Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cobb back in the biz

Author Topic: Cobb back in the biz
Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 04:22 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Miami Herald had a story today of how Bobbie Cobb is getting back into the business on a theatre by theatre basis.

His first project is the Dolphin Mall in west Miami. The developer is Swerdlow.
I wish him luck, Miami is a tough market.

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 06:21 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's just hope that their new theatres are an improvement over their old "one size fits all" screen designs. Is the new Cobb company going to be based in Miami or is it still Birmingham based?

There was always something about the "Cobbster" name (for a particular combo you could get at the snack bar) that was neat. I heard many people mention the "Cobbster".

I can still remember every single note of Cobb's policy trailer music that was in use in 1996 and 1997 before Regal took over. I was so used to it that no other policy trailers "sounded right".

Evans

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 10:40 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know where he is going to headquarter. Jeff is remaining retired, so it is just Bobbie. The story in the paper talked about stadium seating, yada, yada, so presumably he has learned to always install movable masking.

I was kinda sad when the Cobb name disappeared, but I never took much to that "Cobbster" name. Anyway, I'm too young to get nostalgic about it all.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2001 09:58 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry says:

>Anyway, I'm too young to get nostalgic about it all.

Well, Jerry, you're probably not missing much. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Sorry, that one was just too easy.

Jerry, since you're a Cobb guru, did you ever hear any strange stories about Madison Square 12 being haunted? There was a thread about this topic (haunted booths) long ago, but out of the blue a few weeks ago, someone asked me what was at Madison Square 12 before it was built and I told him it was probably a field. Then, he said the reason he was asking was because it's a well-known fact that it's haunted. I was shocked. Of course, I tend to not believe these types of things, but the guy insisted that many people that worked there knew there was "some entity" there. Have you ever heard anything like that? A ghost would be a pretty neat thing to blame for poor presentations.

Evans

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2001 11:31 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, you were correct, Madison was built in an empty field.

FWIW, Hoover Square in B'ham had an assistant manager die in the concession storeroom. I remember, because we had a city manager's meeting the following morning and Freddie Dobbs came in after we were scheduled to start without the second Hoover assistant. I asked Freddie where he was, and Freddie said he had died. Freddie could be a cut-up who pulled stuff off with a straight face, so I didn't believe him for quite a while. That storeroom gave me the creeps after that. I wouldn't mind dropping dead in a clean booth during a show, but I'd hate to meet my end in a storeroom facing a rack of bag-in-a-box.

Huntsville, and that whole area of northern Alabama was part of the Indian Nation at one time wasn't it? Who knows what happened there in the past, or on the trail of tears, which ran right near Huntsville, if not through it?
http://www.al-tn-trailoftears.org/explorer/history/native.html

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: