Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Conversions

Author Topic: Conversions
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-01-2001 12:10 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alys, one of our shift managers went shopping at an end of the year, no returns or exchanges appliance sale 3 days ago and assuming that since she had gas heat, cooking and hot water she also had a hook-up for a gas dryer and so bought a gas dryer. The delivery guys, after carrying it to the third floor said tough s___t and left when they found that no such connection existed. She came to work that evening wanting to know where she could buy a convertor to change electricity to natural gas, her genius boyfriend said they were not expensive.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-01-2001 12:35 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You CAN buy a natural gas fuel cell that'll change gas to electricity, if you have the $$$.

If there is gas service to the building, can't she just have a gas line installed to the dryer? Or is this an apartment building?

Sounds like she's out of luck unless your state has a "Right of Recision" statute. Most states have some version of a law that says that a buyer has a certain amount of time to cancel a contract for a major purchase. It's commonly called a "Buyer's Remorse Clause". Usually it has to be over a certain $ amount and there's limitations on time. If the product has already been delivered, there may be no recourse. Normally this kind of law applies to real estate transactions and car purchases, etc. You MAY be able to "bend" the law a little bit and have it applied to "durable goods".

After that, the only other thing I can think of is whether or not the sales person made any claims as to whether or not she would be able to use this dryer in her home. If the sales "guy" said to her, "Oh, sure! You'll be able to hook this baby up! No problem!", you might have a slim chance. If you could show that the guy outright LIED just to make the sale, you have a good chance. You could even sue the store, but ONLY IF it was a blatant misrepesentation.

What she's going to have to do is get legal help. It might not be worth it, though. Attorney's fees will probably end up costing you more than the thing originally cost. Then you have to factor in the "Pain in the Ass Value" of going through the legal process. If it were one of my friends, I would have her call the State Attorney General's office (Bureau of Consumer Affairs) and ask them what her options are. It's free unless she secures representation. You can find the number in the blue pages of the phone book.

Fail that, she could always sell the thing. First, ask family and friends. That's the easiest. Then try the classifieds in the newspaper. If it's brand new and still in the carton, she should be able to get almost as much as she paid for it. (Depending on how "savvy" she is at bargaining with people)

There's really no way to say this and put it nicely... It wasn't the wisest move she could have made. No matter what happens she has learned a rather expensive lesson.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-02-2001 01:22 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way natural gas prices are going, I would not even consider it. I remember is Wisconsin when I was a service tech, there was an extremely bitter cold winter. Even though I was on the road most of the time, I had to keep the house heated (a fairly new house at that) to keep the water pipes from freezing. I kept the thermometer at 60 degrees, and I was still blessed with a gas bill 600 bucks for that month! I wonder what it would cost today? I have electric heat here at home now in Washington State, and my entire electric bill for the last two months was $275.00. Much better deal....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: