Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » goin' to NYC

Author Topic: goin' to NYC
Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 08:44 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As quickly as I am starting to approach burnout, I failed to realize that my vacation is right around the corner - on Sunday I will be on my way to New York City and wondered what theaters I should go out of my way to check out, and anything else of the Nature that would be worth checking out. Was thinking about the Lowes in Times Square but there must be some true gems out there. Any tips would be greatly greatly apprieciated.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 09:08 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sony/Lowes in Lincoln Center is better. UA has new one at Union Square 14. Two of their small rooms have SA loudspeakers. For Art cinemas look to the Angelika Film Center at Mercer and Houston. Then there's Film Forum.

Don't forget to go to Central Park on a sunny afternoon (I used to play at the model boat pond). There is a tour of the New Amsterdam Theatre where Lion King is being performed. There is the Whitney art museum, the Frik museum, Museum of Modern Art (they have a film series). There are others.

Take the subway. Wander around and get lost. Eat street food. Have a Grey's Papaya hot dog. I'll take mine with cooked onion and mustard.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-19-2001 09:15 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean:
Radio City Music Hall 50th Street and Avenue Of the Americas,

Sony Lincoln Square 68th St and Broadway
15 Plex with an IMAX. Check out Loews House No. 1
Loews E-Walk 247 West 42nd Street
13 Screens Check out auditoriums 12 and 13.

AMC 25 Opposite E- Walk 244 West 42nd St.
Check out Digital Booth

Loews Kips Bay 2nd Avenue at 32nd Street Check out theatre 10

Ziegfield 54thst and Avenue of the Americas.
Single Screen 1400 Seats.

Loews Astor Plaza 44th and Broadway Single Screen 1644 Seats

Museum Of Hologgraphy - Greenwich Village

Museum Of the Moving Image - Long Island City Queens.

Check out Times Square, Greenwich Village, SoHo, TriBeca(Robert Dinero's Tribeca film Center), Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island.

I will e mail you a number call me tomorrow.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 11:22 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe nobody mentioned seeing a live show on Broadway. Where is that place for last minute discount tickets?

Live theatre is where we all started. You have to pay homage in NYC. I still remember being enchanted with "Carnival" starring Anna Maria Albergheti and being totally disgusted with Leslie Caron in the "Lili" ripoff on the screen.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-20-2001 07:52 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The discount ticket kiosk is located in the center of Times Square on 46th street between Broadway and Seventh Avenue. Just before the streets criss cross. The area Has a Statue of Father Duffy and George M. Cohan.

Tickets Go on Sale at half price. 10AM on days with matinees and 12 Noon for evening shows.

A Tip: House seats are held at the box office and released by the producer between 6PM and 6:30PM This is usually 20 seats in the orchestra.

Tip 2: I havn't done this since my college days. Called second acting. Go to the theatre a little after 9PM and hang out. People come out to smoke mingle and go in and see second act. You sometimes end up standing behind rail, sometimes you find a seat. I saw the second act of West Side Story about 18 times.

Ah memories..........

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2001 01:49 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been almost 2 decades since I was for a while a resident of NYC (I was there when the first attempt at placing an inflated King Kong on the Empire State Building failed, & it hung there like a gigantic used King Kong-sized condom stuck on the side of the building) but I very much enjoyed going to the old Loew's 175th Street which was by then Reverend Ike's church. I recommend it, as well as the other theaters like RCMH.

I bought a Reverend Ike Prayer Cloth, too. It's lost, but the memories remain.

Hey, take the train over (under?) & check the Loew's Jersey City, too. See if they've got that damn clock fixed yet.

PS to Jerry Chase:
What the heck is that picture? It looks like an infant manager unstopping the men's room toilet during a busy Saturday night!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2001 09:55 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is my butt. Don't blame me, I posted it as a joke under the "Brad's Picture" thread, and Brad grabbed it for distribution. I knew he'd do that to the first picture I uploaded, so it was no great surprise. Be thankful I didn't upload some of the others I have.

FWIW, I was after a particular pot that I was allowed to play with, but my mother thought the idea of my rummaging through the cabinet was funny and took my picture. She arranged the pots like that, I was neater.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: