Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » poster frames for home use (?) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: poster frames for home use (?)
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-10-2000 08:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a "serious" collector of movie posters, but I do have a few (most of prints that I own) that I would like to display without causing damage to them with tacks or tape. (Nothing that would be valuable to anyone but me, though...)

Does anyone make relatively cheap movie-poster-size frames that would be appropriate for home use? I don't want the full-blown theatre-type wooden or metal cases...just a simple plastic thing that will hold the poster in place without tape or tacks would be ideal. I really just want something like a big picture frame that is cheap and doesn't look horribly ugly.

Who (if anyone) makes something like this? Where can I get one? Any ideas? Surely there must be serious poster collectors out there who have needed this in the past...

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-10-2000 09:49 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I never could find any. Luckily (for me) the company I used to work for had me on the close-down crew for dead theaters and I would be the first tech in on the last night of operation and -oops- they were on the wall yesterday . . . Although, sometimes I had to drop off a few at the Director of Operations' house.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-10-2000 10:10 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Video Stores, like Suncoast and the like have plexiglass "sandwich" frames for sale. They cost about $25 apeice. I'm going to get a couple for the two Tomorrow Never Dies posters I have hanging in my living room. (I just found out that they have been selling for $50 apeice.)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-10-2000 11:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The frames Randy speaks of aren't super fancy, but definitely do the job and will protect the poster. Suncoast is the only place I know of to get them, but surely there are others.

Doug Fields
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2000 06:18 AM      Profile for Doug Fields   Email Doug Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scott,
Check out this site: www.allposters.com
Not only do they have frames for sale, but they have zillions of posters. Many times they don't know what they have, as evidence of the US version of "The World is not Enough" is still selling for $13.99.

Have fun
Doug Fields

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2000 07:11 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 4 of the black plastic poster frames. They do a very nice job, although I wouldn't want to change the poster frequently. They were about $20 at Media Play.

For temporary use, I bought 2 strips with rollers in them, like they use at pizza restaurants to hold the order slips. You just slide the poster under the roller and it is held up without any pins. Then, when you want to make a change, you just slide out the poster and slide in a new one. I got them at OfficeMax, but most office supply stores should have them in stock or should be able to get them very quickly.

Mark Lensenmayer

------------------
"As a moral to young men who come down to the city, don't go round breaking people's tambourines."

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-11-2000 10:49 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could also do what they do at museums... it's called "Mylar Encapsulation".

You get some big sheets of clear Mylar and use archival quality tape and make a giant "envelope" to put the poster in. My girlfriend is in charge of a museum and that's what they do to store their valuable posters and stuff. They leave about 1/2 inch over the edges so there's room to tack it up or put it in a frame without touching the poster itself.

When you check those poster places, make sure they aren't selling "reproductions". They'll often say "Original Release Poster" but they'll really mean "Reproduction of an Original Poster". I got stung like that on my Cinema Paradiso poster. When I got it I unrolled it and found that there was no printing on the back and the image didn't go all the way to the edges! I was pissed but I looked at the catalog again and it said in fine print, "reproduction". I still kept it, though. It's hanging on the other side of my living room.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-13-2000 05:01 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
posters didn't always have prints on both sides...nor did the one sheets or daybills go all the way to the edges...

Most of mine are as you described and a quick glance at the posters section of ebay will tell if you they are worth real money.

Such as my original 3 sheeters for Star Wars (1977) and The Empire Strikes Back (1980) for example.

I've also got a 3 sheet for Convoy, although somehow, I think it's perhaps not worth as much.

"Breaker one-nine, this here's the Rubber Duck"...

Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2000 06:41 AM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poster cases.I got several from a theater which was being remodeled.They were just going in the dumpster anyway.The manager said"Take as many as you want" I put four in my home theater,and gave the rest to friends.These are the real(REEL) things. See if you can locate a theater that is closing or being remodeled.To buy these from a theater equipment company would cost well over one hundred dollars each.(Even for the basic models) Mine snap open and closed;to change posters. Good luck.

------------------

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-19-2010 04:42 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 3324 days since the last post.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2010 04:42 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Suncoast
is where I used to buy my frames... I don't think they exist anymore, do they?

I also checked out
quote: Doug Fields
www.allposters.com
but they don't seem to offer frames the size of a one sheet (or did I totally miss that on the website?)

Has anybody gotten a one sheet poster frame recently?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-19-2010 05:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be able to get perfectly sized frames at a place called Media Play (which no longer exist) for about $15 each. I went around town to all of the different Media Play outlets and bought ALL of their poster frames in the one-sheet size. Lucky I did, because they closed a couple of months after I did this. So I have about 12-15 of the frames. They are pretty nice with a black frame and cover the poster with plexiglass. However I have not seen any similar frames for sale anywhere since.

-

Note: I only have the Pirates poster because I think it looks cool, not because I am a fan!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-19-2010 05:02 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found a good black plastic frame a K-Mart for about $25.00. It's nothing fancy, but it does the job and actually looks pretty good.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-19-2010 05:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Note: I only have the Pirates poster because I think it looks cool, not because I am a fan!
Uh huh. And Phil only has the 17 Again poster because he thinks it looks cool, not because he likes Zac Efron.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2010 05:59 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Notice how the Kill Bill Vol 2 says "Final Cut", yet QT is working on another Kill Bill film and he says The Bride will be back......

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: