Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Mission 4 Drive In

Author Topic: Mission 4 Drive In
William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 01:26 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to let everyone know I went to San Antonio yeasterday and stopped by the Mission 4 Drive In. The place is being renovated as evident by the Ticket booth that was left open and ws stocked with several rolls of electrical wire as well as all the new conduit and juntion boxes that were evident on he property. The concession stand/booth also had a constrcution dupster in front of it with alot of old conduit in it as well has some small pieces of new conduit and PVC Plumbing pipe. The one booth I was able to see in had a Brand new Strong Console and Alpha platter in it. All signs are good that the theatre will be reopening for the summer. I had heard a rumor from one of the Liberto people that Cinemark had bought this theatre at the same time they had purchased the Westlakes 9 from Regal. Anyone in here confirm that?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-08-2001 01:50 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmmmmmmm that would be a surprise. Cinemark as far as I know does not own drive-ins.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 03:13 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes That did strike me as odd when I had heard that Cinemark purchased this theatre. The other Odd thing is the use of a new Strong Console and Strong Alpha Platters. I would have figures Leroy would have sprung for the same Christie Packages, minus a soundrack, that hes has been putting in his newest theatres to at least keep consistency.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-08-2001 04:21 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's just say that some people have been telling other people how much $$$ it is costing a certain company to keep a certain brand of projector running. Then the company that makes that brand of projector is starting deny warranty claims on certain parts and fiddle with the prices of other parts.

"That's all I have to say about that."
-- Forrest Gump

Richard Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2001 09:47 AM      Profile for Richard Tucker   Email Richard Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Mission Drive-In is still owned by John Santikos, but he is leasing it to Cinemark along with the Westlakes. The booth renovation took place about four years ago under Act III when I ripped out the old Orcon II consoles and the Norelco and Orcon platters. The consoles had been so abused by the heat in the booth in the summertime (there is no air conditioning) that I could not touch anything inside the consoles without it crumbling to dust. The theater currently has Strong Superhighlight 4kw consoles, Strong DMC platters, Century SA projectors, and Smart FM transmitters (I think the old RadioSound (?) AM transmitters may still be there also). The FM transmitters are fed off the L and R outputs of a Mod II processor, so the sound quality is pretty good. I last worked on the theater in 1997. Glad to see it is still going!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: