Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Projectionists may soon be Gone 100%... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Projectionists may soon be Gone 100%...
Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 05:10 AM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and a lot more besides.

The following comment was in the Wall Street Journal yesterday:

"I think that the economy will crash definitively in the end of this year. It will take 10-12 years before we are back in today’s status. 10-15 big telecom-companies are going to crash within two years. The car industry will be reduced to 50% in Europe and USA and 40% in Japan and Korea within 5 years. Unemployment is going to rise in USA to about 20% after the big crash in the end of this year."

The final outcome of a bankrupt cinema chain, such as carmike and others could be a complete shutdown of operations at least temporarily, particularly if the court decides the business is beyond repair. Then after a while, the better parts of the "bones" might be sold off if other chains are interested in buying, which will likely be only if the price is cheap.

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-12-2001 10:34 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I belive very little of that "comment." Who made that quote, Chicken Little?

It's true that we may be in for tough times ahead, but I doubt it will be for even half of that 12 year length.

Mark DeLettera
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 10:35 AM      Profile for Mark DeLettera   Email Mark DeLettera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

That statement from the Wall Street Journel definately seems a bit heavy on the "doom and gloom"!

I try to keep an eye on the financial news shows as often as possible, and I never heard them put it that bad. The experts do seem to agree the the worst isn't here yet, but many analysts are optimistic for as early as 2002.

IMHO, I hope the optimists are correct. We don't need the 30's decade back again. I think that the economy has got to get better... I HOPE, for all of our futures!

------------------
Mark DeLettera
Eastman Kodak Co.
Worldwide Technical Svs.
Rochester, NY
mark.delettera@kodak.com
716-588-4189

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-12-2001 11:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats why its important to diversify yourself in other trades if at all possible. Keep in mind that there will be an even bigger need for electronic/optically oriented people to keep these things on the screen.
I know of way too many projectionests that know no other trade or skill and will become a burden on our economy(unemployment) if this happens. There is life and work outside the theater if you are smart enough to relaize that. Many will be able to continue in the new field.
The thing that makes me puke is when I meet a complaining operator that just got laid off from his theater. Its nice to be loyal to your union but keep in mind that MOST members will eventually get the short end of the stick. The only ones that make out are the big wigs.
I was offered the choice to be Union or Non-Union back in the early 80's. I chose non union and am not sorry in the least that I did. Had I gone with the union I'd most likley have been laid off when the first Cineplex/ GC layoff took place. Also the local union where I lived provided no training whatsoever, and had a horrible reputation. I wanted no part of that.
I also feel that I have been able to accomplish more in life without being in a union. Perhaps my case is different but I bet that there are many similar situations.
Mark @ GTS

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 02:50 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love economic downturns.

Houses cost less, especially after they go into foreclosure. People seem to appreciate their underpaid job in the cinema more. We get a higher class of employee. The conversations become more interesting. The Artists move into abandoned downtown properties. The coffee house turns out to be the place to hang out. People start comparing bargains instead of comparing excess spending. Everybody rediscovers cheap entertainment, like going to the movies. The streets have more interesting life because; people park their cars and take the bicycle. Saving energy becomes a competitive sport. They start trading their BMW750ILs for Hondas. Consequently you can pick up a BMW750IL for 1/3 the going price. People invite you over for wonderful, home cooked meals instead of meeting you at an overprice restaurant. Cheap restaurants come back into vogue.

I love economic downturns.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-12-2001 03:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some guy said: "Everybody rediscovers cheap entertainment, like going to the movies."

Movies are not cheap entertainment. Unless they plan on lowering the prices. Renting from BlockSucker Video is cheap entertainment.

I don't know if the economy will crash, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. There will always be reports about similar things. Just to get you to buy newspapers (so the publishers can save enough $$$ before the economy crashes)

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 03:33 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING - WARNING: Civilization is going to collapse when the clock clicks over to year 2000! Computers everwhere will fail, the power will go out, armed survivalists will come and take everything you have!

If I remember correctly, movie theatres have historically done well during recessions. Yes, they may have to lower their prices a little, but after all the major chains come out of bankruptcy, they will have no debt and will be able to afford to.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 11:03 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great post, Ian.

Jerry D. Cox
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 11:30 PM      Profile for Jerry D. Cox   Email Jerry D. Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Gulbrandsen,It's men like you that help's the Theatre's put men out of work,They were running film's way befor you were born.I bet that the reson you did not get in the UNION was,That a theatre give you a job an put a Union man out of work,I have seen men Like you befor.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-13-2001 12:10 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not going to coment too much about this run on sentance that I just read. Mark definetly deserves an appology for the coment. One thing we have is the right to choose. If Mark chose to take a non union job then that is his right. As we can see he is a succesful business man in the field that he loves doing.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-13-2001 12:49 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry - chill out, please.

Attacking people is not cool on these forums. You owe Mark an apology.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-13-2001 02:46 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>I bet that the reson you did not get in the UNION was,That a theatre give you a job an put a Union man out of work,I have seen men Like you befor.<<

You know Mark then, do you Jerry? I suggest you don't mouth off about someone you obviously know nothing about.

Everyone is entitled to choose.

------------------
"It's not the years, honey...it's the mileage". Indiana Jones

Jonathan Haglund
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2001 03:04 AM      Profile for Jonathan Haglund   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Haglund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like one of those flame things I read about in history class.

Jerry sounds like one of the many union guys that got absolutely burned by my theatre chain almost a year ago. We used to have around one union guy/gal? at every theatre. Then last year, suddenly we had to cut expenses fast cus corporate was spreading the B word. The powers wrote up a new contract and all but a handful of the union people got a letter saying they were no longer needed. It was signed insultingly, "I am <name omitted>"
But really, the union is not the holy mother, and while I love it when our techs come out to help me fix the noisy light making machines, they are expensive. Few theatre companies are going to look at a high paid professional and a minimum wage epsilon semi-moron and chose the pro for daily operations. Sign of the times, and I agree with Ian's outlook; economic shakedown is good.

------------------
Jonathan Haglund
Edwards Theatre Circuit, Inc
Park Place 10

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-13-2001 03:17 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry,

I do not mean any disrespect for you, but I will say this exactly one time. Read the FAQ, inparticularly that last paragraph. No ifs ands or butts.

Mark is a well respected tech in the industry and does not deserve to be spoken to in that manner. If you want to make posts regarding unions pro or con, please feel more than free to start up a new topic. Just leave specific people's names, specific theater companie's names and specific local numbers out of it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-13-2001 10:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, I really don't take any offense by what Jerry said. All of you know that he is dead wrong and he definately does not know me in the least. While I admire a person that spends many years running film in a booth or booths one must still keep close watch on whats going on in the industry. There have been many signals as to what's already happened and what's still comming.
Even I don't know if I will be servicing 35 and 70mm equipment in 5 or ten years. But at least I have something to fall back on if film goes by the wayside. I am only trying to make a point that everyone in the film based industry try to do the same. Personally I don't want to become a burden on the unemployment system in this country.

Jerry,
I was offered a choice by the local union in the large midwestern city that I lived in to run film or stay with what I was presently doing, which was technical work for a non-union chain. Just the fact that I was offered to be in that particuluar local was in itself something that very few are ever offered and I felt honored by this invitation. However after thinking it over for a while it simply did not make sense for me to go that route. I had too much technical background in electronics and mechanics to be a projectionest and I thought I could build on the knowledge that I had and do something that I enjoy even more. The union could make no guarantees as to putting me to work as a technician and they had other operators on layoff at the time. I thought it unfair to them for me to be hired over one of their own people!
Making this decision was indeed the right thing to do and allowed me to aclomplish far more which is what I wanted to do. I ended up running my own company in that area for 18 years and I collected a very good and loyal customer base in the three state area there that lasted and is still continuing to this day with many of them even though I have moved out west.
My customer base even extended as far as to providing other unions members with equipment and service for on site projection of dailies. Equipment I have built specifically for this purpose is located in 5 states and has been on well over 200 feature films and numerous commercials. None of this has come easy though and I have paid my dues in many ways.
All in all Jerry, a non union theater did not give me a job as an operator. I did not want to be an operator. They in fact only had operators at three sites of their dozen or so locations and they were eventually negotiated out by the owners of the chain and the union itself. The managers did the operating. Simply put, a non union chain hired me to service its non-union theatres. Indeed I payed my dues to be here, but in other ways that I will not elaborate on right now. Its as simple as that. I just did good work and things grew from there to where they are now. Indeed, I have been through allot but I also love being a part of it. However, If it all comes to an abrupt end some day I will carry on in other capacities.

Kindest Regards,
Mark Gulbrandsen
Motion Picture Sales Manager
Lighting Systems Engineer
General Theatrical Supply
2153 South 700 East
Salt Lake City, UT

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: