Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Wendy's buns of death (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Wendy's buns of death
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-29-2001 03:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am interested to know if anyone else has noticed some Wendy's locations serving a different kind of bun on their hamburgers. I noticed this for the first time in north Pueblo, Colorado. (Wait a minute, I'm speaking to movie people here.) Er, ahm..."in Pueblo, Colorado by the Cinemark Tinseltown". These buns (which would normally have a slight yellow tint to them) were "typical" white colored and tasted as if they were very much undercooked. The whole thing was doughey! (sp?...wait, is that even a word?) Needless to say this dry, doughey, underbaked "bun" not only tasted bad, but left me paying for it later when it digested...and I was only able to eat part of it!

Now I am back in the Dallas area and I stopped at a Wendy's in East Mesquite on I-30 and AGAIN found that super nasty hamburger bun in use. This time I couldn't even eat 1/4 of it it was so doughey and as before, was feeling it awhile later. Of course both of these instances were purchased at the drive through where as Joe Pesci puts it best: "they #()@! you at the drive through!"

So I decide to give ol' Dave Thomas one absolute final chance and stopped at a Wendy's in Rockwall, but went inside so I could launch it at the cook "just in case it had one of THOSE buns". Turns out it was the traditional Wendy's buns and all was fine.

So my question is, surely there is someone reading these forums (either a member or a lurker) that knows someone who works at a Wendy's. I would like to know what the deal is. Do the franchises have the choice of:
A. Traditional Wendy's bun
or
B. Super nasty underbaked bun of death?
I just wonder why some locations are using it, but know nothing about how the fast food franchises work.

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2001 10:23 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked the drive-in, I went to the local Holsum bakery to get our buns (it serviced most of upstate Vermont). McDonald's had a contract with them to produce the special yellow buns that they used. I was sometimes able to purchase these buns, but sometimes had to use the off-the-shelf Holsum buns. I still remember the racks and racks of yellow buns on brown bread trays.

I suspect Wendy's is having a supplier problem. Undercooked buns will have live yeast, which I can state with certainty from my earlier days of making homemade beer, is NOT something you want in your system. Eating active yeast can cause serious health problems in some people. If you get a bun like that just throw it away and eat only the meat patty, like I do. You could and should report the problem to Wendy's corporate. Dave won't answer though, he's retired and offshore fishing in Ft. Lauderdale.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2001 04:22 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And yet Dave manages to be in those commerials like he cares.

Yes, Brad. I understand where you're coming from. For I was there all three times. And damn were those some nasty buns. I'm probably still harboring yeast in my system as I write this. Sometimes you get the good buns, sometimes you get the bad. It becomes a gamble. But then again, so is everything else in the fast food industry. I am inclined however to think that quality is something an owner should concern himself with, but I guess I'm being too naive. Anyway, I hope Dave is catching some big fish, because I doubt he'd want to eat one of his own burgers now.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-29-2001 04:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave DOES care! Just not about you. Why the hell would he do that?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2001 08:36 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it means anything to anyone the best fast food I've ever had is from the A&W. I don't know if they're a national chain, but here there burgers actually look like the pictures. Full buns, fresh letuce. Oh its good.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2001 09:37 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GROSS!

Not as discusting as the link Jerry provided, but still very gross!

------------------
Andrew McCrea

"I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Drawn That Way!" - Jessica Rabbit

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2001 11:49 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What amazed me about Wendy's burgers is the size of them. My mom brought home some a few weeks ago, and I opened the bun for the heck of it, the thing was nearly as thin as a few dollar bills, and probably the width of a silver dollar. Of course Im exagerating a bit, but geez. Now I know why I dont buy burgers at McD's and places like that.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-30-2001 12:30 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You want a small burger?
You want a REALLY SMALL burger?

Two words:

White Castle.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-30-2001 03:04 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A&W has some of the best burgers money can buy. Of course the only one around me is up in the mountains, but it is worth the drive. They don't screw up your order like other places do. What's up with that? I order mine with cheese, mustard, light ketchup, and no onions. What do I get at most places? A plain burger with onions. Are you REQUIRED to be retarded to work at a fast food joint? I order them like that because that's the way I like them, and it also forces them to cook it fresh instead of giving you an "off the shelf" burger that they had sitting there waiting for you for two hours or more. This also works when you order "fries with no salt" but I rarely do that.

Why do restaurants assume that everybody prefers TONS of ketchup and mayonaise, mysterious special sauce (with "secret" ingredients), one drop of mustard, lettuce, tomato and onions on their burgers? I guess they also assume everybody is the same.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-30-2001 10:56 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
White Castle Hamburgers are the best. They are small (two bites) they are delicious. You can buy them by the dozen. You can eat them while you drive. They are not messey. They have passed the test of time, they have been around over 70 years. They go great with Coke or Pepsie or Gin. Say no more, send me a dozen.
Now you have made me hungry, I'm going to lunch.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 11:53 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe: Your post reminded me of the running gag in 'The Whole Nine Yards' about Canadians putting mayonaise on burgers. Bruce Willis and Mathew Perry have some hilarious moments with this theme in the film. And who could forget that wonderful exchange in 'Pulp Fiction' between Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta about fast food?

But back to the topic at hand...whenever I go to Burger King I always ask for no ketchup or mayonaise, as they must then make up a fresh burger for you (plus I don't like those condiments at all) and same with Micky D's...I prefer Burger King though.

We don't have Wendy's in Australia! Well, that's not entirely true; there is a Wendy's chain but they only sell ice-cream, not burgers or any kind of other food as far as I know. It's more like a Baskin-Robbins stand.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 01:43 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob (or anyone in the know), are the White Castle burgers as small as Krystal burgers? We don't have a White Castle in Huntsville.

Evans

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 01:56 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are the same type of burger. When I could eat bread, I used to love the Krystal bombers. Little square burgers with holes in them to let them cook faster and more evenly. Hot steamed buns. Yumm.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-30-2001 01:58 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of Krystal burgers. While Castle burgers are about 2" squares,maybe 1/8th thick with little holes and are cooked with chopped onion. put Catsup and mustard, they are a taste delight. Great tasting Small bun.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 02:25 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McDonald's at Grant Park, right around me, always screws up the orders. I'm not going to get to go anymore, because of the head, but when they use to ask us to wait at the "Special Order Parking", She'd say "NO!" and the employee would dissapear.

I have to say that I like McDonald's French Fries. I also got to go driving to Arizona for Christmas a couple of years ago. We stopped at every McDonald's we saw, or so it seemed! I liked "JACK IN THE BOX" though. It was pretty good for a fast food joint.

I like A&W and I like Wendy's, but Wendy's food is in such small porportions. Their large, or "biggie" as it's called is only the size of a small McDonald's french fries package.

------------------
Andrew McCrea

"I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Drawn That Way!" - Jessica Rabbit

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: