Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » And the Oscar goes to... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: And the Oscar goes to...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-23-2001 05:19 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my take on how Sunday night will go...

BEST PICTURE

Chocolat
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Erin Brockovich
Gladiator
Traffic

ACTOR - LEADING

Javier Bardem - Before Night Falls
Russell Crowe - Gladiator
Tom Hanks - Cast Away
Ed Harris - Pollock
Geoffrey Rush - Quills

ACTOR -- SUPPORTING

Jeff Bridges - The Contender
Willem Dafoe - Shadow of the Vampire
Benicio Del Toro - Traffic
Albert Finney - Erin Brockovich
Joaquin Phoenix - Gladiator

ACTRESS - LEADING

Joan Allen - The Contender
Juliette Binoche - Chocolat
Ellen Burstyn - Requiem for a Dream
Laura Linney - You Can Count on Me
Julia Roberts - Erin Brockovich

ACTRESS - SUPPORTING

Judi Dench - Chocolat
Marcia Gay Harden - Pollock
Kate Hudson - Almost Famous
Frances McDormand - Almost Famous
Julie Walters - Billy Elliot

DIRECTING

Billy Elliot
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Ang Lee
Erin Brockovich
Gladiator
Traffic

What do you think?

click here for a picture of this year's nominees

------------------
"It's not the years, honey...it's the mileage". Indiana Jones

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-23-2001 05:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am finding it hard to care about the Oscars this year. I'll probably watch 'em, but if something more exciting comes up (like scooping the cat box) I will probably do that instead. 2000 was a bad year for movies. Hopefully 2001 will turn out to be better.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2001 05:41 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for the cat box. Now that JP got his award, the rest is downhill.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2001 06:17 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BEST PICTURE

Chocolat
Erin Brockovich
Gladiator
Traffic

ACTOR - LEADING

Tom Hanks - Cast Away
Ed Harris - Pollock
Geoffrey Rush - Quills

ACTOR -- SUPPORTING

ACTRESS - LEADING

ACTRESS - SUPPORTING

Judi Dench - Chocolat

DIRECTING

Billy Elliot
Erin Brockovich
Gladiator
Traffic

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-23-2001 06:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The ones in bold are the ones that will absolutely NOT win:

BEST PICTURE

Chocolat
Erin Brockovich
Gladiator
Traffic

ACTOR - LEADING

Tom Hanks - Cast Away

Ed Harris - Pollock
Geoffrey Rush - Quills

ACTOR -- SUPPORTING

ACTRESS - LEADING

ACTRESS - SUPPORTING

Judi Dench - Chocolat

DIRECTING

Billy Elliot
Erin Brockovich
Gladiator
Traffic

How do I know this? Simple! These are the only films on the list that I saw and the Academy never likes what I watch.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-25-2001 10:58 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's tonight's winners list:
http://www.oscars.com/oscarnight/winners/winners.html

And this year's scientific & technical winners:
http://www3.oscars.org/scitech/73/index.html

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2001 08:32 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great night! Steve Martin was brilliant (and Tom Hanks does great ad-libs)!

I get so tired of the sweeps at the Oscars. It was so much fun to see the awards spread around this time... and the winners were all so classy. AND the show was so much shorter than it's been recently. How many tiresome movie tribute montages did they have last year? This year, only the obligatory tribute to the dearly departed OR clips to honor people who were actually up for awards.

Finally, the broadcast is heading in the right direction. I hope Steve Martin hosts again.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-26-2001 10:57 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Steve Martin was great. In fact I think I enjoyed him more as host more than any other person who has hosted so far. The show was shorter like it should be. They made a bad year for movies actually very fun to watch!

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2001 11:24 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll agree with your last sentence Joe, but I'm still kinda partial to Billy Crystal. Anyway, Not a bad show in terms of getting it in and getting it done. Thank God they forever tabled those dumb-ass expressionist dance numbers from a few years back. I was almost certain Julia Roberts was going to spout some anti-Bush stuff in here speech, but she didn't. And even though Russell Crowe is a HUDGE HORSE'S ASS, he still gave an excellent acceptance speech (sorry to our Australian friends, but he is what he is).

I am very skeptical of elite Hollywood types on both sides of the camera and in the studio apparatice too. I laugh at their shallow lives as they often speak of creativity, art, message, and meaning. I think a few of them know little of what those are. Their causes superceed in their lives and they live simply for the moment. They scream and yell about the poor, the victims, the downtrodden, yet they live lives of opulent riches. They are truly the nobility of America, and yet many I would not even walk across the street for. They are a strange group that I don't think I'll ever understand.

Mark Lucas
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2001 12:42 PM      Profile for Mark Lucas   Email Mark Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who would be an elite Hollywood type?

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-26-2001 12:56 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will post my guesses for who will win an Oscar last night when I get home, tonight. OK?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-26-2001 01:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they should have Steve Martin host every year, but bring Billy Crystal on for a guest spot so he can sing his usual tribute tune, which is always hilarious.

As long as they don't have Whoopi Goldberg on again ever!

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2001 03:42 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
The elite Hollywood types are hard to explain, but they usually follow some similar guidelines.

In the Studios the Weinstein brothers are probably about the most famous in our time. Bob and Harvey call many of the shots but I believe they are just plain idiots. You know I don't want to get on a soapbox here but the Weinsteins have produced more morally offensive films than what is nessessary. Frankly, both of them are morally offensive. The Farrelly brothers in direction direct funny, but tastless films. Last night at the Oscars, did Jennifer Lopez have to show up with erect nipples showing through here gown. Bjork. Hey, nice swan! Did anybody ever teach her about glamour. And the damndest thing is these people think it's cute, funny, liberating, open-minded; you name it they have a word for it. And it is more than those I've just mentioned. Hey Danny Devido: Your inside, take off your sun glasses! Why do these people always feel they must make a statement?

What ever happened to the Hollywood of the 1930's and 40's? Wouldn't it be nice to have many more honest, hard working actors and actresses who enjoy they craft such as Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson. No, we have drug sniffing criminals (Morton Downey Jr.), left-wing radicals (Jullia Roberts), right-wing radicals (Charalton Heston), religious zelots (Richard Gear), etc. etc. If actors and actresses would spend more time reviewing good roles instead of marching in the PETA parade (yeah, you know who you are Alicia Silverstone), we would get better product, maybe.

What I'm so sick of is how these people take roles that just plain suck simply because they see a "connection" between the character and the actor's real life "causes". Rosie O'Donell, Susan Sarandon, Nichole Kidman. I don't want to belabor this anylonger. These are just my personal thoughts about Hollywood.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2001 10:24 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Russell Crowe was a New Zealander. Is there a difference between them and you Aussies, John?

I'd personally like to see Jay Leno host an Oscar show just for kicks. After all Letterman got a shot. Or maybe Martin Short can host now that Chevy Chase and Steve Martin have done so. Or to be really cruel to the public, they could have Adam Sandler host one year doing his Little Nicky impression all throughout the ceremony.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-26-2001 10:34 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMEN, Aaron M!!!!!!!!!

-AS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: