Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » have you guys seen this? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: have you guys seen this?
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 01:13 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is pretty strange.
http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf

dont worry, its safe to look at.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 01:35 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK! Yes, I would say strange but kinda cool

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 01:38 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
heh heh, "All your prints are belong to us!"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-21-2001 03:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good God. I was wondering when this was going to reach the Film-Tech forums.

A little background: There was a video game in the early 1990's that was released in Japan for the Mega Drive (our Sega Genesis) called Zero Wing. This game was never released in the US. The Japanese, however, absolutely love to have everything in English. Unfortunately proper English is not a priority. So the introduction to this game had very, very bad grammar. With phrases like "All your base are belong to us" and "Somebody set us up the bomb!" it is very easy to make fun of this game, which is exactly what the Flash file linked in the first post does.

I rented this game in 1992. And now it has come back to haunt us all.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 03:40 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear God. I visit about a dozen forums on the net on a regular basis. None of them have anything to do with each other, and as far as I can tell, I am the only cross-over member on all of the them. Yet this thing has made the rounds on all of them. This flash file is a net phenomenon, its everywhere.

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 04:38 AM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it was weird
i Didnt understand it Though

------------------

John Keegan
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 06:45 AM      Profile for John Keegan   Email John Keegan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT THE ....

Kinda Neat Actually...Strange, but neat...

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 09:31 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that explains why people have been writing the phrase "All your base are belong to us" all over the desk pad at the Baptist Student Center here! This madness started in the middle of last week. Usually, people who hang around write all kinds of witty sayings or sentences or anything they can think of on the pad and a sheet gets torn off when it gets too messy. I went in there one day and written about 50 times was "All you base are belong to us" and I nearly blew a fuse trying to figure out what was funny or significant about the wording. I figured it was some lyrics from some new rap song or something, but one person said it was from a badly translated video game. Thanks for the URL, because now my mind can rest.

Evans A Criswell

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 10:28 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been loosely following this for a few weeks. You can get a timeline of events here: http://hubert.retrogames.com/history.htm

Spinks About.com comes up with a search response that somewhat indicates the music video/flash animation is primarily driving the latest sudden increase in interest.

The phenom. is already passe in some circles. If you do a meta-search, you find it even being used to describe real estate, among other things (lamers). The marketing boys are now in an all-out rush to capitalize on what they see as an insider phrase before it gets worn out. Expect to see tv ads, print ads, toys, and everything else trying to rip off AYBABTU over the next couple of months. See if you can resist buying some cute bit of junk with AYBABTU tattooed all over it. It could be hard.

What interests me isn't the phrase so much as the spread. Gamers and netheads are being elevated to the status of cultural leaders. The phrase, depending on your point-of-view can be seen as a meme or a virus, or any number of other possibilities.

I am kind of amused by the "All your balls are belong to us" rip-off.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-21-2001 10:56 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody help me.....
I'm confuzzed!?!

Josh

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-21-2001 11:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's to be confused about? It's all from a 9 year old Japanese videogame with bad grammar. That's all.

I don't know if we'll actually start seeing TV commercials, etc. based on this. If we do then that will be amazing. We would have to start something new and annoying here on Film-Tech and see if it spreads around just as much and maybe some one will make a movie about it.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 05:22 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Onion gets into the act.

Congress Adds 'All Your Base Are Belong To Us' Amendment To Bankruptcy Bill
WASHINGTON, DC-- Seeking to increase fiscal accountability among citizens who have no chance to survive make their time, the House of Representatives added an "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" amendment Monday to H.R. 333, the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2001. "What you say!!!" shouted the bill's sponsor, Rep. George Gekas (R-PA), following the amendment's approval. "This bill will not only make debt-ridden Americans more accountable, but it has the added benefit of taking off every 'zig' for great justice." Opponents of the amendment protested that it would potentially set up U.S. the bomb.

Tod J. Weitzel
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2001 01:45 AM      Profile for Tod J. Weitzel   Author's Homepage   Email Tod J. Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1966: Live long and prosper
1977: May the force be with you
2001: All your base are belong to us

I put that on a tshirt and they're selling in absurd quantities.

-Tw?

------------------
Resident nerd.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-22-2001 10:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's one image in there with a fortune cookie...

Anybody read Penn and Teller's How to Play With Your Food? There is a gag you do in a Chineese restaurant with a fortune cookie by substituting your own "pre-arranged" fortune.

If you were with the right crowd, that'd be pretty funny!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-23-2001 12:45 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another Onion classic with an hilarious dig at 'other language' grammar...
CLICK HERE

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: