Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Laptop Hard Drives (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Laptop Hard Drives
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2001 05:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought a 20 gig drive for my Toshiba 435 laptop. The bios, even with updates, will only recognize 8.4 gig of the new drive. I have heard that there are disk management programs by IBM and others that will allow use of the full drive even though the bios does not recognize it. Do any of you have any experience with any of these disk management programs? If so which would you reccommend? Since my 435 has been so reliable for me I decided to install a larger drive rather than get a new laptop. I use the 435 mainly for my R-2 and other sound and lighting programs. At any rate, I got the drive cheaply so even if I'm stuck with the 8.4g it sure beats the 1.3g that it used to be.
Mark @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-03-2001 06:16 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the drive come with a 'installation disk' on a floppy? If so, it should have the required disk management software that will partition and format the drive and allow your system to access its full capacity.

Software such as MaxBlast(Maxtor) or EZ-Drive (MicroHouse, also licensed to other drive manufacturers) should work fine.

Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-03-2001 07:32 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should be able to download the software from the drive manufacturer. I know Maxi-blast does not work with some drives, but I don't know anout the others. DO NOT ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO LOW-LEVEL FORMAT THE DRIVE!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2001 07:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come to think of it I didn't ask the vendor if he had the software, but I'll give them a call Monday. The drive is a Toshiba 20gig. I only paid 200.00 for it which is way under the price that most re-sellersd get for the smaller drives. The other thing I can do is run the new drive in my home computer via a 2.5 to 3.5" adapter to format it but I don't think that will cure the bios problem in the laptop. It will probably only see 8.4 no matter what without the software you memntioned.
I will look for the software you mentioned and give it a try.
Thanks!
Mark @ GTS
P.S. If you are looking for a good deal on laptop drives go to www.ebccomputers.com

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-03-2001 07:55 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark--sounds like you got a good deal.

Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on SCSI drives with 80-pin SCA connectors? I need these for my desktop workstation. Unfortunately, they are commonly used only with servers and thus are almost never discounted. I managed to kill three of the Quantum 4gig drives in one month recently and I'm currently using a 1gig Seagate in the place of one of them, and which I would really like to upgrade.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2001 08:35 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark: What OS are you running, and which version?

Also, have Toshiba's tech support department given you any advice on this?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-03-2001 08:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of the problem maybe the IDE drivecontroller can't see the newer drives
Almost all Toshiba laptops can have the bios flashed via a download from the toshiba site

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2001 08:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I did flash the bios with the latest version and that didn't help it. Apparently they have not or can't do anything for it. It is an older laptop but as I said its been a very good one. It was bought on the advice from the THX people.
Because the Bios flash didn't help out thats why I was wondering about the disk manager software. I think I will have to go that route. If for some reason that does not work I am still way ahead of the game as the 8.4gig is still way more than I had. I also download allot of digital photos while I travel so this extra space will help out allot!
Scott, Did you check the EBC site for the SCSI's? They are about the cheapest around that I know of. Since I can go there and don't have to mail order I feel safer and can return a part if it is bad. I've bought stuff to build around 50 computers so far from them, and only had a few problems with parts. They were all exchanged without question. I highly reccommend them.
Thanks all!!
Mark

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-03-2001 11:41 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try to partition the drive so that each partition has it's own drive letter. 20 gigs divided into 3 drives. Around 6.6 gigs for each drive letter. c,d,e, This is how you should be able to get around the barrier.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-04-2001 01:45 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, there is one other thing to be careful about. Some of the very large drives want a "clean install" (not an upgrade) of the OS. There are ways to get around that, but it can be tricky. If you run into this, maybe Scott or Gordon might be able to step you through. When I install a new king-sized drive, I usually set it up as drive D or whatever. Most of my computers will recognize a drive up to 60 gigs, and will not partition if I use the drive manufacturer's software. Then if I want to use it is a boot drive, I'll just simply use the software (Maxi-Blast in my applications since I use Maxtor drives in all my junk) and copy the entire drive onto the other. This also copies the boot sector. You can't do that via Xcopy 32, because your computer is basically up and running. Any file that is used will not copy over, and it'll just "dump" you..... You have to use the drive software to do it.

If anyone knows of a better way, please tell me.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-04-2001 02:27 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, here is a website about Toshiba drives.
http://www.toshiba.com/taecdpd/support/hdd_faqs.shtml

It cites EZ Drive by Storage Soft and Disk Manager DiskGo by Ontrack.

It sounds as though they want money for the software, so you'll probably ask the vender, "hey-where's my software?"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-05-2001 08:07 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't fit Max Blast on one floppy disk when I tried to download it so here's what I ended up doing. I downloaded the IBM disk manager software from IBM's site. I loaded this onto the drive and its now formatting for 19.06 gig while I'm sitting here typing this. This seems like a very easy to use program. It loads a small dos program on its own boot sector on the drive and then by re-starting the computer with the OS setup disk you then format the entire drive. Seems to be working so far!
Thanks Paul, Gord, and Scott!!
Mark @ GTS

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-05-2001 10:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Here is the actual scoop on this whole thing. The IBM software would not allow me to load Win98. Then I downloaded Max-Blast to my main computer and created a boot disk from that, which it does automatically. With Max-Blast it all worked fine. I was able to reload Win 98 with no trouble. Now If I ever fill this drive up I have real problems!!
Thanks again to all that answered my questions!!
Mark @ GTS

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2001 12:32 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dad has a Toshiba Sattellite Pro 440 CDT.
Unfortunately,it belongs to the place
he works for. It only has Windows 95,
and I dont know how old it is. Hopefully,
someone who owns it will replace the hard
drive before it fails.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-05-2001 06:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Replacing the HD in these is a piece of cake. Its located right under the battery. Just pull out the battery and there it is. Remove two screws and it comes right out.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: