Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » IDEA FOR YOU BRAD

Author Topic: IDEA FOR YOU BRAD
Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2000 02:49 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not everyone has internet access or a printer for their computer. So why not make something like a pamphlet or a magazine that everyone here at film-tech can subscribe to. Actually, everyone here can be your staff. We just simply e-mail you articles, tips, diagrams, and the like and you edit and slap it all together. Of course this won't fly with the executives but I would subscribe personally if it were to help me. We could then share this material to everyone who doesn't have access to film-tech. These would make great manuals for new projectionist as well as keeping everyone posted on subjects not covered here at film-tech.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2000 04:35 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to speak for Brad, but...

1. Printing costs money, lot's of money.
2. Brad has sunned advertising support in order to stay completely biased, personal bias, I might add.
3. There is a certain order in keeping this group small. There is something to be said by being in an exclusive club. We can speak our minds if we know our audience.
4. Film-Tech is his hobby. Film-Guard is his business. When Film-Tech looks too much like a business, I think Brad will not be able to bear the expense.

Brad, do you want to chime in here?

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2000 05:23 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a bad idea, but I do agree with Ian. Brad probably doesn't want this to be a business. A lot of us like to come here because we're trying to have a little bit of fun... Not buy something.

But, Manuel, Here's an idea, I would love to help you organize a newsletter we could send out to people's e-mail if they wanted it!

Andrew McCrea
I'll Be Back, Forums!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-30-2000 09:23 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say everybody is right on target. Good "idea"... Hard to implement.

Maybe, just maybe it could be a one-time thing like the CDs. Sort of like, "The Best of Film-Tech". That's about as far as I would go with it.

I'd just keep this as "vaporware" right now but nobody knows what might happen in the future, though.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-30-2000 10:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For the time being, I recommend that printouts be made directly from the web pages and sent to your friends who do not have internet access for whatever aspect of tips or information they are seeking. So long as the pages are printed out and kept "intact" with it's origin (aka the "www.film-tech.com" URL), I have no problem with anyone reprinting anything on this site if it will help others in the field. I have always tried to make sure this site will display nicely on an 800x600 pixel computer monitor as well as being "printer friendly", so printing should not be much of a problem. Unfortunately, the idea, while a good one, would require a hired on and most importantly paid staff to print and assemble monthly mailings and the like. I don't see enough people subscribing to a "paid" publication of this sort to offset the costs for doing it. Currently I perform 90% of the website work myself, meaning it is just done in my spare time. (This is why registrations are only performed roughly once a week and sometimes if I am tied up with other work it takes me a while to get new manuals, pictures and other additions posted.) I honestly think the internet is the only realistic way to make such information available and a great deal of the information on this site comes from everyone's participation on the forums...something that would be difficult to sort in a manner suitable for print.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2001 05:26 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Is it OK if I used the FILM-TECH name and sent out a newsletter for you? This way, a newsletter does get out and it doesn't clog up your time!

------------------
Andrew McCrea
:) I'm Cute! :)
http://server2044.virtualave.net/flix-flix/film.htm
film-flix@mail.virtualave.net

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-02-2001 06:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
As of this time I don't see a real need for a newsletter. Most people check the site on a daily basis or at least a few times a week and I just make announcements on the main page. I'm not even sure what to put in a newsletter anyway.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: