Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Internet Explorer 5.5 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Internet Explorer 5.5
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-07-2001 08:35 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A real POS. We all know that.

What size claw hammer do I use to rip out what specific files so I can load IE 5.0 without destroying the entire windows 98 directory?

That 5.5 is nothing short of a bug infested program that never seems to work properly.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-07-2001 08:51 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
If you upgraded from 5.0, you should be able to uninstall the upgrade from the control panel (add/remove programs). I wasn't real fond of 5.5 myself.

Otherwise, you could download 5.5 service pack 1 from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com . This fixed a lot of my problems, but just didn't "do it" for me. I'm running 5.01 SP1 now, and will probably download SP2 this weekend.

If you're feeling particularly adventurous, I hear the beta version of 6.0 has been released...

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-07-2001 09:06 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Adam.

It is not possible to remove 5.5 through add/remove programs. The only option available is to "FIX" it, but that often fails.

Beta 6.0? Oh, God......

They should get their old crap running correctly before they screw up something else.

Adam Martin

- posted 04-07-2001 09:19 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Job security.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-07-2001 10:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6.0 beta? I thought IE 4.0-5.5 were all betas! Actually they are, based on the fact that they are all pretty buggy (some more than others).

With 6.0 they are probably beta testing it to see which bugs they need to add. They need to make sure it will give everyone some grief and not just most people.

Actually, they're not bugs. They're "features".

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-07-2001 10:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Joe, the 5.01 seems to be a good browser when all the updates (about 30 megs worth) are downloaded and installed.

I have had very good luck with it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-08-2001 02:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am using IE version 5C. Of course I am on a Mac. It's probably one of the better browsers on the system, but every once in awhile it will crash hard for absolutely no reason at all. Well except for being programmed by MicroSoft. Netscape works well but it is just too slow for me.

Both IE and Netscape work much faster when you assign the cache to a RAM DISK. Both browsers slowly reload when you hit the "back" button otherwise.

You can do RAM DISKS in Windows, right? I honestly have no idea.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 02:29 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, just because I'm a masocist and I don't know any better, I just upgraded to IE6.0 public preview.

So far, I notice absolutly no difference. The About section tells me that this is IE6.0 and that it is based on Mosaic. But it looks exactly the same and so far behaves exactly the same.

There is one new icon on the tool bar. It is called a Personal Bar, but I haven't clicked on it yet.

They didn't even dress it up like the MSN Explorer.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 03:21 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Regarding Windows 95 - ME the swap file is general managed by Windows itself unless specified otherwise by the user. It is also known a virtual memory. Typical settings is 0 minimum with a max being the size of the C partition. With Windows NT the swap file should be set with a minimum matching the physical RAM, and a max double that. IE if physical RAM is 128MB then minimum should be 128 and max be 256. You can set a larger swapfile but it will not be utilized. One of the major advantages of NT is the ditching of the DOS memory model that is still used in current version of Windows (98 & ME) the OS can only access 640KB of memory at one time. the rest is utilized by page files. When a user gets a Page Fault error it is generall caused by the corruption of the data in one of these page files. NT skips all this and is just one reason NT is more stable. Windows ME is the last release on the old DOS kernel. Windows XP is based on the NT kernel.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-08-2001 03:45 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VM takes some of your hard drive and sections it off for use as if it were RAM. You get the appearence of RAM but at the cost of speed.

What Joe is taking about is RAM disk. It is the exact opposite of Virtual Memory. This is done by taking some of your exess RAM and telling the system that it's OK to pretend that it's a hard drive. Mondo-fast but eats up your RAM if you don't have a lot.

PS: Joe; did you install that firmware upgrade? (2.1.7) I did and had no problems with my 3rd party RAM. How about you? I'm still wondering if I should "downgrade" back to 2.1.6.

Adam Martin

- posted 04-08-2001 10:13 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
From everything I've read about MSIE 6.0, it will finally conform to w3c standards. Hypothetically, this means that web designers no longer have to program "work-arounds" to get the stupid thing to work the way it's supposed to.

If a designer places a !doctype tag specifying which standard to follow, the browser will automatically follow that standard. If there is no !doctype tag, the browser defaults to the unstandard 5.x crap that it was displaying before. That is why Ian has not noticed any change; no one is using the !doctype tag yet.

More info at Webmonkey

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-08-2001 04:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy -

I have not installed the firmware upgrade. I really don't think that I need to. My G4 is running purty sweet as it is. I don't have any 3rd party RAM. Just one big 256 meg stick. I did upgrade firmware a long time ago and noticed no difference. I don't think you can downgrade firmware.

Virtual memory sucks. I always have it turned off. I can't believe X doesn't even allow you to turn it off.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-08-2001 04:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use VM sometimes when I'm doing a really big PhotoShop file or something like that. I don't care one way or another about it. Matter of fact, I don't even know if I have it on or off right now.

Now, RAM disk! I forgot all about that! Up until recently, I didn't have enough RAM to even think about it! Now I have 192MB. That's enough to start using it modestly, isn't it? Now, tell me... what were you doing? Putting your IE cache file into RD? How much space are you giving it?

Wanna' buy another 64MB of Apple's RAM? I just took it out. (It's PC 100 / iMac, the kind you use, right?) I have a little application that checks your RAM for you to make sure it's compliant with Apple's new "stricter" standards. All my RAM checks out. (Got it from Ram-Jet.)

Apple published a 2.1.6 firmware "update" on iDisk shortly after this whole question came up. I was thinking about downloading it. but as long as things are running OK then I'll leave it as-is. Like you, I noticed no real differences.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-08-2001 07:49 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Virtual memory (swap) is generally a Good Thing. I can't really think of a reason why anyone would want to turn it off, unless the disk performance on a given system is just horrible.

When setting up virtual memory, performance can be increased significantly if the swap space is on a different partition or (preferably) physical disk from the one where most of the disk activity is taking place. This is easy to set up on WinNT or Unix systems (some of which can be made to use the /tmp partition for swap space as well), but I'm not sure on how to do this with other OSes.

RAM disks are pretty archaic. They might have made sense at one time for PCs where floppies and slow MFM hard disks were common, but they're pretty much obsolete now, although the idea of using one for a browser cache is an interesting idea. The problem here, though, is that in most cases that would just mean trading disk activity caused by the browser cache for disk activity caused by increased need for swapping to virtual memory, thus killing any potential performance improvement. If you had a few gigs of RAM, though, this might make sense.

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 08:08 PM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive you can tell a Mac where to place the swap file.

On Netscape you can set sizes for the memory cache and disk cache. Setting the memory cache to a good size would be like using a ram disk.

Steven Gorsky

------------------
Projectionist

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: