Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I'm Back!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I'm Back!!!
Heyward Garner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2001 11:23 PM      Profile for Heyward Garner   Email Heyward Garner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing much here, just wanted to say Hi to everyone on here whom I have spoken with: Randy, Jason, Brian to name a few... Sorry for my absence and lack of posting, but I am back and look forward to many an intelligent conversation with everyone... Caio!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-03-2001 12:34 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back.

I missed you.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2001 03:03 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe: We missed you when you were gone, too.

Heyward, We need to meet. You are just down I-40 from me!

Brian Potts
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2001 11:25 PM      Profile for Brian Potts   Email Brian Potts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think that if Heyward didn't have to babysit 12 Christie projectors he would have more time to spend here on the forums.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2001 11:52 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey.. Christie units aren't THAT bad.. once you've had a few years to figure out all the little tips and tricks to make 'em run smooth...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-03-2001 11:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Jason to an extent. The ones I had at my last theatre ran pretty well considering, but others (even newer ones) I have seen have run very poorly. If you don't give them lots and lots of TLC from day 1 (from minute 1) then you will regret it in the future and there is no easy road back.

Brian Potts
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2001 12:05 AM      Profile for Brian Potts   Email Brian Potts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is quite a bit of Heyward's problem. This theatre is only 4 years old. But, he took over the booth there from a young guy who really didn't care about the machines or how they were running. I've personally had to make more trips, to help Heyward with problems that could have been prevented with some TLC, than I can even count.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-04-2001 01:50 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wassup, Heyward?

I have to agree on the upkeep issue. You absolutely MUST take care of your Christies every day, from day one. Most notably, you must keep them clean. A clean Christie is a happy Christie. On the flipside, a dirty Christie is a VERY unhappy Christie.

IMHO: If you were only allowed to do one thing to keep a Christie running it would be to clean it... religiously... every show.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-04-2001 01:57 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clean it inside and out. Make sure all of the gears, pulleys and other stuff in there is spic and span 100% of the time. Stop the show to clean it if you must, the audience will understand!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-04-2001 02:33 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, all you have to do is tell them that you have Christies. Most people will just nod and say, "OK".

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2001 11:14 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This leads me to ask.. just how often to you guys clean out the 'backside' of your Christie units? And how would one go about getting belt residue off the inside? Compressed air doesn't seem to cut the mustard and it's surely not wise to use any sort of spray cleaner with the relays that are there.... Anyone, Bueller??

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-07-2001 12:12 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I do a PM (Which ends up being 2-3 times/yr.) I take off the backs, check/replace the belts and clean them out. Nothing but a rag, a toothbrush and some good ol' fashioned elbow grease I'm afraid.

Some of that Christie Belt Dressing will do your belts a world of good as well. (If you can get your boss to spring for some).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-07-2001 12:23 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't get the Christie belt dressing, you can always get "Panef Belt Dressing" from your local hardware store. According to Christie it is the exact same thing, as Panef makes the belt dressing for Christie.

2 or 3 times a year is good. Although I find I need much more than a typical toothbrush to clean out the grooves in the "gears". I usually use one of those metal-bristled thingies (forget what they are called). When I am done, there are no black flakes or residue anywhere. Make sure the belt tension is good as well. Not too tight but certainly not too loose.

Also, contrary to popular belief, you DO NOT need to remove the motor to change the belts. You just gotta employ some tricky manuevers to get the belts in and out of there and onto the proper "gears". Even though it is a bit tricky, it is far simpler that removing the motor, and about 1,000 times faster, especially after you have done it a few times.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-07-2001 01:47 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've looked at just about all the hardware stores and auto supply shops in my area and I have yet to locate Panef. What store do you guys buy it from?

I dunno' about those metal brushes, though. I just use a regular, old "Denture Brush". You know... those kind with the small tuft of bristles on the back of the handle. If you put a few dabs of belt dressing on it will loosen up some of the hardened-on crud from the crevaces, making it easier to get loose. Then I take a rag and wipe up the rest.

Changing belts on these babies is like learning how to tie your shoes. Somebody has to show you how it's done. They can tell you 9,000,000 times but you'll never understand until you see it being done in person.

(Or maybe some guy with a Steadicam could make us a video... )

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-07-2001 04:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send me a Steadicam (not the JR, but the real Steadicam) and I'll make that video!

No one ever showed me how to change belts. I just did it one day when I was bored and wanted to stop one of our projectors from making a horrible noise (or some other reason that I can't quite remember). It took awhile since I didn't know the best way to proceed. It was fun, and we lost only three days worth of shows due to my incompetance! (J/K)

You can get PANEF at any Ace Hardware location. Just look for John Madden. He'll be there. Or you can just follow his odor!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: