Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » spel checks and paragrffs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: spel checks and paragrffs
Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 10:59 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dissing someone's spelling is a no-no in polite company, and I'll admit that mine has flaws of its own, but some posts are getting nearly unreadable. I just tried to read one that was one single huge blob of a paragraph, and gave up. I've read others where the spelling errors were distracting to the point of making the posts seem unprofessional, even though the content was excellent.

I know some folks like to post after hours, with a brew in hand, but would it be too much to ask everyone to read their post, either before sending it or immediately after the buzz wears off, and correcting the most glaring errors?

A tip if your spelling is bad and you know it - write your post using a word processor, run it through the spellcheck, then cut and paste it into the forum text box.

This isn't English class, and I hope folks don't think I'm going off the deep end, but I do want to be able to read what people are trying to say. Thanks.

Note to Evans - The Bible is a self-referencing document with the theme "All your gods are belong to us."

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-21-2001 11:04 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerwee,

U talkin' tooo meeee?

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 11:17 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually always make spelling errors the first time I write, and usually have to edit most posts at least twice to get all spelling errors out.

Last night, I made a post that was one huge paragraph (in the "Caring About Composition" thread) listing many attributes of a theatre that was built in a former grocery store location, and after writing it, went in and quickly "broke it up" into shorter paragraphs, which made it much easier to read.

Sometimes, even days after making a post, I'll spot a spelling or grammatical error that I never saw before. Thank goodness we can edit our posts on these forums.

This thread is just begging for the following to be posted:

The Spelling Checker Song

I have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot see.

Eye ran this poem threw it.
Your sure real glad two no.
Its very polished in its weigh,
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a blessing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays comes posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checkers
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're laks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
There are know faults with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does not phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped words fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaws are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too please.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 11:20 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bob. Not really. You should se the mess that I type bfore i clean it up and his send. When im typing tast I can be one to fo the worst offenrdrs/.

That paragraph was exactly as I typed it at speed, without trying to be funny. I always have to do at least a couple read-throughs of my posts. Normally, I don't type fast enough to get sentences looking like that, but I always have errors that I have to correct.

When I don't use spell-checking, I read through my posts immediately after they are posted, and snag out the worst problems. I'm convinced that my net connection somehow knows how to screw up my words between my computer to Brad's servers.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-21-2001 11:33 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry

I just edited my post it was a mess with one continuous paragraph. Sometimes when I start ranting all proper procedures go out the window when it comes to paragraphs.

I to have to go back and edit these problems out if I think about it. Sometimes I just get in a hurry.

Just for the record I do not drink so I was in a consiuos state when making the post.

Bob Maar

- posted 03-21-2001 01:03 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry, I do the same as you. I review what I send and hit the edit button. I am not computor literate enough to be able to cut and paste. As a matter of fact I forgot to give Robert DiNiro credit for my line which I stole from "Waxie Wiver".

I love Evans response.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 01:43 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Rachel's Training Class for Copying and Pasting*

If you would like to read the following, please send your credit card number to SolemnRaz@aol.com where between $1 - $1000 will be deducted. (I'm being like the big guys where you never know the exact amount withdrawn).

-Thankyou-

Click your mouse button at the beginning of what you want to copy, hold the button down and drag it to the end of the area you want to copy so it is highlighted Then hold down the alt button and hit the letter C

Go to the area or window you want to paste it, hold down the alt button and hit the letter V... TA-DA!!!

Ok, thats about my extent of computer classes! hehe

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-21-2001 02:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike's Update on Rachel's Computer Class

Don't hit the Alt-C and Alt-V.... you need to use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V.

Don't worry Rachel, I'll only charge you 25% of whatever credit card fees you get!

Bob Maar

- posted 03-21-2001 03:05 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel, Thanks for the information, I appreciate the help. Some time soon I will figure out where all these keys are located.

I saw Mike's post up above and hope you don't have to pay him too much.

My Credit card information is as follows: Please keep it confidential and don't let anyone one else have it.

American Express Gold: 3921 453816 73072
Expiration Date 08/05

Remember the above information is a secret.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-21-2001 04:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Mac its even eaiser to copy and paste. The control key is waaay over on the corners of the keyboard, so you have to use two hands or stretch your fingers to press Control-C and control-V. On the Apple its Command (The key with the Apple symbol)-C and Command-V. Command is right next to the space bar, so you can do it quickly and effortlessly with one hand.

There are UBB forums like this one that have built in Javascript spellcheckers.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-21-2001 08:37 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are text editors especially for off-line editing before posting to a BBS. One that comes to mind is UBB Writer.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jgar1/ubbw.html

But first, you'll need to get a Mac to run it on. I'm sure there are other apps for lesser machines.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2001 02:17 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DAMN!

I was trying to be funny and I can't even get that right!!!!! Now I gotta share all my money!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2001 09:51 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that correct spelling and grammer is very esential to good writing. People that can't seem to form porper sentences just doesn't give a good impression. By fourth grade, nearly everyone should of been taught how to properly get they're ideas in to english. In complete sentences, too. If you doesn't know english pretty good, you should pick up a grammer guide, which be of significant help occasionally, or even hire you some secreterial staff. There's few things worst than trying to read some poorly written paragraph, its givin an impression thats badder than a kindergarden kid. Always strive for excellance in you're writing and if yor mispell words a lot, be sure their some good spellers enroled in your departmant. Mispellings are an embarressment. I ain't meaning to be hipocritical but this subject is being relevent to a lot of stuff going on here and I feel that Jerry done good by bringing it up. I haven't saw much good grammer in public forums in quite a while and good speling went away about 30 years ago. All those folks borned about a generation or two ago just didn't absorb the stuff that they was teached as well and they just never knowed their english. A few years ago I seen a poster that had a big ol' cartoon and at the top it said "How many mispelled words can you find" and I thought it was pretty wierd. There was always one mispelled word on that poster noone never found. Oh, and about cutting and pasting, if you don't know them shortcut keys, you can always go up to the Edit menu and use the cut copy and paste options embeded in it. Well, I gess I'll get down off my sope box about grammer and speling.

Evans

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2001 10:55 AM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It had been on my mind for sometime now to bring up this topic, but I must admit that I was afraid that doing so would create a great deal of criticism. Many people today just don't care what impression they make when speaking or writing. I prefer to read well written dialogue as, obviously, it makes it much easier both to read and to understand.

There is no need to use elaborate vocabulary, as we want everyone to understand our messages. However, the lack of good grammar and spelling, or typing, is uncalled for and as mentioned previously, can easily be corrected by simple review before sending each post.

It would also help to lessen some of the misunderstandings that occur from time to time.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2001 11:46 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit, I am one of the worst in this forum when it comes to this. I will make the conscious effort to correct and spell check my work before I post it in a Forum. And it is OK Jerry I appreciate you pointing it out as sometimes we may not notice that we are doing it until somebody says something.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: