Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » If you don't have a turkey wing, then God bless you!

Author Topic: If you don't have a turkey wing, then God bless you!
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2000 11:14 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is a strange post to ask a strange question. This past Friday night, December 23, 2000, I went to the 7:15 PM showing of "What Women Want" at Regal River Oaks Cinema 8 in Decatur, AL and went in the auditorium and sat down at least a half hour before the movie began. Christmas music was being played (in quite good fidelity) through the sound system. I heard songs like "Silent Night" by Bing Crosby and other songs that were either by him or other similar type of singers (Frank Sinatra?).

Anyway, this Christmas song came on that I don't think I've ever heard in my life. It sounded as if it were by this same type of singer. Part of it went, "If you don't have a turkey leg, then [something] a turkey wing. If you don't ave a turkey wing, then God bless you." It ended with a verse with the line "If you don't have half a mug, then God bless you." At the end of the movie, I asked the manager if he picked the Christmas music that was playing before the show, and he said no, that it was an advertisement sent to them. Could someone from a Regal theatre (if you got this song on your Christmas music disc) PLEASE tell me the name of this song and who did it? It's been going through my head all day and it's driving me nuts. I'm a collector of music and it really bothers me that I can't figure out what it is! Help!

I really don't want to call the theatre I visited to ask this question because whoever I ask is going to think I'm a total nut. (It's OK if y'all think I'm a nut.)

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Evans

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-25-2000 07:47 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's an old, traditional, English Christmas song...

Christmas is comming,
The goose is getting fat.
Won't you put a penny
In the old man's hat.

If you haven't got a penny,
a ha-penny will do.
If you haven't got a ha-penny,
then God bless you!

etc....

Could it be a version of this?

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2000 09:34 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that was the first verse, I believe. I found one version of it! The title is "Christmas is Coming". It's a 1958 version on the 1962 album "To Wish You a Merry Christmas" by Harry Belafonte (the one that did the wonderful song "Mary's Boy Child" in 1956, the full-length version of which is also on the album).

However, the Harry Belafonte version of "Christmas is Coming" only has the single verse mentioned above, and not the other verses I heard in the theatre. Anyway, thanks for the tip! I love it when I discover that I have a song I didn't know I had -- and I just bought that Harry Belafonte CD a couple of weeks ago, and didn't even listen to all of it!

Evans

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-25-2000 10:57 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, I found many out-of-print and unavailable songs by artists that have since passed on. (Napster) If they are not available in music stores, that is where I usually go. It is a goldmine for long lost songs.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-26-2000 08:10 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that this song is a lot like "The Star Spangled Banner" or "America the Beautiful". Most people know the first verse by heart but they just end up humming the rest.

I, too, have heard versions of this song where the first verse is repeated over and over... often in the form of a "round". (eg: "Row, Row, Row Your Boat".)

Funny thing... just about an hour after reading your first post, Evans, I heard the entire song on the local radio station. They were playing continuous Christmas music.

Isn't syncronicity great?

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2001 06:49 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans: Your question is not strange at all!

That verse you gave is a Mother Goose rhyme with a few words butchered. Here's what she wrote so long ago:

Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat

Please put a penny in an old man's hat;

If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do,

If you haven't got a ha'penny, God bless you.

Now if theaters can drop MovieTunes at least until the 25th and get some holiday music on we'll all be happy.

BTW, many radio stations this year began playing Xmas music the day after Thanksgiving and won't stop until 12/25.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 12-13-2001 07:55 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have some songs I cant find or remember the title of.
there is one such song that goes "dont let the sun catch you crying"
heard it on a local radio station several years ago.
then there is another that goes something like"Every time I let it go, I didnt want to go" or something like that. I though it was a song by tool, but I've gone through just about every song of theirs and havent found it. Bush may be another option.

If anyone can help, please do(these two songs have been driving me nuts for years).

Josh

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2001 09:34 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying
Gerry & The Pacemakers
(can be found on "The Best of Gerry & The Pacemakers, Capitol. 1979)

Song lyrics and midi

The second one might be "My Song" by Jerry Cantrell

lyrics

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2001 09:52 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To complement what Jerry posted:

"Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" was the FIRST hit by Gerry and the Pacemakers, entering the Billboard Top 100 chart on May 23, 1964, peaking at number 4, staying on the chart for 12 weeks. It was Laurie single 3251. It was reissued in 1970 and only topped at number 112 on the chart ("Bubbled Under").

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 12-13-2001 10:08 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I said several years ago, I meant more like 5 years ago.

sorry

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: