Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » MAKING TRAILERS FROM TRAILERS

Author Topic: MAKING TRAILERS FROM TRAILERS
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2000 12:09 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever made theri own trailer from other trailers?
Iv'e got one that I've been working on since June.
It plays GONE IN 60 SECONDS straight up until Angelina Jolie says "What do you think is more exciting, having sex....." and then it goes into clips from other trailers.
I think its about 4 minutes long now.
The soundtrack doesnt always match up of course, but thats really cool cause some of the bleed over from one clip into the next actually fits
If it werent expensive to transfer film into video, I think it would be cool to do just that and post it on the web.

Another thing this guy did about 5 years ago was to biuld up a bunch of trailers that he had collected and we watched them.
I dont remember what he had on there, but i think at one point it lasted something like an hour long.
It was pretty cool.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-24-2000 02:26 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fellow projectionist and I did just that, and the finished product was an almost full 2000' reel.... If we knew now what we knew then we would NEVER had hacked up all those classic 70s and 80s trailers and [partial] cartoons, etc (a lot of IB Tech stuff got hacked up for 'just one scene' for the 'movie'

its still enjoyable to watch tho.

Aaron

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-24-2000 02:29 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that was in 1981 by the way, we never realized what we had done until years later...

-AS

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-24-2000 05:55 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of guys I knew would always take things "out of context" when they watched a flick. It later led to cutting up trailers and reels of film that was headed to the junkyard for destruction to grab a line here and a line there. If I can ever find that thing, I'll see if I can get some sort of flicker-fest transfer made here. It was pretty funny.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-24-2000 09:06 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back a couple of summers ago when all the movies seemed to have things exploding in them we took a bunch of trailers and cut out all the exploding scenes in them and made our own "mini movie". We called it "Kaboom". It was pretty funny but it was best watched with the sound off. The sound tracks didn't match up very well. Besides, everybody knows what an explosion sounds like!

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2000 09:27 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made a "customized trailer" once. I used scenes from a lot of different trailers which I put together randomly with no real plan in mind. I did things like switch between the 1.85 and scope versions of the same trailer, reverse the soundtrack, and intentionally splice out of frame. The funniest part was the beginning where I put on a lot of different green bands. The rating of the film kept changing.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-27-2000 03:11 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did an "exploding things" trailer once, which turned out pretty well. One night, management rented out the theatre to band to perform a concert (which ended up being a really bad idea for a lot of reasons, but I digress). They had a song called "Fear," and I ran the "exploding things" trailer compilation on the screen behind them while they performed the song (with the lights dimmed, of course) and it worked really well...the crowd and the band both loved it.

I've had a lot of fun with "midnight show" trailer reels. These always included some vintage "coming soon" snipes (for lack of a "not coming soon" one), old trailers for bad movies, short :30-2:00 animated things from some odd reels of an animation festival that I inherited (classic example: "In-ter-mission! Visit our concession stand for... thirst-quenching olive juice! olive corn! weiners!" with pictures of the appropriate olive-colored food), an extended SMPTE clock-sweep countdown with the numbers out of order, more bad trailers, etc. These usually went over pretty well...the Rocky Horror crowd especially loved the talking Bic Lighter trailers and such.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2000 04:41 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw an old Looney Tunes cartoon on
Cartoon Network one time in which Daffy
Duck was the assistant for a movie theatre
projectionist. He spliced together a
trailer made of clips of 1930's & 1940's
newsreels, possibly Movietone.
Another program that showed some vintage
black&white trailers & color footage
was Marlo&the Magic Movie Machine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: