Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Why would anyone want to clone a human being?... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why would anyone want to clone a human being?...
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2001 06:06 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is moraly wrong. Didn't they learn from the sheep. Clone a sheep from a three year old sheep. When the sheep reaches three years old they check the age of the cells and find that the three year old sheep is actualy six years old.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-11-2001 06:47 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl, I agree with you.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2001 06:55 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would only like to clone myself, if I could then take over that body and have a younger, less abused me. (With modifications) But a clone wouldn't be you; it would be like an identical twin. Since, by all indications, I am unique, I wouldn't want a copy of me walking around. Cloning may be good for growing body parts. If the ethics of this can be worked out, I would support it.

The Irish potato famine of the last century proved that diversity is the answer. Although there are hundreds of different types of potatoes, the Irish only grew one. When a pest wiped out that one strain of potato then the people went hungry. If the Irish had grown but three types of potatoes, then they wouldn't have starved.

The cloning of humans will be done soon, but I am sure that it will be outlawed like marrying your sister is outlawed. Genetic diversity is good, genetic copying is bad.

Now, if we could just clone Joe Redifer…(After all, the army does need targets to practice on.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-11-2001 07:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I would love to have my clones be shot at just for practice! Can I shoot one up, too?

Maybe Bevan would join the Army just so he could take a shot as well!

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-11-2001 07:43 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at that picture on the left. If you would like to have a clone of that young man, simply put a single dollar bill in the mail marked to my attention.

Do it right away. before you forget and I run out of clones.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2001 11:04 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find the cloning of humans furor funny. Identical twins are clones, just as much as any other type of clone. Plants have been cloned by humans for centuries, if not millenia. Whenever a cutting is taken from a plant and stuck in the ground, the plant is cloned.

If someone clones himself, thinking it will somehow make him immortal, he's nuts. I've seen identical twins that hate each other. Call it soul, conciousness, ego, or id, you can't clone the essence of the thoughts and feelings that make up any of the higher animals. The religious issues are specious, since identical twins are already recognized by churches as distinct beings with individual souls, and artificial fertilization is accepted by most religions, even though it breaks the sacred bonds of matrimony by allowing a third party to become inimately involved in the process of procreation.

BTW, the telemerones(sp?) on Dolly weren't truncated, as far as any reports I've seen. If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate a cite.

I agree with the general idea about diversity within a species being vital, but the potato famine was more a sociological issue between the poor Irish and their landlords and the Brits, who by in large refused to give aid. Potato blight and black rot affect many varieties of spuds, so much so that most seed potato has to come from certified disease free farms away from the general crop areas. Vermont happens to be one of the areas that grows seed potatoes. I know my Vermont history, and my family came from a long line of farmers (some Irish, some various varieties of Brit).

IMO, cloning humans won't have 1/100th the effect of genetically altering food crops. The corn fiasco shows how weak the safeguards are. Duplicating a small number of beings at the top of the food chain is bound to have less effect on the entire system than playing with the basic foodstuffs we all depend on. One rogue plant strain that is invasive, toxic, and able to cross-pollinate could destroy much of the animal life on the planet if left unchecked.

Hey!, what I don't know about projectors I make up in other areas that are much more useless. Just don't ask me the proper way to time a shutter to get maximum light without ghosting.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-12-2001 12:54 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think people have entirely WRONG idea about cloning. It seems like people have this idea that it's like making a "living photo copy" of somebody.

In truth, the two people or animals are only genetically identical. Just like identical twins, there WILL be some differences between the two people. How many times have you seen twins that you can easily tell apart after you meet them a few times. The differences may be subtile but they are there.

Second, since people can't have identical life experiences they are BOUND to have slightly different personalities. Yes, there are all these stories about identical twins being separated at birth who are reunited as adults only to find out that they have both become firefighters, or something. Anecdotal evidence is pretty convincing but what I bet you DON'T hear about are the stories where people end up being DIFFERENT. Psychologically, we ALL want to find similarities, even if the connection isn't really there.

Finally, if somebody were to clone ME. (Let's just suppose for the sake of arguement... God knows WHY anybody would want somebody else like ME! )
The clone would be 35 years younger than me! He would be growing up in a different society than the one I grew up in and he would have different parents. Those forces that shaped ME wouldn't be the forces that shape my hypothetical clone. The best we can hope for is somebody who looks a lot like me when I was a kid. Who knows, maybe he'll be even goofier than I am!

The only way we could have identical people by making clones would be to make TWO clones of the same person and then put them in a "sterile", controled environment until they are old enough to have had their personalities "set-in".

I think it's far-fetched enough just to make ONE clone! It makes a great subject for a MOVIE, though!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-12-2001 10:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually this may have an advantage
Clone myself and get more work done

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2001 11:35 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

Where do I mail my dollar?????? Give me an address!!!!

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-13-2001 06:42 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel, You can send your dollar to either of the following:

Your local "Jimmy Fund" or the"Will Rogers Hospital"

and remember it is tax deductible.

Thanks, for your sense of humor.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2001 07:25 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian said>

>The cloning of humans will be done soon, but I am sure that it will be outlawed like marrying your sister is outlawed. .>

My God !! Marrying your sister isn't allowed? I better tell my Alabama cousins.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2001 08:52 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

That's a great idea!!!

------------------
Andrew McCrea

"I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Drawn That Way!" - Jessica Rabbit

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-16-2001 09:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if that means I will have too pay twice as much income tax

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-16-2001 11:09 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember the movie Multiplicity with Michael Keaton. The clones kept getting dumber.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2001 03:25 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry,

Dolly's three old year cells showed telomere lengths similar to that of a six year old sheep indicating a premature aging. You can read the article here:

http://genetics.tqn.com/science/genetics/library/weekly/aa082000a.htm

I also read that Persephone and her sister calves (now heifers as the article indicates) have had their telomeres lengthened possibly giving them a prolonged lifespan by about fifty percent. More information on the article here:

http://genetics.tqn.com/science/genetics/library/weekly/aa082100a.htm

I'm curious. Would a clone have the exact same fingerprints as the "master" human? I ask because identical twins do not.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: