Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What is your fav. single reel cartoon? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What is your fav. single reel cartoon?
Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2001 12:17 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, those 7.5 or 8 min cartoons in the rusted cans from the depot from hell. Inside those cans that required a hammer to open were the gems of the industry.

What was your favorite?

Mine has to be the Bugs Bunny Porky take-off on Wagnerian opera. The first time I saw it, I was laughing so hard and so spastic that I couldn't thread the next reel.

"Oy-yo, to-ho! Oy-yo, to-ho! Be vewwwy qwiet, I'm hunting wabbits!"

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2001 01:15 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you referring to "What's Opera Doc?" Was it the one with the "Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit" song in it?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-19-2001 01:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam in "Knighty Knight Bugs." It's the only Bugs Bunny cartoon to win an Oscar.

"Whoa dragon...whoa...whooooooooooa!!!! (WHAPPP!!) When ah say whoa....ahhhhhh meeeeean WHOA!"

Or any other Bugs/Yosemite Sam cartoon will do in a pinch.

Very close second choice: Any Chuck Jones-directed Road Runner pic.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2001 01:34 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the one. I was able to get a tape of it a few years back. Twuwey a cwassic. IIRC, it was done as a response to Fantasia?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-19-2001 01:44 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarves' (1943). Although it's long been condemned as racist, in fact it's really using African-American culture as a way of sending up cutesy Disney sentimentality (Coal Black is a singer in a Harlem nightclub). I've only ever seen it once on a bootleg b/w 16mm copy, and have been told that Warners refuse point blank to allow any public showings or TV broadcasts because they fear the bad publicity that could result.

Close second: 'Herr or Hare?' (1944) in which Elmer Fudd plays Hitler. Porky (Goering) presents him with a freshly caught Black Forest rabbit (Bugs), making a Nazi salute and saying 'H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-Heil Hitler!'. Elmer replies 'Heil me!', opens the bag, and out pops Bugs in a Cossack uniform!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-19-2001 02:47 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually "Corny Concerto" was done as WB's sendup of The Mouse' "Fantasia." It even featured Elmer doing his best Deems Taylor narrator impression.

And sadly "What's Opera Doc?" was Arthur Q. Bryant's last performance as Elmer's voice--he died not long after that one was completed.

My favorite? "Cheese Chasers" with the two mice Hubey and Berty, and Claude the cat. The poor dog trying to figure things out with an adding machine at the end still gets me after seeing it hundreds of times. "It just don't add up!"

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-19-2001 02:48 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else see the Columbia Cartoons retrospective that was part of the Columbia 75th fest? The Brattle Theatre in Cambridge, MA. ran it, but I don't think it played in many other theatres.

Anyway, it featured a great collection of Columbia shorts from the '30s through the early '50s. I typed up the program notes at the time, so I just did a slap-dash HTML conversion (it's kind of ugly); here's the link:

Columbia 75th Cartoon Fest Program Notes

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2001 03:13 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great cartoons! One of my favorite topics. Here are some of my favorites:

Swing Shift Cinderella (Tex Avery) - Some of the best timing of any cartoon ever. And "Red" is magnificent!

Magical Maestro (Tex Avery) - One great projection gag, other than that, pure lunacy.

Robin Hood Daffy (Chuck Jones) - Yoikes and Away!

Any of the Bugs/Daffy/Elmer series, especially the one with the line "Pronoun Trouble!"

One Froggy Evening (Chuck Jones) - Michigan J. Frog

Stimpy's Invention (John Kricfalusi) - OK, it never played in a theatre, but this is about as crazy as they come. "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy"

But my very favorite of all time is a Chuck Jones masterpiece featuring Daffy called DUCK AMUCK. This breaks every possible rule and plays with the entire concept of animated cartoons. A masterpiece.

That's a good enough list for now...there are so many more!

Mark Lensenmayer

------------------
"As a moral to young men who come down to the city, don't go round breaking people's tambourines."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-19-2001 04:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the Looney Tunes still available for bookings? We ran a bunch of them several years ago when they were handled by Kit Parker Films. Some of the prints were horrible shape, but some weren't too bad.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2001 05:40 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom & Jerry "Heavenly Puss"

Popeye "Popeye Meets Hercules"

Tex Avery "Who Killed Who" and "King Size Canary"

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-19-2001 06:26 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Mike, Kit Parker still handles the WB toons. I used 'em recently re-opening a drive-in to play before the features.

Their website is www.kitparker.com and their number is (831) 393-0303.

Print quality is touch and go, though.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-19-2001 08:02 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In no particular order as they are all fantastic...

Zoom and Bored with Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote (Genius).

Rabbit Seasoning. (Yaes! Ah would just Loooove a duck dinner!)

Duck Amuck. (Hey! What are YOU doing up there?)

One Froggy Evening. (Hello My Sweetie...)

Gone Batty. (They're bringing the MASCOT into the game!) (an elephant)

Duck Dodgers In The 24 1/2 Century. (I claim this planet on behalf of Planet Earth...BBBBB Big Deal!)

There are many more but...

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-20-2001 12:14 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn-near ANY Tex Avery... the master of exaggeration and timing.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Tod J. Weitzel
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2001 03:15 AM      Profile for Tod J. Weitzel   Author's Homepage   Email Tod J. Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite Warner cartoon of all time remains "Feed the Kitty." The dog's facial expressions are some of the most hilarious drawings ever committed to animation cels.

-Tw?

------------------
Resident nerd.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2001 09:48 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

There was a laserdisc box set containing, I believe, all of the cartoons that Tex Avery did for MGM. I love to get that out and watch some of those occasionally. Some are really strange. Ahhh, if they'd just put it on DVD. The set was called "The Complete Tex Avery" or something like that. If you can find this set, it's well worth having.

Just seeing my friends' reaction to "Swing Shift Cinderella" was priceless. They were laughing out of control. I forget that the younger generation was not raised on those types of cartoons like I was.

Evans A Criswell

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: