Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 90 Minute CD-R's

Author Topic: 90 Minute CD-R's
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-07-2001 06:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that new 90 Minute CD-Rs exist, but they are not yet available in the USA. Has anyone else heard this? If so, would they be able to play on most normal CD players? Or would new CD players capable of playing these CDs need to be purchased?

Also, has anyone else noticed that 74 minute CDRs say they can hold only 650 megs, but 74 minutes of audio is actually about 750 megs? Same holds true with 80 minute CDRs...they claim to hold only 700 megs, but 80 minutes is slightly over 800 megs!

Must be a data vs audio thing.

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2001 09:23 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be that the overhead of putting a file system on the disc (formatting information) would reduce the amount of storable data.

Let's see: 74 minutes times 60 seconds per minute times 44100 samples per seconds times 4 bytes per sample (stereo) gives a total of 783216000 bytes, or 746.9 megabytes. Interesting. I wonder if parity or redundancy in storing the information may be part of the reason as well? I'm curious about this. Using the above logic, 80 minutes is 846720000 bytes, or 807.5 megabytes. I'm also curious if the 74 minute and 80 minute nominal CD capacities are exact.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2001 09:38 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't heard or researched the new 90 min discs, as for storage sizes, Evans is partly correct, in that in storing data on a CD-R, formatting takes up some of the available space. In addition, computer data must be very exact and very immune to surface defects on the CD media, thus, additional storage space is used as sort of an added redundancy to counter possible read errors due to defects. I believe this error correcting code is called reed-soloman.

Audio, does not need as much media based error correction as audio cd players have this error correcting ability built into the hardware.

Jonathan Haglund
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2001 11:57 PM      Profile for Jonathan Haglund   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Haglund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
90 minute cd's are not an official spec, just like 150mhz ram. You can technically use the CD to 90 minutes using "overburn," a featre only found in certain burning software, but there could beproblems because the CD-R standard says the max is 79:59 min, and thus readers based on this standard may be unstable.
Titles able to do overburning include, but are not limited to:

Nero 5.0.3.8
CDRWIN 3.8C
WinOnCD 3.8 Power Edition
DiscJuggler 3.00.758
Feurio 1.52

------------------
Jonathan Haglund
Edwards Theatre Circuit, Inc
Park Place 10

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-08-2001 01:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once made up an 80-minute CD, but then mistakenly burned it onto a 74-minute blank. I got about 78 minutes onto it.

I've been meaning to put together a 90-minute program and then see how much will ACTUALLY fit onto an 80-min. disk.

BTW I use Sonic Foundry CD Architect and a Yamaha CD burner, if anyone's wondering.

I'm sure that many players would choke on overburned disks.

Jonathan Haglund
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2001 07:48 PM      Profile for Jonathan Haglund   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Haglund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, the only way to copy Playstation games is to use overburn.

Also, the difference between 74 and 80 minute discs is that the "tracks" are placed closer together. In a 90 minute, the tracks are a little closer, but most of the extended space comes from overburning.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: