Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Converting MP3's to WAV files

Author Topic: Converting MP3's to WAV files
Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 02:48 AM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

I recently have gotten into CD burning and was wondering if there was a way to or perhaps some software that would convert MP3's to WAV files. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks

Rick

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 02:55 AM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try "Right-Click mp3" for Windows only, I presume. It's a VERY simple program but I've had good results using it (free-ware too). Good for .wav-->mp3 and vice-versa. Do a serch on the net and it'll come up.

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-12-2001 02:56 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most CD burning software does that automatically for you. Just drag and drop the MP3 files into the space alloted after you tell the program you want to make an Audio CD. It will convert the files as it burns the disc. What program do you have?

You can also make MP3 CDs, which do not convert the MP3 files. You will need a special CD player that plays MP3 CDs to listen to it, though. Several car stereos are available, and for the house you can get an Apex DVD/CD/VCD/SVCD/MP3CD player (yes it plays everything) for $129. I can't remember the exact model number. My friend has this unit and it is excellent considering the price. It has S-Video but no component outputs. If it said "Sony" instead of "Apex" but otherwise was exactly the same, it would be at least $400.

Anyway I digress. Go to www.windowstracker.com and type in "MP3 to WAV" or something in the search field. You'll be able to download right there.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-12-2001 03:27 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Download the Music Match program. It has great converter program. You can convert from WAV to MP3 and Vice Versa. I use it all the time.
www.musicmatch.com

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-12-2001 03:31 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my CD-RW came with a music match jukebox software package. THis package will convert the mp3 files to full digital wav files to burn your cd to be able to play on conventional systems. Works very well.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-12-2001 03:08 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The converter program in Music Match is accessed by clicking on FILE of the Music Match tool bar. Then click on CONVERT.

It is then ready to do what you tell it to do. In the Sorce Data Type area, you can select WAV (default). The other selections are MP3 or WMA.

The Destination Data Type has 4 options. WAV,
MP3, MP3 CBR, and MP3 VBR.

I don't know what the CBR and VBR is, though.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-12-2001 07:10 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>I don't know what the CBR and VBR is, though.<<

CBR: Constant Bit Rate- basically encoding the MP3 at a fixed bitrate (i.e. 128kbps)

VBR: variable Bit Rate- The encoding engine will alter the bitrate as it is encoding, I would assume to 'optimize' the encoding process, I would figure with improved results over fixed bitrate encoding... You can tell a VBR MP3 file by watching the bitrate display on a player such as Winamp, a VBR file will have the number changing occasionally as the file plays, whereas a CBR file the number remains the same throughout.

Aaron

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-13-2001 12:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MP3's with bitrates lower than 192kbps should be illegal. Sound just doesn't get any worse.

Well I guess it depends on the encoder, but no matter what I still can't stand the wishy washy effects of low bitrate MP3s.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-13-2001 02:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The easiest way to convert MP3s to WAVs is via the Winamp player. Download it from www.winamp.com if you don't already have it.

TO CONVERT MP3 TO WAV FILES:
Click the little diagonal bow-tie in the upper left hand corner. Select OPTIONS and then PREFERENCES. Then highlight the 3rd selection down "Nullsoft disk writer plug in [out_disk.dll]" and click CONFIGURE. Once you do this you will be allowed to browse to a folder where you want the newly created WAV file to be dumped. Select it, click OK and then click CLOSE. Now just play anything in MP3 using the Winamp player that you want converted to WAV and your conversion is done. To convert the Winamp player back to an MP3 "player" and not a "WAV converter", just do the same thing, but select the original output format.

I prefer the Winamp player, as many other programs I have used cause clicks and other random noise in the conversion.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-13-2001 03:57 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, IMHO, the newest version of MusicMatch (Ver 6.00.4044) beats the pants off Winamp. I removed the Winamp for that reason. MusicMatch has come a long way. The first versions ate bull droppings.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-13-2001 05:21 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad-

Do you actually have to listen to the MP3's in real time as they convert to WAV files? That would suck an incredible amount of ass! Are there ANY CURRENT CD Burning applications for Windows that DON'T automatically convert MP3's to WAV's for you when you create an audio CD?

Mac users:
You absolutely MUST have SoundApp. It kicks much ass. Not only does it play just about every sound file ever, it will covert any sound format to just about any other sound format. And it does this FAST with absolutely no audio defects whatsoever. And it takes less than 5 seconds to set it up to convert to the sound format of your choice. It does NOT encode MP3's, however. But it is free. iTunes is great, but SoundApp is small, simple, and it doesn't need a super fancy interface with skins and a bouncy graphics light show while you listen to make the program good.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-13-2001 04:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, you may very well be right, as the version of MusicMatch I tried a couple of years ago was quite "sucky".

Joe, the Winamp does the conversion at about a second or two to each minute of actual track.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-13-2001 05:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well OK then! I had a hard time believing that a program as popular as Winamp could suck that much ass. I guess it doesn't. I use WinAmp on my PC to listen to MP3 and WAV files and the such, but not to convert stuff.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-13-2001 05:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Convert something and tell me what you think.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-13-2001 05:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I converted something. My review:

WinAmp MP3 to WAV conversion
"This Blows!"
Grade = D+

Ah, welcome to the super high tech world of converting MP3 files to WAV, something that only the elite used to be able to do, but now is available for the masses, thanks to such programs as WinAmp.

In order to convert an MP3 to a WAV, you must first navigate through options, preferences, and plug-ins hierarchy(s) to select what you want. I hate this crap. It reminds me of typical Windows users who navigate through directories and subdirectories and subdirectories just to get to one program (often from the Start Menu). Why not just put an alias ("shortcut" to Windows folk) to the program on your desktop or in a folder on the desktop to make finding said program about 10,000 times quicker? Same can be said for WinAmp. The option to convert to WAV should not be hidden so deep within the bowels of the program. Anyway, after all that is completed, you then play your file and it converts fairly quick. The quality of the resulting WAV file is EXACTLY like the MP3 it came from, which is to be expected. Some people still think that when you convert an MP3 back into a WAV, you get rid of all of the compression artifacts associated with MP3. Not true.

So what makes WinAmp so bad for converting to WAV? YOU HAVE TO SET IT BACK before you can play sound files again! So if you have a playlist and you hit "Play" you will quickly find every sound file (MP3 or not) suddenly converting to large WAV files on your hard drive. I am used to just dragging and dropping a buttload of files on a program and having them all convert, and then being able to use the program as a player immediately after that is completed.

Bottom Line: If I wasn't such a lazy ass bastard, the score would be higher.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: