Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Things That Annoy You IN A Booth (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Things That Annoy You IN A Booth
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-07-2001 11:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had what we like in a booth, The Ultimate Booth,favorite projector, etc. But I don't remember anyone ever posting what we dislike in a booth.
However if it was posted at some point in the past then please ignore this and go to Bob Marrs Joke Yack section.......
Mark @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-08-2001 12:54 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things that annoy me in the booth:

Non-projectionists wandering in.

Changing trailers and ads.

Slide projectors.

Moving prints between same-size auditoriums for no reason whatsoever other than management stupidity.

Not getting a much needed part.

People who do things the wrong way just because that's the way it was done in the "union days".

Management who keep on asking when I am going to start the Thursday night screening of any given movie.

Management who make me move prints around just so they can watch their Thursday night screening earlier in the big auditorium only to have me move it back to where it belongs after the show is done.

Management who don't care as much about the theater as I do.

People named "John Doyle".

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-08-2001 02:47 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Joe:
Slide projectors.

Moving prints between same-size auditoriums for no reason whatsoever other than management stupidity.

Joe, all I can say is AMEN!!!!!

From me:

A poorly lit dirty booth that looks and smells like a port-a-potty.

Pure junk house equipped with landfill qualified equipment where nothing works properly!

Super Glue re-enforced with bubble gum to hold the equipment together.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2001 10:55 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, this is good - lets see:

10. Water stained ceiling tiles traded from the lobby for my good ones.

9. Promised wall paint that . . . never showed up.

8. Accumulated junk equipment the ownership believes is worth way more than it is, thus refusing to sell.

7. Parts?

6. Mud on the bottom of unwelcomed guests shoes.

5. Employee and (his) girlfriend making out behind the soundrack of #6.

4. Parts?

3. Manager and employee running through the booth throwing things at each other and slaming the firedoors between the rooms. (Believe it!)

2. Idiots who think they know how to do your job even when they ask you to "Pause the tape".

1. Six teenage girls lured upstairs by the ushers with the promise of movie posters.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2001 10:57 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being informed about a problem when I'm already trying to FIX it!
Being informed about things that aren't really problems (like "Why does that preview have black on the sides? Do you have the masking set right?")

Jody Southards
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2001 11:29 AM      Profile for Jody Southards   Email Jody Southards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrons yelling at you through the port hole asking you to rewind the film.

Boogey men (or maniac clowns) that like to hang out in the Booth after midnight.

Technicolor wanting a print from a sneak broken down and ready to go fifteen minutes after it drops for "security reasons", but two days later returns the same print for another sneak three days early and stating that they will have it picked up the day after the showing.

Small greasy palm prints and gummy bears stuck to the portholes.

Two floors, two projection booths, five shows a day, one projectionist.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-08-2001 01:32 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-Other projectionists that pursue the hobby of their choice (Model building, comic book creation, very large poster art, etc- I have seen all of these in a booth) while everything else in the booth is falling apart and not being corrected...

-Managers that believe that to save a few nickels in electricity, ALL the booth lighting should be left off, leaving the booth dangerously dark.

-Fire marshalls that decide that your sprinkler system in the booth isn't adequate and have the booth looking like a jungle gym by the time they are appeased.

-Know-it-all 'projectionists' that monkey with amp rack controls because some paton complains the subwoofer is too loud, or because their 'golden ears' say that this-or-that needed tweeking

-Union projectionist with over 40 years of projection experience who admits that he doesn't know how to remove the gate from a Simplex XL

-Senior projectionist with over 15 years experience in booths who builds up a print half-backwards and upside-down and forgets to add the last two reels that are still sitting in the can (print arrived on 6000' reels and was 8 reels long)

-Projection booth used as main thoroughfare for all the floor staff

-Booth that doubles as a stockroom

-Booths designed with sealed portglass that the only way to pass cables thru it is to remove the glass....with a hammer.

-Booths designed where two projectors are literally back-to-back, making getting inbetween the two consoles a reeeally tight squeeze.

I can go on...

Aaron

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-08-2001 01:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who, if I'm fixing a problem, barge in and say "WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?" and offer to help.

People who come into the booth when I'm making up a last-minute-delivered print and start to ask questions about how the equipment works.

Just people in general, come to think of it. It's my booth...get outta here!

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2001 05:48 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-Customers who try to communicate with the projectionist through the port glass.

-Managers who can't decide whether or not they want to interlock a movie and change their minds every 30 seconds until show time.

-"Projectionists" who are allergic to leader and rarely put enough on films they make up.

-"Projectionists" who throw leader all over the floor when they thread.

-Shoepolish

-Slides

-Slide projectors mounted on the viewing port, instead of having a separate port.

-Technicolor ads

-Technicolor reels

-"Projectionists" who have working curtains at their theatre but can't be bothered to use them.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-08-2001 05:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
DLP Need I say more?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-08-2001 05:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many annoyances listed here by others that I neglected to put in my post! So therefore I must update:

-Shoepolish (What the hell... really! Are you really that blind? Can't you feel the splice as you break down?)

-Projectionists who thread with the leader hitting the floor (again, what the hell? I used to do this, but I changed my ways. I never could quite get the hang of "threading up" which would be the quickest and easiest method possible. But I still don't let the leader hit the floor.)

-People continuously calling up informing me of a problem I am already working on. They keep asking when it will be fixed even though I tell them "a few minutes". I also tell them that the more they call up, the longer it takes to fix since I have to answer the damn walkie!

-Changeovers

-Managers who know absolutely nothing about projection, but think the job MUST be easy.

-Projectionists set in their ways.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-08-2001 08:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see what anoys me when I come in on a service call
1 dirty floors( doesn't anyone know anymore what a brooom is for)
2Unlibricated equipment
3Over lubricated equipment
can't anyone find the right medium
4 Sound racks that the equipment vents are plugged with dust
5 Port glass covered with dirt and a service call booked for (the picture is out of focus all the time da)
and it goes on and on (yes it has been a bad day)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-08-2001 10:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, Common Gord....I waited all day here in Nampa for a load of QSC's...yea really, not BGW's this time. They didn't show up but QSC they told me that they definately would tommrrow. I don't think the port glass in this place has been cleaned since opening! Ya could scrape the gunk off with a putty knife. The floor is at least clean though. This was the ultimate oil all over the bottom plate of the console place till I replaced all the seals. Oil mixed with film dust, mixed with dust balls, etc is pretty disgusting. I ripped all the stupid never work right linear feed switches off all the payouts and put in micros. Man if a Strong/Potts platter could hold timming for more than 24 hours these might actually work. But when platters are 10 plus years old it ain't going to happen...so on went the micros which are more forgiving of timming. At least now if they have any wraps its their fault for not threading correctly!
And you think you had a bad day.......
Mark @ GTS

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-08-2001 10:41 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm --- things that annoy me.

1. People who don't clean their projectors or platters. Whether they're MY projectors, or their own... just drives me batty.

2. People who do things 'the way I've always done it.' - Of course I do things the way I've always done it -- so I'm bound to have a double-standard on this one.

3. Having to turn the fader down 3 notches because the tech is half-deaf and can't hear when he EQ's the house. (Thank goodness for Equalization software.)

4. Union Projectionists who only know how to cue a Xetron Maxi-8 even after you've shown him twice, made a diagram, a sample piece of cued film of how to cue for a Component Engineering FM-35 failsafe.

5. Anybody who can manage to brain-wrap an AW3

6. Managers or Projectionists who are too afraid of the equipment to figure out how to reattach the center roller of an AW3 cluster if it falls off.

7. Managers who refuse to even TOUCH a projector, yet still feel as though they can manage the entire theatre well.

8. Projectionists who refuse to even TOUCH a cash drawer, handle a customer complaint, or make a deposit, yet still feel as though they can manage the theatre themselves.

9. Mis-matched equipment.

10. And I'm probably alone on this one -- but I hate it when people 'customize' equipment and change it from the way it was designed. A: Super Platter build-up tables CAN build to the top and bottom platter IF you leave the arm on them; why limit yourself to the middle platter all the time? B: A Super Platter was meant to have Super Platter rings - NOT Christie rings and vice-versa - DO NOT DRILL CUSTOM HOLES it's annoying.

I think I'm done -- if I think of anything else that Aaron does to annoy me... I'll be sure to post it... (just kidding of course)

------------------
Scott D. Neff
"Biding My Time"

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-08-2001 11:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get cheezed off when I spend a whole week at a theatre ensuring that everything is working as well as I know how to make it, only to come back and find everything all messed up again.

I will show people people that cleaning a (Christie) projector every show only takes 90 seconds and tell them to do it every show. As soon as I turn my back they are threading without cleaning. The next week I get calls from them telling me that the projector is noisy and "doesn't work right".

I spend all this time to use RP-40 and make the turrets "just right" so the picture doesn't go off the screen. I turn around and find kids slamming the turrets open or changing lenses by grabbing the lens barrel instead of the turret frame. Then they call me and tell me that the picture is going off the masking.

I get a call because the projector is "making loud noises". When I ask them if there is oil in it they can't tell me when the last time they checked it was.

I spend all morning doing PMs and set all the framing knobs to the exactly correct posisions using RP-40. I go to lunch and come back to find EVERY STINKIN' framing knob cranked every which way. To add insult to injury, the kid in the booth DENIES that it was him who turned them. I point out to him that I had just set them and he's the only one in the booth. He denies that anybody showed him how to thread in frame. (That's a bunch of because it's POLICY that I KNOW they have been taught.)

Walking into the booth unnanounced (as is my habit) and finding some obvious problem like an impending brain wrap only to find the Usher-B sitting at the work bench at the other end of the booth drinking a Coke and making doodles in the Log Book.

Asking a simple question such as, "What's the VERY FIRST thing you should do when you start a projector and you don't hear any sound?", and having the kid answer back, "Turn all these knobs over here until something happens."
(Correct answer: Check to see of your exciter/LED came on.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: