Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Napster

Author Topic: Napster
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-29-2000 07:11 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's going on with these guys? I downloaded their player about four weeks ago, but every time I go to register (it won't let you do anything without doing that first), it just says...'connecting to server' and stays there supposedly doing that.

Are they not taking new registrations? Is anyone else using them? If so, could you email them and ask them the above question for me?

ME WANT MUSIC...

|  IP: Logged

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2000 08:18 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got Napster, a couple of weeks ago when I just got the internet. It's a really cool system. I could try e-mailing them for you...

They just got sued for more than $50,000,000 and settled with the music industry at that. It must be like 20 computers that keep track of members... Maybe they're up-grading. Or maybe their system is down!

I'm checking it now... I got in.
http://www.napster.com/status/ check this... It has the answer why you couldn't get in!

Andrew

Erik Schill
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2000 01:38 PM      Profile for Erik Schill   Email Erik Schill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything with napster is running slower then it used to because of all the people on it. I actually downloaded it about a year agao, and at the time when ever you signed on you'd be lucky to have 1,000 libraries, and 100,000 songs, but now days, right now at this very moment 3:38pm there are 10,953 libraries, and 1,903,471 songs. In the begining with my crappy modem I was downloading at around 7.50 k/s, now days I'm LUCKY to get it up to 5.00k/s, and that almost never happens

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-29-2000 08:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the club, Eric. My downloading error rate is not too bad, but yes, it is slow.

However, I have an 80% uploading file transfer error. I feel sorry for those people trying to get a song from me. Wish I could do something that will minimumize the file transfer error. Any suggestions?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-30-2000 05:32 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is odd, I generally receive between 10-60k/sec (depending on the fellow's connection). Things to look for: T3, T1 and cable modems. With cable, they will be exceedingly fast, or painfully slow since they are shared lines. With DSL it just depends on what that person is doing at the time. Sometimes I can get a fast transfer, but most times it is just as slow as a dialup.

On uploading, I used to have that exact same problem running Windows98. I am now running Windows 2000 and the problem has gone away. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the operating system, but am leaning more toward perhaps something along the lines of the newer program download having some bugs worked out. You might uninstall and download the latest one (even if it is the same version, which was my situation). Other than that, do not touch that one setting that says "if you do not know, leave this alone" during the installation. I changed it once and no one could upload anything from me.

Wish I could be of more specific help, but guessing is about all I'm good for in Napsterland.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-30-2000 12:59 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Brad. Appreciate your comments.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-30-2000 08:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Brad. I got a laugh out of the Windows 2000 installation. Report was that most of the crap I had in it was not compatible unless I updated a grunch of drivers. It did, however, fall in love with the 933mhz Intel chip and 768 megs of PC-133...

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2000 09:01 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never used Napster, but I've heard that some ISP's do not allow communication with Napster. For example, from the University of Alabama in Huntsville, attempting to connect to Napster results in the same type of failure as if the server was not responding.

Try pinging napster.com and if you get results like the following, your ISP is blocking Napster traffic.

< 202 pokey.itsc.uah.edu /people/criswell> ping napster.com
PING napster.com (64.124.41.35) from 146.229.2.44 : 56(84) bytes of data.
From 129.66.100.21: Packet filtered

--- napster.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, +4 errors, 100% packet loss

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-31-2000 12:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Napster's been running fine for me lately. We have a DSL and my wife and I each have our own IP adresses so we can both download 10 or more at a time and do it fast. I've been on for about 4 months now and have over 1000 downloads on my HD. Sometines it's slow but usually it runs pretty fast. Definately look for T1 to T3 DSL, or cable connections to download from. Thats also speeds things up alot.
Mark

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2001 02:01 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldnt discourage anyone from using napster or anything like it, but I actually LIKE guying music.
I dont know what it is, but it just feels more right for me to have and hard, legitimate copy of the music than to have some bastard-child copy.
For example, Radiohead's "Kid A" album just wouldnt be complete without all that cool artwork and the little booklet hidden insoed the jewel case.
This may sound cheesy, but I do enjoy artwork and liner notes, although I dont read them that often.
And lyrics, lyrics are good.
I guess i could go online and find all the information about each track thats listed in the disks liner notes, but that would take too much time, and id probably forget to do it, since i dont have a computer in my apartment.
If i had just downloaded, for instance, the Deltron 3030 disk and not bought the album, I probably never would have known that in it essentially being a Del Tha Funkee Homosapien album, that it also has guest appearences by Damon Albarn and Sean Lennon.....on a rap album!!!
Also theres a funny little disclaimer at the bottom of Dr. Octogon's "Dr. Octogonocologist" album that napster wouldn't have been able to get for me.

With all that said, I just want to make it clear that I'm not against Napster or the mp3 market at all.
I have a friend that makes music that he's put on mp3.com. http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/127/flowers_to_hide.html
Also, I have a subscription to REVOLUTION magazine, which comes with a disk with mp3s on it (i think) and links to 100 other mp3s on the web from "legitimate" sites.
I wouldnt mind using that to make my own little compilations.
But completely ripping off someone elses work (no matter how overpaid they are) just aint my thing.
ok, enough product placement, preaching, and rambling; I'm outta here.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-03-2001 04:53 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget, in the days of vinyl, those fold-open album covers used to make a great place to clean out your "stash"!

(Not that I ever DID any of that kind of thing... )

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-03-2001 07:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Napster is great if you want to gain access to long lost songs that are virtually unavailable through the retail vendors. I stash them on a CDROM so I don't lose them. Just to be fair with the musicians and record companies, I usually don't download songs that are currently available. If I do, it is to see if I like the song. If I like the song, I'll go out and buy the CD.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2001 12:43 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<(Not that I ever DID any of that kind of thing...>>

uh-huh.
yeah, sure. :P

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2001 02:26 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh-huh Randy. Any other tales to tell?

I've got a couple of well-used albums, and NO, I'm not bragging!

Now if I can just remember what we were talking about on this thread.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: