Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Here's My New Site! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Here's My New Site!
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2000 09:21 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Everyone! I'm Starting a new website! I know the address is lenghty, but bear with me! http://server2044.virtualave.net/flix-flix/film.htm

It's going to be like Film-Tech, But less glamourous! And I'll make a newsletter for anyone if they want it! e-mail a blank e-mail to film-flix@mail.virtualave.net

Thanks!

Andrew McCrea
I'm Cute! http://server2044.virtualave.net/flix-flix/film.htm
film-flix@mail.virtualave.net

|  IP: Logged

Scott Oakley
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2001 12:27 PM      Profile for Scott Oakley   Email Scott Oakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should make your email address into a link, so that when it gets clicked a blank email window automatically pops up (from whatever email client the person is using).

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2001 01:21 PM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could not find any links to click on. Whats there?

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 06:26 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry... I forgot to mention it's still being built! It's not that hard... So I'll add Flash soon... Let's say It'll be up and running on Friday, January 12, 2001!

------------------
Andrew McCrea
:) I'm Cute! :)
http://server2044.virtualave.net/flix-flix/film.htm

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 07:25 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

I went to your site and got two pop-up windows! I hate pop-up windows, they are EVIL!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2001 07:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ian. Things like pop up windows may seem cool to implement on a web site, but you will drive your viewers away with things like that. Don't even think about learning Flash yet. You've got an awful lot more to learn about basic html programming. Worry about content first and "flashy" things later.

Scott Oakley
Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2001 12:59 AM      Profile for Scott Oakley   Email Scott Oakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there really a need to have another website that is "like" Film-Tech? I mean, why go to two different websites to do the same thing (get information, talk to your peers in the field, etc...) when the first one is working fine for everyone?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-07-2001 01:29 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad and Ian. But - hey - It is nice to see someone trying.. Keep at it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-07-2001 01:32 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, it is just like Fords and Chevrolets....

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-07-2001 01:49 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There may be no way to get rid of those pop-ups as it seems to be a free hoster.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2001 07:43 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah... It's a free hoster, so I can't do anything about that!!!!!! Oh well... I know how to build perfect sites and I'm just starting to learn how to build with Dream Weaver 4!

------------------
Andrew McCrea
:) I'm Cute! :)
http://server2044.virtualave.net/flix-flix/film.htm

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-07-2001 09:56 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Is there really a need to have another website that is "like" Film-Tech? I mean, why go to two different websites to do the same thing (get information, talk to your peers in the field, etc...) when the first one is working fine for everyone?<<

I too began a website that was going to be everything that Film-Tech is and possibly more...BEFORE Film-Tech.com began... Soon as I visited this site for the first time, I decided to chuck in the proverbial towel... you can still visit what's there (and even sign a guestbook!) but like I said, soon as I saw Brad's INCREDIBLE site, i gave up on the projectionist's website business.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Boulevard/1163

Aaron

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-07-2001 10:19 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I probably have to agree that Brad is way ahead of you, here, Andrew but I think people are missing your point.

I don't think Andrew is trying to build a site to compete with, or even be "like" Film-Tech. I think he's just trying to build HIS OWN website INSPIRED BY Film-Tech. It is an admirable task he is undertaking and it's not as easy as people first think. Just the fact that he's trying to buid a site is enough to give him credit. Most people, myself included, are content to just sit there and click away on the Web. He is giving it his best shot and I think he deserves credit just for that.

Andrew, don't quit just because people say, "It can't be done." Keep on working on it. You can only get better from here!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-07-2001 11:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy's right. I would, however, suggest the following to anyone who wants a personal web site: in addition to the obligatory picture of you and quick bio and contact information and stuff like that, do this:

Find a relatively small "niche" that interests you. This could be a favorite film, a piece of equipment, a period in history, an historic theatre, another person, etc. Learn everything you can about it. Take lots of pictures. Write about the most interesting things that you find and put it, and the pictures, up on the web. Get friends and others who run similar sites to link to you. Spend time in Usenet groups which are related to you topic and post your URL when the information comes up in discussion. Eventually, you'll get listed in the search engines (Altavista, Google, Excite, etc.) and you'll start getting a fair number of hits. You'll get email from people who are also interested in your topic and can provide you with even more information, which you can then add to your site.

I'm not being terribly articulate here, but hopefully you can see where I'm going with this. Get some interesting, original content and put it up somewhere. Forget about Flash, Shockwave, Java, etc. They all do little more than annoy and slow down visitors who would otherwise be interested in what you have to say. Worry more about content and less about form...less is more when it comes to graphic design, and the Film-Tech site is pretty good (except for those damn frames...sorry Brad!). Make sure your site is viewable with old versions of Netscape and also with Lynx (a great little text-only browser which I've used since 1994 and which I still use about 80% of the time).

Like I said, this isn't the greatest description of what I'm trying to say, but hopefully I've made my point...

Oh, yeah...ditch MS Word, since it has created invalid code (check the overlapping tags on line 18 of your page) and spend a couple of hours learning basic HTML. It's really easy. Also, get a little perl script called "weblint" (search for it) to "validate" your code...you don't want to have invalid HTML on your page.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2001 03:45 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that learning raw HTML is the best way to learn WWW development. Believe it or not, my Huntsville-Decatur Theatre Information site was created mostly with vi (a UNIX text editor that everyone loves to hate). I used vi to create most of the text files, then used vi to write Perl code to automate the generate HTML content from data strored in plain old ASCII text files, which were themselves created with vi.

At one point, I tried using Microsoft Word to make the pages, but ended up abandoning it. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some pages that have "Microsoft Word" as the HTML-generator used, although such pages have been edited with vi many times since Word was attempted to be used.

The main thing I need to do to my site is divide that main page up into several smaller pages. The problem is that I have a lot of content I want users to see and be aware of when they first load the page, but it all just won't fit. I am strongly resisting using a special HTML page editor, since I like to know exactly what is going on. (I've been programming computers since 1984 and although HTML page creation is not programming, programming to automate generation of HTML is a nice way to avoid a lot of tedious HTML editing.) The main thing slowing me down on improving the looks of my site is I'm working full time and working on a Ph.D., which doesn't leave me all that much free time to work with the site. That's why I've got everything automated so I can add information and regenerate the HTML with little effort.

About creating a site that is too much like Film-Tech: I've found that in the past, having one large gathering place where nearly everyone goes is better than splitting the community into smaller groups. I've actually thought about putting a forum on my site, but I'd limit the scope to discussions about quality and issues concerning local theatres. It wouldn't be good to try to duplicate what is here on Film-Tech. If I tried that, I'd (most likely) not get any participation due to Film-Tech being established, or (highly unlikely) draw people away from Film-Tech, creating two weak forum-based sites rather than having one highly-used good one (like Film-Tech). I think that the people interested in participation in forums can easily fit here into Film-Tech and the large amount of participation here from a diverse set of people makes Film-Tech very valuable to its community. Usually, when a technical question is asked, someone knows the answer, and sometimes, differences in opinion can be very educational. The more people involved, the more information that can be shared, which is why I think one central site (Film-Tech) for the forums is the way to keep it.

Finding the right "niche" (as Scott said) is the key to creating a good WWW site. Focusing on local facilities/issues is one way to do it. The other way is to try to have some good content that nobody else has, or do something in a way that nobody else does.

Oh, and another thing -- don't be surprised if you make someone mad occasionally. You'll get occasional hate letters and negative feedback from your site if you create a site and have criticisms of anything anyone has ever done.

Evans A Criswell

Huntsville-Decatur Theatre Site
http://home.hiwaay.net/~criswell/theatre/

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: