Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » WEBSITE HELP! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: WEBSITE HELP!
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2000 02:32 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying really hard to get stuff on my webpages working, but it just doesn't work! Everything but what I try to do works! What I'm trying to do is make the 'forms' work! If you have no idea what i'm talking about, I'll tell you! The forms are those things where you type text in on webpages and hit the submit button. The text forms I guess you could call them. I know how to build webpages really good, but these stump me! I'd really like some advice if anyone could help me!

Andrew
Merry McChristmas and Happy Holidays!

P.S. This is the only thing they don't teach you in middle school!

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-24-2000 05:39 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Sizzling Jalfrezi has a great HTML reference site. Complete with a forms tutorial!
http://www.academy.net.au/jalfrezzi

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2000 05:53 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, The link isn't working... But it's looks like it could be a good site!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-24-2000 06:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Like a visitor guestbook, or what? What program (if any) are you using? What server are you hosted on? Need to know specifics. Frequently things like this are nothing more than permissions not being set correctly.

Adam Martin

- posted 12-24-2000 08:59 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops. Try http://www.jalfrezi.com

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2000 03:20 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I'm trying to do is get people to be able to subscribe! There's a box for them to type their e-mail and then a submit button. How do I get the submit button to send the address to my hotmail inbox?

Also, Anyone know how to build a survey/vote? I'd like one of those on my site too!!!!

Andrew!

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2000 04:30 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
I'm using Microsoft Word 97 and I have AOL Press, but I hardly use it because Word is by far, way better.

I'm trying to build a subscribtion part, where they just type their e-mail address and hit submit, but I can't get it to actually go to my inbox. I'm also trying to put in a vote where they click a radio button, hit the vote button and then it goes to a site where it shows the number of votes!

Andrew
I'll be back, forums!

Adam Martin

- posted 12-26-2000 11:19 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
For the voting thing, try www.mycomputer.com. They have one that I have used before.

For the subscription/mailing list thing, I use www.listbot.com.

You set both of these up on their sites and they give you the appropriate HTML code to put on your webpage.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-27-2000 04:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For what you are doing, many webhosts have such scripts pre-written for guestbooks and such. What webhosting company are you using?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-27-2000 03:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All guestbook and messageboard scripts require that the web server allow the execution of CGI scripts. Make sure that you have this permission (which isn't normally allowed for standard $20/month dialup accounts which include web space, due to resource and security issues) and make sure that the scripts are in the right directory (usually ~/public_html/cgi-bin) and that the permission modes are set correction (usually 0755 or 0705 should work). If you have access to the web server's error log, see what error you're getting. These scripts usually need modifications of various types (for example, you may have to know if Perl is located in /usr/bin/perl, /usr/local/bin/perl, or somewhere else entirely on your machine).

Here's another tip: ditch MS Word. It's an absolutely horrid product for generating HTML, since it appears to be incapable of generating valid HTML. I'd suggest doing the HTML by hand (do a search for "Beginner's Guide to HTML" at UIUC). HTML isn't rocket science and hand-coded pages will load faster and appear cleaner than "generated" HTML. (end of rant...sorry)

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2000 06:17 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know how to do pop-up windows when entering or leaving sites? I'd like to do those too!

Brad, I don't quite, exactly get what you mean by webhosting company, but I could say Videon @HOME Cable Internet Service...

Andrew McCrea
I'll Be Back, Forums!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-27-2000 06:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pop-up window thing is done through a bit of Javascript code. There should be plenty of places to grab pre-written pop-up-window code to let you do this.

Personally, I think it's tacky and annoying, and pop-ups won't display if the user has chosen to turn off Javascript in his browser or is using a browser which does not support Javascript (either by choice or by necessity), but I won't get into that here.

Oh, BTW, here's the link to the "Beginner's Guide to HTML" which I highly recommend:
http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimerP1.html

Adam Martin

- posted 12-27-2000 10:25 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another site I use when I can't remember exactly what I'm doing. www.htmlgoodies.com

Lots of great tutorials, including javascript.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-27-2000 10:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, try and stay away from popups and force-played music on a web site. Sure this is my own personal opinion here, but I absolutely hate those. Navigation is what I feel is most important in a web site. Also, as much as you may want to put your text in a graphic so you may use a certain font, this will severely slow down the load time of the web pages. Film-Tech.com may not be the flashiest looking site on the internet, but the way I've always looked at it this site is about information and speed is of high importance to me.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-27-2000 11:16 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen!

I HATE sites that do that stuff!
If a site does a pop-up on me, I close it without reading it. It will only slow down the loading of the rest of the site. If the window pops up again. I go off the site.

Sites that do gratuitous graphics and sounds will lose my business almost immediately. I will put up with that junk ONLY if it doesn't slow the download or if I REALLY want to see something. -- Sometimes Brad's "Pictures" pages load slowly but I WANT to see them so I will wait.

I have a modem connection and it can get pretty slow sometimes. I can be a real bastard about sites that use up bandwidth without asking me first. (eg: "Click here to download a bunch of pics.") -- Use "thumbnailers"

I give a site about 10 seconds to show me what it has to offer. If it doesn't interest me in that amount of time... CLICK!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: