Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Smooth playback of quicktime

Author Topic: Smooth playback of quicktime
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2001 07:50 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished downloading the large version of the surprise video (I loved the small one so much I wanted a better version of it to show friends). I found that my computer cannot play it back without stuttering and skipping frames and audio.

Can anyone give me any pointers? Perhaps my system is too slow for accurate playback - Pentium 233 with 32M/Ram. I'm using quicktime 4 - any ideas? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-24-2001 08:17 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend adding more RAM. That will reduce the amount of "swapping" that the operating system needs to do and will generally improve overall performance. You want to make sure that the bottleneck isn't the disk (which it is whenever there's a lot of swapping activity going on); even the fastest SCSI and fiber channel disks are much slower than the slowest RAM.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-24-2001 08:56 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what Scott said! Maybe try only running Quicktime and no other apps when you play the file. Or if you are blowing it up to full screen, then don't do that

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-24-2001 06:01 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quicktime eats meadow muffins.

OOPS! Let me back off on that. seems as though the new version of Quick time runs fairly well...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-24-2001 07:10 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turn on virtual memory from the control panel, under that apple menu. Maybe only run one application at a time.

If you can, download the QT 5 Public Preview. They have done some work on the skipping problems but that's mostly for when you're streaming.

If you don't have Mac OS 9, just forget I said anything. ( There's nothing that can help you )

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-25-2001 01:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've got a slow computer in general you may HAVE to run the small version. However I agree on the tips above...close out all other programs that are running and don't blow it up to "full screen" and see if that doesn't clear up the problem.

It was either MPEG which would've resulted in some ludicrous sized download, Real video (which is the biggest joke ever to hit the internet), or QuickTime. In the end, the QuickTime was the best compromize while keeping quality up.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2001 08:15 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the tips! I tried running it on my other computer which has 64M Ram, and it skips too. I think it's time for an upgrade. It probably requires a Pentium II or something like that as a minimum.

The smaller version works well - I'll have to go with that for now. When running in 'double size' the size and framerate is reasonable.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-28-2001 05:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the Quicktimes we put on the site will be compressed with the Sorenson compression scheme. It may indeed require a Pentium 2 (or Power PC) to play it back properly at larger sizes.

If anyone else is using the Mac OS, be sure to download the 70 meg update to bring it up to 9.1. But 9.0.4 should work just fine as well. I personally believe that Virtual Memory is evil. It slows things down. It uses the hard drive to store RAM. Like Scott said, even the fastest hard drive is slower than the slowest RAM. There is no way to disable Virtual Memory in Windows.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-28-2001 07:10 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got 9.1 installed and it's doing well so far. I've had a few problems but I pretty much know what's causing them. (Scanner software. -- Damn those extensions!)

I don't know if 9.1 makes the computer any faster but I get the feeling that the system runs a little "snappier" if that makes any sense.

Also, get the Quicktime 5.0 "public preview". With it I have been able to watch TV streams reliably over my dial-up connection for the first time ever. They aren't exactly the greatest quality but it's good that I get anything AT ALL! Up till this time I just never even bothered using the "QTTV streamer".

As far as VM, I use it on some things and not others. If the thing I want to use doesn't run right with VM one way, I try it the other way. I'd rather just buy REAL memory but that's a whole other issue. (Mostly a $$ issue! )

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: