Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Film-Tech's Friendly Browser & Browsers That Should Be Friendly! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film-Tech's Friendly Browser & Browsers That Should Be Friendly!
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2001 06:31 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEY!
I just wanted to know when Film-Tech was going to be friendly to Internet Explorer? I personnally hate Netscape so I hope it will be Internet Explorer friendly soon (if ever)!

Andrew McCrea

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-27-2001 06:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. IE is a joke and has many internal problems with it. ANY internet forum has various issued associated with it when viewed on an IE browser. In 2 years you are the only one who has complained, so all of the extra coding I have added to produce new features on the forum can't be that bad.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-27-2001 07:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ALL web pages should be designed with both Netscape and IE in mind. If you have a page that does all sorts of flashy DHTML crap in IE, then you must design a separate page for Netscape users since Netscape doen't do well with DHTML. The payoff for IE users getting to see flashy DHTML isn't big enough to do that. If your page looks good in Netscape, chances are that it will look good in IE as well. I have looked at Film-Tech using IE and I hate how big it makes the fonts (Microsoft assumes people like big text, I guess) otherwise everything else is fine.

Oh... and if your web page doesn't have 40 animated lopping GIF's, 27 pop-up windows and at least 3 MIDI's playing at one time, your page is no good.
 -

[ 03-04-2004, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-27-2001 07:16 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use IE 5.0 on my iMac. I have very few problems with this forum. What few I do have are solved by refreshing the page most of the time.

The only thing that "bugs" me is that when you are cliking the "next newest topic" link and you get to the top of the list, the pop-up menu that lets you jump to the next forum doesn't work. There are no choices in the menu. It's been this way for a while, now.

It's not an IE problem, per se because I use IE on a windows laptop, too. It doesn't have that problem.

If you don't like the size or font of your browser's default display, why don't you change it? It's under EDIT>PREFERENCES... Then chose the "Language/Font" option and change the settings. I have no problem with my fonts. They all default to 96dpi, instead of the usual Mac 72dpi. Maybe that's your problem?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-27-2001 07:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Must be a Mac thing with IE, Randy. The forum viewed with IE works fine on Windows based operating systems, I just looked. That refresh issue can never be corrected with IE though.

Anyway, I can't possibly keep up with all the various browsers and operating systems. If the site works properly with Netscape on Windows, there is a 99+% chance that it will display adequatly on other systems and browsers.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-27-2001 07:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problems whatsoever using IE on a Mac. I am just talking when I look at the forum from a Windows 2000 PC. I don't care enough about Windows to change anything

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2001 07:22 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only look at the forum in IE5.5 because it is the best browser. Netscape six isn't even complete yet, it is slower and when you need a plug-in you have to go and get it, where as Microsoft (I hate them too) just downloads it for you. Hey I don't want to know how this damn machine works, I just want it to work!

I might not like it, but Microsoft won the browser war just like George W. won the white house. Get over it! Something new will come along and we will all go that way.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-27-2001 07:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that Netscape 6 sucks major ass. I say avoid it at all costs! Use Netscape 4.7x and you will be fine, however.

MicroSoft IE for Mac OS X is the best IE yet, by far.

Hmmmm... it looks as if I am living in this thread. Maybe I should go away for awhile =D

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-27-2001 10:18 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Netscape 6 is a piece of junk. Mozilla shows some promise, however, but it's still very much in beta and seems pretty slow to me.

My own take on things is this: web pages should be coded to the W3C http://www.w3.org specs. Period. The browser is responsible for interpreting the code. If the code is valid, then it should render properly. Sure, some browsers are horribly broken and some implement features that others don't, but it's hard to go totally wrong if you follow the HTML specs and don't try to implement any of the "bleeding edge" features.

Further, web sites should be at least usable without the need for Java, Javascript, Flash, or any other plug-in software. That's not to say that these things don't serve a purpose, but rather that the site should still be usable without them, if not as pretty or slick. Also, low-bandwidth connections should be considered, as such users often turn off auto-downloading of images, etc.

Personally, I use Lynx http://lynx.browser.org/ most of the time. It's a text-only browser that is super-fast; everyone used it circa 1994/95, but now not many still do. Even on this DSL connection, I can get information several times faster with Lynx than with anything else. When I want to look at pictures or have to deal with sites that don't work in Lynx (damn them!), I use Netscape 4.7something, which works fine. I normally use Solaris and, while there _is_ a version of MSIE for Solaris, I've never managed to get it to work (not that I've tried very hard, though).

I really don't like MSIE myself, and won't use it even on a Win32 machine. I admit, though, that this is mostly for philosophical reasons. I can totally understand that it might well be the best available browser software, but I won't use it because I don't like the whole idea of the browser being inextricably linked to the OS and I have "issues" with Mr. Bill's unethical business practices.

Not that I like Netscape, either. They're the company that started the whole "this page is Netscape-enhanced!" thing several years ago and introduced a bunch of proprietary non-standard HTML tags that did cool things but which didn't conform to the spec and were a major threat to the whole idea of the web as being a platform-independent mechanism for distributing information.

Sorry for the rant...

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2001 11:08 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use IE 5.5 and have no problems. I'm in the habit of hitting Shift-Reload when I think the page I'm viewing may be out-of-date anyway. Don't get me wrong, I used Netscape for a very long time. I switched to it in early 1995 when it offered more features (like background images instead of a white background!) than NCSA Mosaic. I switched to IE on PCs in 1997 or so when a lot of sites would not work with Netscape at that time. On UNIX systems, I still use Netscape, though!

Evans

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-28-2001 12:10 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, IMHO, those people who are not using windows and who want to encourage cross-platform compatibility would then try to encourage a certain company to branch out and begin writing good software for other operating systems, right?

Those non-windows users would therefore be doing this by using IE, and other programs like Office Mac. Right?

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2001 11:27 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it not possibel to paste-in text etc. when i am writing a message? I get an error instead?

Btw i use IE.

------------------
Martin Frandsen
Film crazy!, Big 70mm fan!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2001 12:44 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because Brad Miller discovered he could disable that function. In his effort to be all powerfull and with his hatred of IE he went ahead and disabled it. For the most part you can get by with the commands in the Edit fuction on your tool bar.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2001 01:05 PM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhhh.. , yes i understand Brad does not want us to steal the pictures from the site with out asking, i have no problem with that,....but i wanted to post a message and put in a link into my message, but was told the function was disable.

------------------
Martin Frandsen
Film crazy!, Big 70mm fan!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-28-2001 01:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I can paste-in text to my message window. And I can copy any picture I want. I know in windows, some sites won't allow copying of pics. At least not directly... I was on one site that wouldn't let me do it. I figured out a way, though. That same site was easy to grab pics on the Mac, though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: