Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » SURVIVOR II POST HERE IF YOU DISLIKE IT.

Author Topic: SURVIVOR II POST HERE IF YOU DISLIKE IT.
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-04-2001 10:34 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thise is for those people who dislike the show or think it's a waste of time. I personaly do not have time to watch it. I just created this for those who do not like the show to make their coments.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2001 04:42 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys. I have not seen any episodes of Survivor I, or, II. PLUS it just looks stupid.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-04-2001 06:23 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never even seen one single second of the show. Frankly, I don't think I'd like it if I did watch it. I don't see what all the commotion is about.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-04-2001 06:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen it, either, nor do I have any desire to do so.

I like really good documentaries, and I'm afraid that this sort of thing--essentially, a scripted TV show posing as a documentary--really gives the concept of a "real" documentary (which should be an essentially unscripted "fly on the wall" film, maybe with a few interviews) a bad name.

"Reality shows" aren't. I don't understand the popularity of them, other than that the production costs are low, compared with programming which involves professional actors...

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2001 11:07 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kills me is the way that our local TV "news" team is hawking this tripe as news events! Give me a break!!!

Pass another quart of FG!!

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 06:14 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Network TV is banned from my place until they get rid of the continuous onscreen logos. Watching CBS feels like that damn eye is staring at you from across the room! They've even got that thing on their HDTV feeds too, so I have to ask what the point of bothering with it is. I wanted to work in TV for a while, I'm glad I decided not to. What'll be next, theater chains putting their logos on the screens?
I've noticed this "Survivor" thing is getting a lot of press, having seen it mentioned on the covers of several magazines. I hope CBS is paying them well to do this, I wouldn't give them any free publicity!

Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 08:51 AM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surviver? How the hell are they going to be in any real danger when there is a full TV crew pointing cameras and microphones at them.

60 MINUTES ran a surviver show a few weeks back and had a team of men and a team of women semi-competing to get from a faked plane crash and they had to walk 100kilometers (about 60 miles) to a rescue site. It was part of a NASA experiment but it looked fake with the intrusion of the cameras and the people knew instinctively that if they got into any real trouble help was nearby.

These shows are why I am watching less TV and spending more time on the internet.

Michael.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-05-2001 09:45 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I watch ZERO television at home. I don't even have a TV that works. Bruce helped me figure out what's wrong with it but I'm in no hurry to make the actual repairs. I might watch an hour or so of TV when I'm in a motel but that's it.

It's funny how you realize just how ADDICTED to television you really were when you don't have one anymore!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-05-2001 11:18 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never understood those stupid onscreen logos, until someone explained to me that it has to do with the Neilson (sp?) rating system. In addition to the "people meter" users, they send out diaries to lots of people every week, who are supposed to keep track of their TV-watching habits and report them to the ratings people. The logos are apparently designed to make sure that people don't forget what station they are watching. I'm told that this is the same reason why radio stations like to repeat their call letters every few minutes. I guess that the underlying assumption is that people are just too stupid to know what they are watching/listening to.

I don't own a TV, either, although I have plenty of friends who live nearby whom I can talk into letting me use their TVs and VCRs when I have some burning desire to watch something. Maybe if the programming available on TV improved, I might buy a set for myself.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2001 12:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The closest I've come to watching it is the little clips they show on Letterman.

I feel about Survivor the same way LEtterman obviously does: It's fixed, it's a waste of time, and it's stupid.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 01:03 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw half an episode of the original....all they did was have a water race, half the people against the other half and the losing team had to vote a member of the team off the island....it was horrible, I really don't know why people would go out of their way to watch that crap....

------------------
"Blood is thicker then blondes" - From the movie, Save the last Dance.

FUNNY!!!!!

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 05:37 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor is GREAT! If you think it's crap... just watch Temptation Island. What a lot of bull that is!

------------------
Andrew McCrea

"I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Drawn That Way!" - Jessica Rabbit

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2001 09:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of them are my best excuse to tune into Discovery Channel,History Channel, PBS, or Animal Planet! And most of these are now in HDTV to boot.
Programs like Do You Want To Be Millionare, and Survivor are one of the main reasons that this country is so full of couch potatoes and stupid people!
Mark @ GTS

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-12-2001 02:14 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would never waste my time watching any of the survivor type shows. If you think they are real you need to get a life. Matter of fact if it has a part two I don't watch it because I know I will never be home to see a part two.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: