Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

Author Topic: AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2000 03:50 PM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OI OI OI

The Olympics are great!

The USA is slightly in front of Australia but when you look at our population we are miles ahead. Australia has a pop of about 20 million versus 270 (?) million for the USA .

The most noticeable supporters from other countries have been the Dutch and the Canadians, both in large numbers, and small amounts from everywhere else.

Paul

|  IP: Logged

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2000 07:58 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all admire the way you Aussie's support amateur athletics. Obviously, it's a priority there. In North America, amateur sports are largely ignored, we'd rather moan and complain about spoiled millionaire athletes. Sadly, our governments provide nothing close to your fabulous training and support to your young heroes. Good On Ya, OZ! And I wonder, why am I not at Bondi???

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-22-2000 02:07 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>why am I not at Bondi???<<

Because some nitwit's built a bloody great Volleyball stadium on it?

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2000 07:54 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the only sports venue in the world where the end seats are worth more, at least, for the women's matches !

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2000 11:09 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, as a former competitive swimmer, that I have been enjoying the swimming coverage on NBC. I don't think I could do the 100 now. There has been some criticism that there has been too much swimming coverage. It seems like NBC has only covered swimming and gymnastics in prime time. They are covering team sports on MSNBC and CNBC.

What has the coverage been like in Australia? What has the coverage been like in Canada? Has any television covered Shooting, Archery, or Weightlifting? What other sports are we Americans missing? I even hear that there has been some Sailing.

They won't show us tennis or badminton but we get every preliminary in Swimming.

America has a zillion television channels. Next time they should televise all the sports live with minimal commentary and they offer a wrap-up show on the prime time network.

Well Swimming is over tomorrow and then we move on to Track and Field. I hope they show some Shot Put.

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2000 07:29 AM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Australia, the coverage has been excellent, Channel 7 has exclusive rights so is doing it all day. Every other channel is limited to 3 minutes of footage/interviews per day!
Sports I have seen on TV are swimming, beach volleyball, archery, pistol shooting, triathlon, cycling (man that Madison is a great event), water polo, hockey, tennis, equestrian, canoe/kayak, rowing, diving, weightlifting, gymnastics, track and field events.
I haven't seen sailing, badminton, table tennis (I think it is on), mountain bike or boxing although I havent really been watching.
Did anyone see those swimmers from central Africa, they had only been swimming for 9 months, had never swum more than 50 metres, had borrowed gear, didn't know how to turn around at the other end, 2 got disqualified because when they said "On your marks" they jumped in and the third barely made the distance. They were sure having a great time and were part of the Olympic spirit.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2000 09:16 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Canada, the CBC runs Olympics pretty much all day, save for news which is worked around Olympic schedule. Live from 3:30pm eastern (6:30 am OZ) to set up the days events to about 9am eastern (midnight OZ). Then throughout the day, replays and highlights for the non diehards. Everything is pretty well covered with only the slower events (fencing, table tennis, shooting) which get a digest type wrap-up. Triathlon, athletics, field hockey, rowing, canoe/kayak, water polo, softball, basketball, trampoline, gymnastics, swimming, mountain biking, cycling, sailing, volleyball, beach volleyball are all things I've watched. You Americans should try to catch it (Anik E2 satellite), I guess there's been a lot of complaints because NBC is doing the "tape delay" thing.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2000 08:29 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were watching the beach volleyball last night, and I say, "I wonder if they just use the sand from Bondi Beach?" My sister-in-law says no, that they actually brought it in from the Muskoka Lakes region here in Ontario, Canada! Hey, we don't have salt water or waves, but I'll agree, the dunes here do have very nice sand, and apparently, the best kind for beach volleyball. It all sounds pretty silly to me, shipping sand across the world to a country that surely has lots, but hey, it's the Olympics!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-24-2000 02:19 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave

She was pulling your leg. To get her back, tell her the Sydney Harbour Bridge is going to be given to the country that wins the Men's Marathon as a sporting gesture.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: