Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "MANAGERS"

Author Topic: "MANAGERS"
Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2001 11:38 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the title of the subject didn't really help in letting you guys know on what exactly it is that I want to hear from you about, but basically anything you guys want to say about managers feel free.

Being a manager I believe that you should be able to perform any task necessary in order for your theatre to operate properly, but I have heard that there are some theatres that designate managers to certain areas, and they do it to an extreme. In my theatre there are managers for box office, concession, and everything else but that really only comes into play on orders, thurs. inventory, training, maintenance, etc. Other than that you are where you are needed. I know that some theatres have their box manager stay in box, concession manager stay in concession, so son and so on. I know that these theatres are doing the business to have all these managers on duty but a manager should still be able to perform duties wherever. Some managers will throw a fit if asked to help out in some other area. Is there anybody here that has a theatre like this and if so does it inhibit operation in any way?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-06-2001 12:57 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes there are too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

I hope your organization is not as bad as Washington State's Road maintenance crew. Six supervisors supervising one worker painting a guard rail.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-06-2001 09:51 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the main thing that makes a manager a BAD manager is the attitude, "There's a "right" way, a "wrong" way and the "COMPANY" way."

People that ALWAYS think they have to follow policy and ALWAYS do things a certain way are less intelligent, IMHO. It's a manager's job to keep "his" building running and he should do whatever he "needs" to, in order to make that happen.

I know that there are 9,000,000 things for you to do and there are just as many people who have to talk to you RIGHT NOW but the worst thing you can do is NOT LISTEN to people. Yes, they may be wrong, or they may be proposing ideas that are just way out in left field. That doesn't mean that they don't deserve a "mimimum" level of attention.
If that's the case then just say, "I understand your idea but I don't think that's a good one."

A manager who just says, "NO", without even listening to the other person is the worst kind.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 11:29 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a better one for you; "Owner!"

Being an owner means being available 24/7. Being an owner means there is no job too small for you to perform. My favorate one is plunging out the toilests in the ladies room. What's up with these girls? The toilets in there clog up 3 to one with the men. Being an owner means never letting being sick be an excuse. Being an owner means there is no one to blame but yourself.

One of these days I am hoping that being an owner will let me buy a boat, but not this year.

Erik Schill
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 02:35 PM      Profile for Erik Schill   Email Erik Schill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my theatre is like that, we have stand managers, box, blah blah blah. We always need 2 managers on because one doesn't know everything. I am THE only person who works for the Hoyts Greece Ridge 12 that knows everything. just me, and I'm not even a manager, I'm just a worthless little supervisor. Our General manager is the sadest however, he knows nothing about projection, very little about concession, and nothing about quikava. I think it would be a hell of a lot easier if everyone was cross trained, but that would be the smart thing to do and we can't do that

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2001 01:18 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the mangers at my theatre do an extraordinary job. I LOVE my job at hollywood hits. The managers are nice and fair people who treat me with a lot of respect, unlike some places that I worked!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: