Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Politically incorrect non-sync (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Politically incorrect non-sync
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-18-2000 07:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have examples of totally wrong non-sync to play before a particular feature? Ones I would love to inflict on a paying audience but have never dared include...

'Driving in my Car' by Madness before 'Crash'

'Stand by your man' by Tammy Wynette as customers are walking in to see a feminist art movie

'The March to the Scaffold' by Berlioz before any film about the death penalty...

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-18-2000 07:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a old projectionist who used to play marching music and the little old ladies on there afternoon special used to think it was grand
If only they new how sick this guy was he would play marches of the SS for the Jewish Ladies retirment matinees

After it was discovered he was let go

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2000 10:11 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been running "Ben Hur" and I've found myself with the urge to put on Eric Idle's "Always Look at the Bright Side of Life" immediately after the film concludes. I haven't done it of course, just thought about it.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2000 12:39 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to make sure that whatever I put on for music for non-sync is in the public domain! As I would prefer to not be scolded... Funny thing though, all the ones that get played are from my own music collection, making it rather tempting to swap out a few things...

Bah. I behave, during business hours anyway. Our selection usually rotates between Classical Meditation, vol 1 & 2, or some Liszt, Chopin, Vivaldi, Gershwin, or Holst.
AFter-hours on Thursday is another matter entirely!

~Gracia *The projectionist with the purple hair* Babbidge

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2000 03:08 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll confess to messing up a few times getting used to the equipment at the theater I just started working at (no problems tonight though!) My first couple days I kept forgetting how different the Strong platters are from Christies (yes, Christies are better!) so films would start but the take-up platter wouldn't take up, stopping the film and subjecting the audience to more "Theater Radio Network". The last time I did this the CD was playing "Oops, I Did it Again" by Britney Spears! (First time I ever heard that song, too!)

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-19-2000 02:25 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the old indoor I worked at when I was a kid, we always had Glenn Miller hits. And if I got tired of that, I could change it for the Benny Goodman or Mantovani 8-track. I think we had a Henry Mancini tape, too, when we wanted to get radical.

I grew to appreciate that style of music though, and when I DO listen to music radio today (rarely), it's always the Big Band stations!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-19-2000 02:54 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projectionist who played Nazi marches sounds like a charming bloke... One thing struck me, though: where did he get them from? I mean, you can't exactly walk into your local Virgin megastore, head for the easy listening section and pick up a 'Best of the SS' double-CD compilation!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-19-2000 06:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ex-bosses (back in the 70s) had an 8-track player for pre-show music. Somebody gave them a "quad" tape (remember them?) of Lynn Anderson's "Rose Garden" album...so when it played, half the time we'd hear the vocals + one or two instruments, and the rest of the time we'd hear the rest of the instruments, due to the way a quad tape sounded in a standard player. When I tried to explain it to them, they said "it sounds fine to us...leave it alone" so we were forced to live with it until they retired.

Apologies to you young folks, who possibly don't understand any of the above!!

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2000 12:08 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I've got a quad 8-track player hooked up to my 'home theater' system- it rocks! I've always wanted to hook it up to a theater's sound system, I was disappointed to see the CP500s only have 2-channel non-sync even though they finally added regular RCA jacks for them.
You simply have not lived until you've heard Enoch Light's "Permissive Polyphonics" in quad- it's 'Muzak-style' covers of songs like "Let it Be" and "Scarborough Fair" done with Moog synthesizers that gratuitously pan through all 4 channels, with some parts sung by "studio-type" vocalists.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2000 02:40 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Play some Beastie Boys or Insane Clown Posse for your non-snyc. You'll get reprimanded or let go real quick. Not that I speak from personal experience or anything.

Personally, I've been tempted to play music that's just plain iritating. Bagpipe music, Herb Albert, or the entire Ravenous soundtrack in general. And I was tempted on a few occasions to sync a CD with the end credits that just wouldn't match. For instance playing some obscure track from one of Jerry Goldsmith's soundtracks like Total Recall or First Blood as the end credit music for Duets or Nurse Betty.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-20-2000 06:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Young man Bagpipes arn't irratating
I fye are not carefull a wild hagas will attack ye

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2000 01:19 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I do have to admit I like James Horner's music.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-21-2000 01:25 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Play some Beastie Boys or Insane Clown Posse for your non-snyc.<<

I went to one of our theatres on a routine general service call and powered up the booth , the CD player started automatically on power-up and I was working on some things in the booth then went downstairs to check a masking problem and opened the auditorium doors and the speakers in the house were cranking out Rap...complete with full-on profanity... I ran upstairs and opened the CD player (a 5-disc changer) and i couldn;t believe what was in there... Along with the obligatory Yanni and Enya discs were the X-Files soundtrack which is 'hard' enough as-is, and the source of all the profanity; the 'He Got Game' soundtrack!! I removed them and asked the manager WHY they were in there in the first place... The soundtracks were given to the theaters as promotional items, and the manager figured they were for use as non-sync music... I gave him a quick lesson on what not to play for a movie audience, and when in doubt, to pre-listen to anything before it goes into the CD player, and not to use any of the 'parental warning stickered' CDs (such as 'He Got Game' as non-sync... I am amazed nobody ever complained...

Aaron

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2000 01:29 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else have the system that I do? One CD player located in the office that controls all the non-sync in the lobby and the theaters. It sounds like a lot of you have players for each auditorium.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-21-2000 01:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse, you can hook up that quad player into the CP500 with a little creativity and a custom format.

Dwayne, we used to change the end credit music ALL THE TIME at the college campus theater. The crowd loved it. The worse the blend, the bigger the applause and laughter was. That Debbie Gibson cd worked wonders for drama and action movies! (Fortunately the system was wired through a multi channel mixer board, so we could do a quick audio dissolve from those movies where the end audio blended straight into the end credit music.)

By the way, did anyone run their reissue Wizard of Oz print with the Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon disc after hours? A friend of mine did. I thought his theater could've done quite a bit of business running that as a weekend midnight show that way (provided the copyright could've been cleared). DTS should've made an alternate set of cds for special midnight movies like that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: