Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Burning a CD with Audio track first.

Author Topic: Burning a CD with Audio track first.
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-28-2001 04:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of a way, on Mac or PC, to burn a CD so that track 1 is audio (CD-DA) and will play on a standard CD player while track two is data and will show up on a computer?

All the programs I use want to make track 1 the data track for some retarded reason, but I want it so that if someone puts the CD in an audio system, they don't have to skip track one to hear the audio. Track one should pop up automatically and say "Yo homie dis be a data CD and not a audio CD biotch! Git yo ass to a computer and put dis disc into a computer yo to get da filez peace out word!"

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-28-2001 05:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice idea, but I'm pretty sure this isn't possible. If you want to mix data (yellow book) and sound (red book) information on the same CD, the data has to go in the "track 1" area, assuming that you want to maintain compatability with existing players. There are some other standards that let you get around this, but they break backwards compatability.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-28-2001 09:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta' CD at home that has data and music on it. When I get back, I'll take a look at it under ResEdit or something and report back.

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2001 12:04 AM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you want to make is known as a mixed-mode cd, specifically an enhanced music cd (aka cd plus and cd extra).

These work by writing up to 98 audio (red book) tracks in the first session then a single data track in the second session.

Since audio cd players are only able to read the first session they will not try to play the data track at all. CD-ROM drives on the other hand can "see" both sessions (unless they are really, really old - like single speed and early 2x), and access both the audio and the data portions.

Steven Gorsky

------------------
Projectionist

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2001 01:14 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, you're on a mac right?

i've been doing this for years. it's quite simple.

you need a copy of adaptec jam (or astarte CD-DA which is what it was originally called before adaptec bought it) Anyways, fire up Jam and cue up your audio track(s) in it. Now, when you hit the record button, be sure to tell it to close session, not close disc. When the disc is finished, you will have a completly normal playable audio cd. Now, fire up Toast and set up your data area. put this cd back in the burner (if it isn't already there) and hit burn. That will create a second table of contents outside the end of the audio session and burn the data there.

Like i said, this is the way i have done it on a mac for a long time now. However, i believe you can do this all in Toast. burn audio first choosing a session only then burn the data in a seperate session.

I hope this helps. Perhaps my brother Tod will step in and add any insight to doing this in a Windows environment.
-sean

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-29-2001 02:58 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I am on a Mac. There really is absolutely no known reason in the world to use anything else, except to check compatibility issues, etc.

That is excellent information, thanks.

Scott... Around 1989 there was a videogame system called the PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 that used CD-ROMs to store the game data. The track layout was like this:
|-AUDIO-|-DATA-|-AUDIO-|-AUDIO-|-AUDIO,etc-|-DATA-|
They were far ahead of what typical burn software can do now even back then! And yes, the audio was all playable in any standard CD player. Clone CD can copy these games, but until programs like Clone CD came out, it was impossible to copy PC Engine CDs and actually get them to function properly.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2001 04:47 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, you can use a program called Nero Burning Rom. The website is at http://ahead.de
Its a foreign program, but works *great* for anything. Its the program I use exclusively for burning/making cd's. You can pretty much buy this program and not worry about buying another burning proggie again. They are coming out with a mac version in may. But for the pc the newest version is supposed to be really good, I have version 5.0.3.8 and it does have the ability for a mixed mode cd, (audio/data) and for the first track to be audio. You can do it manually or use the wizard. Hope this helps.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-10-2001 07:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aldo,

Actually I do have Nero (PC Version). I do like it. I don't see any explicit way to make it so the data track is last, though. The best way is to do multisession discs like indicated above. That works on Nero and Toast.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: