Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Help! My reel to reel died! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Help! My reel to reel died!
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 12-22-2000 02:03 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I have an Akai 280DSS quad tape deck. I acquired it from a friend. I cleaned it up, and tried to make it work. no luck. Tried rapping on the control board and, Presto!
all that rapping must have wore off, it no longer functions. any help or a schematic would be appreciated.

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2000 03:40 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sniff....Brings back memories of when dad's 8-track finally gave in. How will I ever explain the joy to my kids of the program change (CH - CHUNK) and the hit and miss of finding songs in audible fast-forward?

------------------
Dave Bird

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2000 09:15 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the owner of old stereo equipment, I'll chime in here:

How hard did you whack it? Any chance you broke the PC board under the control switches? You might have a gooked up switch that is partially engaged...

I've got an old Pioneer reel to reel. If there is a chance of getting a schematic, I'll post the model #. I love things that go KLUNK when you push the buttons.... Except a movie projector...

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 12-23-2000 11:13 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't hit it hard enough to damage the board. My guess would be a bad solder connection, or a bad control transistor

wish I could find a schematic.
maybe in my stocking

Josh

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2000 08:52 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My reel to reel is a Pioneer RT1020L.

I will gladly pay for a copy of the manual.

Ken? Ken Layton? YOU, oh master guru, are the famous KING of the manuals! Please? HELP! There are 2 of us in need!

Reel to reel RULES!!

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2000 04:50 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also hav an Akai reel deck. There is an
article in Popular Electronics on restoring
& repairing reel to reel decks. You might
check the Online Radio Trader website or
look up Kurluff Enterprises or Online
Radio Trader in the search engines
besides reel to reel tape decks.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 01-01-2001 11:08 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt, can I call you Matt?
what issue of popular electronics was that article in. very interested.

Josh

------------------
"where to they teach you to talk like this, in some Panema City wana hump-hump-bar? sell crazy someplace else. we're all stocked up here" As good as it gets

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2001 11:18 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a manual, but I know someone who does. Contact my friend Frank Burnham here in Olympia. He lives across town from me out in the sticks.

Here's his address:
Frank Burnham
6931 Whitaker
Olympia, Wash. 98502
(360) 866-0055

He doesn't always get to the phone, so sometimes it's better to write to him. He's got TONS of consumer equipment service manuals.
And mention I sent you.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-13-2002 04:32 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bringing this back to life.

Josh sent me this deck to repair for him. So far, I have found a defective micro-switch, and I also found what I think is a fusing resistor burned out on the control logic board. There is another like it on the same board, and it measures about 2 ohms or so, but the other is open.

So far, I at least got the machine to rewind, but the play circuit does not engage the take-up motor or the capstan.

Ken, I will call that gent you referenced, and hopefully, he might be able to at least identify the part. I really don't want to stuff something in that circuit that may cause more damage. Does he have an email address?

Anyone else have a deck like this? As Josh said, it is an Akai Model No. 280DSS. It really is a spiffy machine, and is well worth saving for him.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 07:39 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Akai stereo tape deck model 4000DS with the service manual, lovely machine and very reliable when I used it in the cinema until I purchased two Revox A77 Mk 4 full track stereo @ 15 ips.

Visit the Akai website: www.akai.com

Information for purchase and after sales service.

U.S.A. & Mexico: E&S International Enterprises, Inc.
7849 Canoga Avenue, Canoga Park, CA 91303 U.S.A.
Tel. 1-818-887-0700 Fax. 1-818-702-2202

Might be worth a try for a copy of the manual.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 09:57 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How I always wanted an Akai Quad machine! I was never able to lay my tarry mits on one though I only ever got as far as the 2+2 models. Wish I still had that too, I seem to be developing a love for sound gear of a certain aged, having just repaired a Dynacord tube power amp I was given, I'm setting about the elderly 24 channel studio master desk that's sat in the loft. Also serviced my old Marshall guitar amp and dug out my Fender Strat (strings have rocketed in price since I last bought any!) Someplace I have a Sansui quad stereo processor in that loft too, and there should be an RCA ribbon microphone hidden away also.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-13-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard, I might have to go that way of Ken Layton's friend does not have one. So far, I have not located a web site that has the subject model. Maybe I am not looking in the right places.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 12:46 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to contact Akai or the person Ken suggested, you could try
Marty Gasman mgasman@tiac.net

A comment from one website:
"Curiously,the matter of Akai cold solder on the 280DSS/GX280DSS has been brought up. I've known at least 10 people with these machines,and
the problem manifests itself a little differently in each one. Mine lost its "stop" mode,never to be recovered(currently a door stop in my barn, another guy had his go into reverse during 4 channel playback, another would play exactly half the tape, then rewind automatically, and ad nauseum. Akai's remedy was the GX270DSS, completely redesigned from the 280.

From newsgroups:
"The 280DSS and similar models, like the 285D, are notorious for bad feedthrough connections on the relay board (system control). Pull the board, resolder them all carefully, and you should be OK."

"Oh by the way, those chips that are used in the
record and play amplifiers on t6he Akais, they are scarce as chicken
teeth. They use them in the CR80DSS and the 1730DSS also. I imagine
they use them in any other akai gear of the same vintage, stereo or
quad. If I'm not mistaken, the 280DSS and the 1730DSS use the same
record and play boards. those same boards were used in the stereo
versions as well. there was just one of each. "

That is about all of the searchable info you'll find on the net.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 01:25 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul:

My friend Frank Burnham has many original factory service manuals for lots of brands. It wouldn't hurt to call or write and tell him I sent you.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 02:38 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how to get the program-change mechanism on an 8-track player to start working again? I have a Sharp QUADRAPHONIC 8-track player that is now stuck on program 2; the program switch button sends a pulse but something on the other end's not responding and I'm too dumb to figure it out. For quad tapes it's supposed to pulse it twice each time. If I can't fix it before I find another machine I'll have to just pick one up.
I have a few DTS-encoded CDs made from quadraphonic reel-to-reel tapes (made by someone with their own DTS-encoding software. Pretty neat.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: