Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Visually Interesting films?

Author Topic: Visually Interesting films?
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 08:43 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

What do you consider have been some of the most visually outstanding films you have seen? You may include in this films that have particularly memorable visual scenes.

The ones that come to mind are

1. The Maestro & Marguerita - (The scene where hundreds of naked people stream out of the church after having their clothes taken away by the devil)

2. City Of Lost Children - A visual feast

3. Delicatessan - surreal

4. Solaris - (a Russian film - a visually interesting and moody film)

5. Gross Fatigue - the scene where Phillipe Noiret lectures Michel Blanc on the problems with the French Film Industry with the Champs Elyses in the background

Your selections?

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 09:40 AM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Blade Runner" and Terry Gilliam's "Adventures of Baron Munchausen" are at the top of my list.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-19-2001 09:57 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good topic. My list includes but is not limited to: Man With a Movie Camera (silent), Starship Troopers, Lisbon Story, Lawrence of Arabia, Third Man, Citizen Kane, The Crowd (silent w/track), Blue Planet (obscure Italian film from the early '80s), 2001/Space Odyssey, Last Emperor, lots more that I can't think of right now...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2001 10:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Koyanisquatsi and Chronos are definately at the top of my list. Its hard to imagine anything that could approach the visual impact of these two.
Mark @ GTS

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 01:52 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most visually beautiful film I've ever seen was DAYS OF HEAVEN. Too bad the story doesn't do very much...but the magic hour cinematography is breathtaking.

Sure would love to see this one in 70mm...at the time, it was hard enough to find a Dolby Stereo theatre playing it, as they were very rare at the time.

Chronos and Anima Mundi are also very nice. the Pet Shop Boys sequence in CYBERWORLD is also spectacular.

Mark Lensenmayer

------------------
"As a moral to young men who come down to the city, don't go round breaking people's tambourines."

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-19-2001 02:12 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Koyanisquatsi and Chronos have been mentioned, let's add Baraka from the same director. Absolutely stunning in 5 perf 70mm!

Some of my cinematography favorites: Dreams, Ran, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, The Man from Snowy River, Barry Lyndon, Seven.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 08:59 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I neglected to mention 'Brazil' - another outstanding visual film.

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: