have taught me the final lesson that he promised many years ago." Thinking to impress his competitor, he then continued "I have no need of the $500 that I had set aside for that lesson." With that, he pulled out his bulging wallet, opened it to a stack of money, peeled off five one-hundred dollar bills and laid them in the coffin. He then stepped back and smiled at his competitor.

Red faced, the competitor stepped forward in turn and said "The master came into my shop regularly. Because of his presence many others followed, making me four times as wealthy as my competitor." With that, he opened his purse and laid four $500 bills in the coffin.

The preacher was dumbfounded by the actions of the two merchants, yet, knowing that he had to speak for his congregation of well-to-do landowners, he began "The teacher you call the master was a positive influence within the community and he has taught many people right from wrong and the value of obeying higher powers. I have control over the poor fund, and yet I feel that this man was more deserving than our poor." He then opened the poor fund box and placed another $5000 in the coffin.

The mayor was aghast and incensed that the preacher would do something so obviously foolish as bury money meant for the poor along with a corpse. Acting on the spur of the moment, and with great pomp, he walked away from the gathering, back to his automobile, and then returned with his checkbook. "I too think this was a good man, but not as caring for the people of the community as I am, especially if he demanded money be buried with him. Everyone for miles around knows that my word is always my bond. I also think that these cash contributions from the poor box might be better used by the poor in the community, so I will redeem them, and I will take the other money from the merchants who have been obviously understating their income so they won't have to pay as much in taxes." With that, he removed all the money but the silver dollar from the coffin, and replaced that money with a check for $100,000.

The undertaker stepped forward and cackled with glee when he showed a statement from the now dead sufi, stating that the undertaker might take whatever paper was in the coffin as payment for his services. The undertaker, who held no love for the mayor, then removed the check from the casket and placed it into his jacket pocket, saying "I will erect a beautiful fountain to mark the grave of this noble man. People will come for miles around to refresh themselves with his spirituality and the fine water of his fount." Looking at the doubtful faces around him, he continued, "My word is also my bond."

The lawyer then spoke. "I too have received a directive from this sufi. My directive was to look up some old records awarding a certain divorced woman with four children child support payments from the undertaker, which he has never paid. The court has charged me with collecting that money if it became available. That is my honor to this man." With that he took the check from the undertaker for the back child support payments.

The last man of the group, the second student, then stepped up to the stunned and transfixed ex-student, who was standing in amazement at the chain of events. The student presented the ex-student a five dollar note that the sufi had entrusted to him, and asked for change for the five dollars. The ex-student only had the large bills... and two dollars that he habitually kept to purchase his morning cup of coffee. Searching further in his pocket, he found the silver dollar, which the student took along with the coffee money in exchange for the five dollar bill.

The student then moved the coin already within the coffin onto one eye of the sufi, and placed the second coin on the other eye, saying "The lesson is over. Services have been rendered for the payment given."

Bob Maar

- posted 05-31-2001 11:12 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry,

That is a wonderful story. I think that we kind of feed off of each other, they way I did with my college roommates when we were solving the world's problems back in the late 50's. I really enjoyed the all night sessions and the more we drank the easier it became to settle the world's disputes.

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2001 12:35 AM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not too many people know this, but I died last week, and the coffin had been put in the hearse, and off we went to the little cemetery at Red Lodge, Montana... which is reputed to be haunted, so never stop there, keep going.

Of course it would have to happen to me. The hearse ran out of gas on the interstate, and there was nothing to do but Call the Whole Thing Off. The tow truck came, put the coffin on a little trailer, and there I was, sitting up in the coffin with the lid open, waving at everyone all the way back to Billings, and saying, "The Only Way To Fly!"

And so here I am back on film-tech writing all this awful stuff.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2001 12:39 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe. Please use plenty of deoderant.

Bob Maar

- posted 06-05-2001 07:27 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I can see your reflection in the clouds.
Jerry was right, I can smell you here in New York. Even a Ghost needs some kind of order remover.

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2001 01:32 AM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, ha. Ho, ho! HEE HEE !!!

Those are the JOKES, Son.........

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: