Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Was Rambo III ever shown in 70mm?

Author Topic: Was Rambo III ever shown in 70mm?
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-04-2001 11:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm normally pretty good at keeping my 70mm films list well updated. But I am trying to settle an area of disagreement with someone. This person swears "Rambo III" was released in 70mm (70mm Dolby SR no less) and he actually saw it in 70mm to boot.

I don't ever recall "Rambo III" ever having a 70mm release. I think the best print a theater was able to get for the film was 35mm Dolby SR. The stack ads from The New York Times and LA Times didn't show anything denoting a 70mm presentation. Dolby Lab's list of 70mm films shows "Rambo III" there, but that list has had its own share of inaccuracies (such as 70mm credits given to "Robocop and "Dances With Wolves," both of which had only 35mm SR print releases).

Well, I figure if anyone knows for sure about 70mm or not with "Rambo III," that person in the know probably visits this really cool website and these forums.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2001 07:11 AM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm? Well, I would hope not. It was bad enough in 35. Typical juvenile American fascination with guns, fast cars, noise, and so much blood they have to wash the screen after each showing!

I sometimes put on current product from one or another satellite channel out of a bizarre curiosity to see what all the fuss is about, but for the sound part Mozart is playing from a cd.

Now, I must hasten to the storm cellar and put on my fireproof suit.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2001 07:51 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The list of 70mm films in THE ULTMATE WIDESCREEN DVD MOVIE GUIDE (article by Michael Coate and William Kallay) does not list RAMBO III.

I've found this guide to be very accurate, even to including which trailers were shown in 70mm.

Mark Lensenmayer

------------------
"As a moral to young men who come down to the city, don't go round breaking people's tambourines."

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-06-2001 10:46 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have a tin of test film for rambo3 but I can't remember using it

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2001 08:17 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got Bill and Mike's 70mm list (of blow-ups) on my web site at http://hjem.get2net.dk/in70mm/magazine/lister/blow_up/forword.htm

"Dances with Wolves" was indeed shown in 70mm (at least here in Europe). I saw it on the 30 m/90 ft IMAX Kinepolis screen in Bruxelles, and the image quality was rubbish! The 5/70 blow-up image was enlarged too much. Image was fuzzy and lacking contrast as I recall it. Not an impressing presentation on an Imax screen.

Bobby, are you the same Bobby Hendeson who wrote about CDS? If so, I can confirm seeing/hearing "Universal Soldier" in CDS at Kinepolis in Bruxelles (Belgium).

------------------
All my best
Thomas
..in70mm - The 70mm Newsletter
www.in70mm.com www.dp70.com www.70mm.dk www.hauerslev.com http://hjem.get2net.dk/in70mm

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-14-2001 11:46 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I wrote a bit about Cinema Digital Sound for Perry Sun's Movie Sound Page website (which seems to be no longer updated except for the now playing in digital sound films list).

I had long wondered about "Universal Soldier" actually having any 35mm CDS prints. Sony Pictures did originally announce the film as supporting it, and I think some early advertising for the L.A. area indicated it would play in CDS. However, most Los Angelenos film buffs have told me only Dolby SR prints were actually played there. I guess it would be an interesting footnote to include with the CDS films list.

Speaking of dead formats, I was never able to find any of the advertising stuff for the French LC Digital sound format (just an anal retentive need for me to logos of just about every film format known to mankind in scaleable vector form). Anyone have any ideas where I might be able to come across that stuff?

I did hear about "Dances With Wolves" having a European 70mm print. If I add anything, it would be a special footnote addition like my lists of 70mm DTS blowups playing at the Spektrum. The main thing that would truly qualify a movie getting on the main 70mm films list is for it to feature 70mm prints in its original domestic theatrical release. For American films, the movie needs to book 70mm prints in American theaters during the original run. Otherwise, it just becomes a special footnote listing.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2001 06:43 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rambo III -- the only Hollywood movie ever to be set in Afghanistan!

That would have been cool in 70mm

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2001 01:09 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Living Daylights was partly set in Afghanistan if I recall correctly, but I dont know if it was filmed there or not.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2001 02:38 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

AFAIK Living Daylights was shot in Morocco. The airbase shot shows amongst others OV10'sand i think Fouga Magister CM170s and the "soviet " transport is a Moroccan Air Force C130.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2001 02:05 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops! My bad. Thanks for the correction. I havent seen it in a while, but I remember the desert scenes being like Afghanistan.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-16-2001 05:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to add Predator and Back To The Future to your 70mm lists.
MArk @ GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: