Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Best Buy scam (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Best Buy scam
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-31-2001 12:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone been scammed by the Best Buy "extended warranty" coverage? Here's the situation. You go into Best Buy and purchase whatever (computer, digital camera, video equipment, etc) and get the pressure for purchasing an extended warranty. Commonly these are available for 4 years. The price is pretty good for the insurance, so you go ahead and buy the coverage.

Then anywhere from a few months down the road to a few years down the road the thing breaks down and you must take it in for repair, happy that you paid for a 4 year extended coverage plan that covers everything. But there's only one problem. In order to receive warranty repair you absolutely MUST have the ORIGINAL receipt that came out of the register. Now normally this wouldn't be any big deal...BUT Best Buy uses thermal paper for their receipts and they fade into nothing after a few months! That's right, they will not honor an extended warranty if the ORIGINAL receipt has faded to a blank piece of paper or is even simply not readable. They will not accept a photocopy either!

A few people I know have been burned on this. I'm wondering how many other people are getting the treatment.

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2001 01:07 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, there are distinct advantages to knowing how to program a thermal receipt roll printer. Me? Would I ever do something like that?

Contact your state attorney's office. "Best Buy" has had some legal problems with their extended warantees and tread on thin ice in many states. As an "insurance" these warantees are regulated by state laws. Their policy of requiring the original sales slip is undoubtedly illegal. Local newspapers like to hear about things like this as well, if you catch my drift.

FWIW, I refuse to shop at CompUSA because of their rebate scams. I was burned twice on those.

I will say that a couple of times I have raised my voice in stores loud enough that every customer in the store was aware of my displeasure. All the years of training making announcements to the holding lines can serve a theatre person well. I can still raise my voice in a way that everyone within 200 feet will suddenly go silent and begin listening, and if a store p's me off enough, the employees and management quickly learn about that skill.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2001 01:34 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought a bunch of stuff from Best Buy and have never noticed a receipt fading over time. It makes me want to check some my older ones when I get home this afternoon. Of course, at the Best Buy here in Huntsville, I've had no problems. I have several friends that work there and most of the employees (including the manager) recognize me since I go in there so often.

Like with theatres, management and staff makes a big difference in customer satisfaction at electronics stores.

Evans

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-31-2001 01:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not been burned by it yet, but I have friends who have. It's amazing how the receipts faded to an almost plain piece of paper. Personally, I always make a photocopy of any high dollar receipt...inparticularly if there is a warranty service package with it. I agree with Jerry though, you can get most anything accomplished if your voice travels well enough.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 01-31-2001 04:47 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean that you can actually buy something at Best Buy??? I've never been able to...even the shortest line at my local Best Buy moves slower than a snail and I get fed-up and leave. After three such experiences, I refuse to go back. Seems like 50 employees in the store and only one that knows how to work the cash register. I'm surprised they aren't in bankruptcy.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-31-2001 05:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've patronized the Best Buy in Billings, MT a time or two...their receipts are printed in "classic" blue receipt ink. Not thermal. It's a fairly new store (1 year).

The extended warranty scam does not surprise me, but I doubt it's on purpose. I think I'd photocopy the receipt, then staple the original to the copy, then copy both of them together.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-31-2001 06:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never gotten bitten by this scam simply because I always refuse to buy extended warranties. If I am that much in doubt of the quality of whatever I am about to buy, then I don't buy it! I do more research. I have bought warranties in the past, but never made use of them.

One thing about Best Buy that pisses me off is when you try to buy something that you can also purchase their stupid warranty for, like a camcorder, etc... Anyway, before they sell it to you they ask if you would be interested in the extended warranty. When you reply "No" they ask for a reason. They literally will not let you buy the product until you give them a satisfactory reason. They will keep asking and asking for a reason. So if this ever happens to you, simply tell them that the reason you aren't interested in the warranty is "Because pushy staff and policies that require them to obtain a reason from me are stupid, and I don't want to support stupidity."

Or:

"You're an ugly bastard! I don't feel comfortable giving ugly people any more money than I have to."

Or if you are a religious zealot:

"Because God told me so."

Or maybe:

"Because Elvis told me so."

Or lastly:

"I need to save that money for my hooker."

Always works for me!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-31-2001 07:51 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have sold extended warranties when I worked as a TV salesman. I have mixed feelings.

Yes, they are a way for the store to make extra $$ on the purchase. It's basically free money, just like any other insurance.

On the other hand, even the best products need service. Blow a picture tube in a 35 inch Sony TV or get your computer struck by lightning and you'll be glad you did buy that warranty.

The caveat is that the store that sells them (or the "insurance company" that handles the contract) must be reputable. I don't think Best Buy is the company to buy from.

The answer is read the contract and decide if you want it. If it's "worth it" maybe you should buy it. But don't be afraid to say NO if you don't think it's worth it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-31-2001 07:59 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I am grumpy, but from what I have seen in the retail industry, (especially automobiles) the warrenty expires on the payment of the invoice.

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2001 11:21 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Store warranties are a joke.

Stick to manufacturers that already offer a warranty.

RCA
Pioneer
JBL
Ford

Worthwhile products will be warranted by the folks that built them, not by some store selling a "contract" (provided by a third party).

If the guy asks "Would you like to add extended coverage for only..." Just say no!

Manufacturers want you to have a good experience with their products. The good ones tend to take care of you without the aid of outside "helpers".

I mentioned the four companies that I have had personal experience with. I'm sure that there are others.

Russ

Heyward Garner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2001 12:23 AM      Profile for Heyward Garner   Email Heyward Garner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez...
My computer is from Best Buy, and I did get the warrantyt on it. I have about a year left... But approx. 6 months after I bought the computer here in my hometown, I was away at boarding school, computer on hand. There was a power surge, and my monitor literally blew up. I was in school in Asheville, NC and at the time there was no Best Buy there. Nearest one was Greenville SC. I called Best Buy, told them what happened, and next day a guy drove up from Greenville with my new monitor. The reciept? Not in sight. My parents had it here in Winston-Salem. The guy took the blown monitor, gave me the new one said thanks and left. I was pleased by this. But this is just my experience with them...

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2001 08:47 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A boarding school in Asheville....

Asheville School?
Ben Lippen?

I worked at SEARS for years. I sold alot of maintenance agreements, and most of the customers never took advantage of them. The ones that did got lots of free check-outs and free parts.

I personally will not waste my money.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2001 08:56 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that Best Buy was being sued here in Washington state.

They recently bought out the great Magnolia Hi-Fi (local chain) and now it's going downhill fast.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2001 03:04 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had two very positive experiences with these warranties.

First, a JVC surround receiver, at the time, a $999 unit in 1988, got hit by lightning, knocking out its surround output and some of its functionality. It still worked, but I waited until a few months before the $40 4-year warranty I bought expired. The unit was repaired, with nearly $400 worth of parts, and worked flawlessly after the repair, which cost me nothing. So, I got what would have been a $400 repair job for the cost of the $40 warranty. The unit was repaired neatly and carefully. I couldn't tell that the unit had been taken apart when I got it back, and I used it for years afterwards. That was $40 well spent.

Second, a Hewlett-Packard laser printer. I bought one in summer 1997 and after nearly a year, the printer stopped working. I took it back, expecting it to have to be shipped away for repair. Instead, I was given a NEW printer, new in the box, in exchange for the one that had stopped working. That means not only did I get a new printer, but I got a new toner cartridge with it. I have not yet had to buy a toner cartridge.

I tend to buy extended warranties only if they're cheap enough and cover a significant time period. A 5-year warranty for $50 on an expensive surround receiver that costs near $1000 or more is well-worth it, but such warranties that cost much more are not. I wouldn't buy such a plan on a DVD player, CD player, or VCR these days, since the items can be replaced cheaply. On an expensive unit that I plan to use for many years, I'll consider one.

Evans

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-12-2003 05:30 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost never buy those insurance packages. Sheesh... they push them for EVERYTHING... Buy a $10 nic card... "wanna 2 year warranty on that?"

Basically, the odds have worked in my favor. I've been burned once by a DVD player that lost audio.

A couple of exceptions, though... I did buy the warranty on our home TV, and have used it for maintenance/cleaning visits. The tech once had to replace a switch & some dried out caps.

We also recently bought Sears' top-line front load washer & dryer... got the warranty on that.

Otherwise, I'll take my chances on most consumer goods. Much of it isn't designed to last 6 months anyway.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: