Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Web hosting issues

Author Topic: Web hosting issues
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-16-2001 01:04 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I was informed today that the ISP that hosts my website and provides my nationwide dialup has been forced to close up shop. Now I need to find a new home. Some of you have visited and participated on the site and some of you even found your way to Film-Tech from there.

Here's the gruesome site details:

• The site is currently 68 MB in size, and will continue to grow rapidly. (It was 18 MB just two years ago, and has recently hit a growth spurt.)
  • The site sees about 1,500 homepage visits a month. Bandwidth is unknown, but it may be assumed that each visit sees 5-8 MB.
  • The site has a .com domain.
  • There are less than 5 email addresses aliased to the domain, all of which are forwarded to other permanent addresses.
  • I require a dialup account with nationwide access numbers and at least one email account to receive site mail on.
  • I use an FTP client to upload files to the site.
  • Someday, when I have time to learn new software, I would like to convert the site to an SQL database.
  • I would also like to have cgi permissions and access to a perl compiler, but these are not currently required.
  • I have a computer that I could configure as a web/mail server, but I don't know how kindly a residential DSL or cable provider would take to that idea. (If my location even qualifies.)
  • Oh, and one more thing. I was only paying $35/month for everything behind door number one (unlimited nationwide dialup, unlimited web space, unlimited bandwidth). I don't want to spend a fortune on my hobby, and I don't want to bog down the site with advertising.

In a frantic search tonight, I came up with just two decent leads. You'd think I could do better in metro Detroit.

• zorona.net, a local ISP: 17.95/mo unlimited dialup; 29.99/mo hosting 100MB; unlimited transfer
  • earthlink.net, a national ISP: 19.95/mo unlimited dialup; 34.95/mo hosting 300MB; 20GB transfer

If you have dealt with Earthlink or have dealt with setting up a large site, I would appreciate hearing comments and recommendations from you. I need to move on this quickly, as I expect the current servers to go offline in the next couple of days.

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2001 01:28 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Earthlink for dial-up access. Typical mid-grade ISP, sometimes kicks me off, sometimes I have to log in a few times to get a connection around 44k, it has recently had problems with dumped mail from aol or the other way. The TOS is OK, (ATT Worldnet's TOS sucks -ALWAYS read any TOS before signing up with a service.) newsfeeds are getting better, customer support is adequate but not spectacular. Downtime seems to be minimal. Overall, I'm not thrilled but I'll probably stick with it. Earthlink is likely to be around for a while, and changing ISPs is a pain.

Check out www.Burlee.com for web hosting. The low price plan is only $14/month or so, and you'll be dealing with pros. I wouldn't think of switching from Burlee webhosting.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-16-2001 08:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the best advice I can give you. Any webhosting service that offers "unlimited bandwidth/transfer" is someone to stay far away from.

I would recommend you get an ISP account to gain access to the internet and then seek a good webhosting company completely separate.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: