Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Seattle area earthquake damage

Author Topic: Seattle area earthquake damage
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2001 06:36 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made it thru the 7.0 major earthquake here in Olympia today unscathed. However we have some major road and bridge damage. One of our old (circa 1900) hotels had the elevator shaft collapse and trap several people in the elevator car. Rescue crews are still working to free them. Several brick storefronts have collapsed onto the sidewalks in downtown Olympia. From what I see on the news Seattle had the most damage even though the earthquake was centered near Tacoma.

Have not had a chance to check local theaters yet.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-28-2001 06:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ken,
I was able to get through to my dad on Bainbridge Island today. He said that it was pretty impressive and lasted for quite a long time. No damage over there but my sister works in Seattle and was 20 floors up when it hit and said it really made the building sway!!
Hopefully there are no deaths as a result. Let us know if any major damage happens to the old palaces around there.
Mark @ GTS

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2001 08:01 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far no damage to any theaters. Only one death reported in Seattle due to a heart attack. Only about 100 people injured according the news.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-28-2001 09:33 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, I was in Cinema 5 in Mount Vernon removing the remaining salvageable stuff when it hit. I just sat there in the lobby smoking my cigarette and just watched it rumble on through. I have lots of equipment in the truck, and it bounced it around a little so all that junk settled better, leaving room for more junk!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: